This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    I dont really have a problem w/ it...I do however think our run defense would suffer a bit and i wouldnt call that one of our strengths as it is. The rush would be better, though. Last year, I actually agreed w/ this idea but, like i said, I do worry a bit about the run defense.

We still need to figure out what exactly is going on, firstly.
    Zach Thomas will have plenty to say about our run defense. Trust me.

But seriously... these moves along the D-Line should only improve our run defense if anything. Ratliff has more speed to chase down backs who try to cut it to the outside and Spears has always been good at tackling guys head on rather than in pursuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
      I touched on this yesterday I believe. Actually it was 2 days ago...and our lack of depth at the NT position of Ratliff did in fact play end from time to time...how our NT cupboards would virtually be bare. I think I mentioned the idea of keeping Dixon or Remi.

The great thing about Spears inside is that we get our best three DL on the field at the same time....Spears is the only one who see a reduction in time...and I think it's been due for a little while.

And my favorite part about this is....if we have Ratliff wearing out...or tank wearing out...we have the depth to give them a series off.
      Well it seems our DL is getting lots of attention this training camp and there is lots of movement afoot.

Hatcher has been the best DL allegedly and manning up versus Bigg which is something I say. The dude has done a few Reggie Whitte power moves which are wow versus Bigg......

Tank and Spears to NT makes sense because it is true what Wade says which is Ratliff is so quick and lining him up oppositte one of our OLB give us some pop on the strong side. Though surprising, Spears is allegedly pretty good at NT so far. Good lateral quickness while stout in the run -- his two gap days with Duane serve him well.

But Canty, Spears, Ratliff, Tank and Hatcher with Bowen is an excellent rotation of athletes. Maybe carry a seventh as a true NT just in case.

Regradless, if I project our youth into 08 -- I think as good as NE personally.

Comment

• "But Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday the players aren't making a permanent position switch. Much like Ratliff thrived in a transition from end to nose tackle last year, Phillips wants to see if Spears can become another interchangeable piece on the line after starting three straight years exclusively on the edge."

"It just gives us more options and more abilities," Phillips said. "I really think Ratliff is a real strong defensive end and I think Spears can be strong at the nose. When we get our rotation down we'll see, but I think both of them could play either position and that's what we're looking at."

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          Zach Thomas will have plenty to say about our run defense. Trust me.

But seriously... these moves along the D-Line should only improve our run defense if anything. Ratliff has more speed to chase down backs who try to cut it to the outside and Spears has always been good at tackling guys head on rather than in pursuit.
          Thomas is no doubt smarter than the average LB on our Corps but he really looks out matched at times in those obvious running downs. If a guard get a free run at him, which happens lots in the one gap, he really has issues. He so small and frail it seems. But in so far as brains, yeah an upgrade over Bradie.

Comment

• Am I the only one who was very disappointed in Robert Jones, our ILB from back in the day? Fast, but stiff and not very instinctive.

How about Vinson Smith and Thomas Everett!

Comment

"But Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday the players aren't making a permanent position switch. Much like Ratliff thrived in a transition from end to nose tackle last year, Phillips wants to see if Spears can become another interchangeable piece on the line after starting three straight years exclusively on the edge."

"It just gives us more options and more abilities," Phillips said. "I really think Ratliff is a real strong defensive end and I think Spears can be strong at the nose. When we get our rotation down we'll see, but I think both of them could play either position and that's what we're looking at."
              Can't fault the man for having brains. Nice work Wade. I like your coaching mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
                Am I the only one who was very disappointed in Robert Jones, our ILB from back in the day? Fast, but stiff and not very instinctive.

How about Vinson Smith and Thomas Everett!
                Yeah Robert Jones wasn't all that. Everett was the man too.

Any fans of Shante Carver?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Yeah, thought not. LOL.

Comment

"But Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday the players aren't making a permanent position switch. Much like Ratliff thrived in a transition from end to nose tackle last year, Phillips wants to see if Spears can become another interchangeable piece on the line after starting three straight years exclusively on the edge."

Spears strong at the nose might be a stretch but good to see him being flexible. I hope this gives us cause to extend Marcus's contract. He seems like a nice enough guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    Yeah Robert Jones wasn't all that. Everett was the man too.

Any fans of Shante Carver?
                    Anyone?
                    Anyone?
                    Anyone?
                    Yeah, thought not. LOL.
                    Shante was not part of the SB squads though so he is not even on my radar in the "nostalgia" category.

Heck Larry Allen was barely even a starter in 1995 after being a Sonoma pick in 1994 second round. And everyone always assumes he was an integral part of the three SBs.

Probably Jerry Jones greatest draft pick of all time.

Comment

I like it. This could be a very very good good rotation at D-Line.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
                        Well it seems our DL is getting lots of attention this training camp and there is lots of movement afoot.

Hatcher has been the best DL allegedly and manning up versus Bigg which is something I say. The dude has done a few Reggie Whitte power moves which are wow versus Bigg......

Tank and Spears to NT makes sense because it is true what Wade says which is Ratliff is so quick and lining him up oppositte one of our OLB give us some pop on the strong side. Though surprising, Spears is allegedly pretty good at NT so far. Good lateral quickness while stout in the run -- his two gap days with Duane serve him well.

But Canty, Spears, Ratliff, Tank and Hatcher with Bowen is an excellent rotation of athletes. Maybe carry a seventh as a true NT just in case.

Regradless, if I project our youth into 08 -- I think as good as NE personally.
                        I'm reading a lot of BS here.

Where have you seen Hatcher being proclaimed as our best DL in training camp? Because everywhere I'm reading says it's Ratliff.

I haven't heard anything about Spears being good at the nose...as a matter of fact I asked Timmy Mac today...and he replied saying he didn't see anything that made Spears stick out and NT...and Wade just mentioned that he liked what he saw.

Curious to see if you have links to back any of this up?

Comment

• Here is a pretty good pic showing Hurd's added weight. He came in at 205 pounds, he said he packed on about 14 pounds of muscle this off-season. There is also a story about Hurd and the added weight on DC.com. He's on T.O.'s diet and work out plan. He officially came in at 6'3 205.

Just think what Sam would have done to him...with the added weight. haha.
                          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 07-31-2008, 12:06 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Just curious how many people have read my latest thoughts in the draft thread...I think it's a worthy note depending on how the OG and C class roles out...anyone else think that another year of bad snapping could lead to moving Gurode?

Comment

• I wouldnt do it...Gurode has been the most dominant center in the league the last two years. The snapping problem is an easy one to fix. Also, we're not going to find a better C/G duo than Gurode/Davis. You should be able to drive a truck through the holes they will open up on that right side this year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

I wouldnt do it...Gurode has been the most dominant center in the league the last two years. The snapping problem is an easy one to fix. Also, we're not going to find a better C/G duo than Gurode/Davis. You should be able to drive a truck through the holes they will open up on that right side this year.
                                Maybe I'm just from the other side is always greener camp...but I'm still not sold that Gurode is the smartest guy in the world....hell you could single handly place the blame on the line collapsing in the 4th quarter on him...he wasn't getting snap counts...guys were jumping off sides...he wasn't calling out the correct blitz assignments...all of that fell right on him...as far as I'm concerned he can do everything at LG that he's doing at center and have less to worry about....We could have Flozell and Gurode making a hole vs. Gurode and Davis...I don't see a huge difference in my mind. And maybe I'm racist...but I love me some stereotypical white centers...and Alex Mack screams stud to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information