Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol...dont know what to think about that last line.

Anyway, Gurode may be the best center in the league...I dont think he has to worry about losing his position at all. He may have deserved his fair share of the blame but, the entire line was exhausted and I'll blame that on Jason Garrett running the hell out of Marion in the first half. Something our line was not accustomed to...we didnt run like that all year. The run blocking wears down the lineman and for a bunch of lineman that have been pass blocking for the majority of the season, it wasnt the smartest idea to run them into the ground at the start of the game. Garrett goes from one extreme to the other...he wasnt that great at adjusting to defenses last season. This is something he has spent a great deal of time on trying to improve on this off-season.

Anyway, yeah...Gurode has nothing to worry about and I'd say he isnt a problem at all. If you want a line upgrade, that will come by way of LG but, Gurode will still be manning the center spot.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
      Maybe I'm just from the other side is always greener camp...but I'm still not sold that Gurode is the smartest guy in the world....hell you could single handly place the blame on the line collapsing in the 4th quarter on him...he wasn't getting snap counts...guys were jumping off sides...he wasn't calling out the correct blitz assignments...all of that fell right on him...as far as I'm concerned he can do everything at LG that he's doing at center and have less to worry about....We could have Flozell and Gurode making a hole vs. Gurode and Davis...I don't see a huge difference in my mind. And maybe I'm racist...but I love me some stereotypical white centers...and Alex Mack screams stud to me.
      I seriously doubt that was all on Gurode. Part of it has to go on Romo for not recognizing it quickly enough and Garrett for not calling plays conducive to beating the blitz and MB3 for not picking it up better. Gurode is a top 5 center in the league. For whatever reason he doesn't play guard as well we saw that earlier in his career.

Comment

I'm reading a lot of BS here.

Where have you seen Hatcher being proclaimed as our best DL in training camp? Because everywhere I'm reading says it's Ratliff.

I haven't heard anything about Spears being good at the nose...as a matter of fact I asked Timmy Mac today...and he replied saying he didn't see anything that made Spears stick out and NT...and Wade just mentioned that he liked what he saw.

Curious to see if you have links to back any of this up?
        I read it in the DMN with respect to Wade praising Spears play at NT. Can't find the quote but it was made. If not, why move Spears in and Ratliff to End. In fact this came out ...

"I think they're seriously thinking of moving me there [permanently]," Ratliff said after Wednesday's morning practice. "I don't think this is just a [training] camp thing. I think this will be continuous."

With respect to Hatcher, he has been playing over Bigg most of camp and has on various occassions gotten the best of our best OL. Again, I read every article. Not pointing to any quote but to the information presented in the blog notes.

I read every word on that website.

Comment

• via dmn blog from Calvin Watkins:

Starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff is concerned about his role with the defense.

The Cowboys' coaches love Ratliff. Wade Phillips thinks he's the fastest lineman on the squad. However, the Cowboys want to move Ratliff to end, at least for now and give Marcus Spears and Tank Johnson more reps at nose tackle.

Ratliff wants to remain at nose guard because he's developed a comfort level there.

Do you want to do this? "This is kinda of a a shock to me. I play nose. Pretty much all my game film has been nose or inside. I really don't have any game film outside. I'll get used to it."

What are you're strengths to the position? "I bring speed, physical, I kinda know what's going on out there. I'm rusty, but I think it will be good. I feel more comfortable at nose, all my game film, since my rookie year has been inside. This is just a wrinkle. I just got to get used to it and get over it."

With Johnson playing well at nose guard, the Cowboys' coaches have to give him some playing time.

The coaches don't want Ratliff on the sidelines. They want him on the field. As of right now, the coaches want to mix and match some players around.

"That was kind of the thing I heard [Wade Phillips] wanted to mix and match guys," Ratliff said. "Then it was they wanted a bigger body inside, we'll just see what happens."

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Wade says nothing is going to be permanent...but, of course that is always subject to change if either one or both excel at the other position. Right now, I'd agree that it isnt going to permanent...a lot of people are speculating that this is being done to give us more versatility on that line...leading us to keep only 5, yes only 5 DL on the 53 man roster.

On a different note...Bill Parcells has contacted Quincy Carter about getting a shot w/ the Dolphins. How about that?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
              I read it in the DMN with respect to Wade praising Spears play at NT. Can't find the quote but it was made. If not, why move Spears in and Ratliff to End. In fact this came out ...

"I think they're seriously thinking of moving me there [permanently]," Ratliff said after Wednesday's morning practice. "I don't think this is just a [training] camp thing. I think this will be continuous."

With respect to Hatcher, he has been playing over Bigg most of camp and has on various occassions gotten the best of our best OL. Again, I read every article. Not pointing to any quote but to the information presented in the blog notes.

I read every word on that website.
              I'd love to see you prove me wrong...because Wade never praised Spears inside...he may have made a comment that he liked what he did inside...but definately not praised.

And DMN has said Ratliff has been the best DL out there this training camp...

And Tank is playing well, too. I wouldn't expect a NT controversy, because Jay Ratliff got an $8 million signing bonus and has been the best D-linemen in camp. The Cowboys are toying with the idea of bumping Ratliff to left DE on occasion, putting him next to Tank, who will get some playing time to keep the 302-pound Ratliff fresh anyway.
              Try Reading Better

Comment

• I think this is a permanent move, as it should be.

Wade just beat around the bush but you can see in Ratliffs quote that the writing was on the wall. First Wade says it's an experiment, then he changes his tune and says they want a bigger body in the middle.

Think San Diego Defense people. Wade has realized that Spears isn't a starting DE on a superbowl team. He wants to stick his Jamal Williams in the middle (Tank/Spears) just to clog the lanes and try to get a double team with his studs at DE. Canty and Rat are pressure players from the DE spot and both can play the run.

It makes perfect sense.

Spears is not a starter. Spears is not critical to the success of this D. His "run stopping ability" is overrated. He is average but people try to hype up his run stuffing because he sucks at everything else.

Now we're moving him into the middle where he doesn't need to get pressure, he can just hold the point. Rat and Canty will man the ends and we have good rotational players in Hatcher and Bowen.

Wade is really starting to impress me by doing things that other coaches wouldn't have the balls to do. Roy is getting his PT cut, Ellis is getting his PT cut, Spears is getting his PT cut. He's moving in guys who are better in Spencer, Henry/Watkins, Rat/Hatcher/Tank.

I couldn't be more pleased with the moves we're starting to make.

Comment

• Burns just to touch on what you said.

Spears needs to be able to clog and hold...this isn't something any big guy can just do...he needs to stick in the middle...anyone who watched that joke of a game last year..remembers Spears being moved around like a child from a military family....he wasn't holding his ground against a beaten up redskins oline...granted noone really played like they gave a **** in that game...but bottom line is...Spears can't be a liability at NT and still get playing time...because that is the difference between him at NT...he isn't a liability at De...he'll have to prove that this year at NT as well.

Comment

Burns just to touch on what you said.

Spears needs to be able to clog and hold...this isn't something any big guy can just do...he needs to stick in the middle...anyone who watched that joke of a game last year..remembers Spears being moved around like a child from a military family....he wasn't holding his ground against a beaten up redskins oline...granted noone really played like they gave a **** in that game...but bottom line is...Spears can't be a liability at NT and still get playing time...because that is the difference between him at NT...he isn't a liability at De...he'll have to prove that this year at NT as well.
                    Thule, I completely agree with you. Although, I feel like Spears will be playing second fiddle to Tank with the way things are going. In other words, Spears wont be in there getting beat up and worn down all game. He should be fresh, and hopefully able to at least hold the point, which is really all we need from him.

Maybe he should put on more weight?

EDIT: It's just good to see that the coaching staff isn't playing favorites and acting scared when it comes to personnel moves this year. I love that they aren't worrying about players emotions and are just doing what they want. Wade probably feels Jason Garrett creeping up on him and is just going to say **** it and do whatever it takes to win.
                    Last edited by Burns336; 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Spears needs to be able to clog and hold...this isn't something any big guy can just do...he needs to stick in the middle...anyone who watched that joke of a game last year..remembers Spears being moved around like a child from a military family....he wasn't holding his ground against a beaten up redskins oline...granted noone really played like they gave a **** in that game...but bottom line is...Spears can't be a liability at NT and still get playing time...because that is the difference between him at NT...he isn't a liability at De...he'll have to prove that this year at NT as well.
                      Exactly...right now it's just a feeling out period. I believe Wade when he says nothing is permanent or guaranteed. On paper it seems like a good idea but, if Spears proves to be unreliable there, it's a move that doesnt need to be done. Nothing is set in stone yet. I think we'll still see Rat at NT and Spears at end but, if Spears can play a little NT, that gives a whole lot more flexibility and the options to adapt to different offenses. Interchangeable pieces...that is what it's all about.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        Exactly...right now it's just a feeling out period. I believe Wade when he says nothing is permanent or guaranteed. On paper it seems like a good idea but, if Spears proves to be unreliable there, it's a move that doesnt need to be done. Nothing is set in stone yet. I think we'll still see Rat at NT and Spears at end but, if Spears can play a little NT, that gives a whole lot more flexibility and the options to adapt to different offenses. Interchangeable pieces...that is what it's all about.
                        We'll need a few more days of camp, but I feel like Rat to DE as a permanent move is a real possibility. Rat himself has said as much. If things continue to unfold like they did yesterday I think we can count on it.

Comment

• With Glenn being released, who's going to be the second starting receiver opposite T.O.? Are we going to trade for anyone? Maybe, we could trade Roy Williams to DET for Roy Williams. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            With Glenn being released, who's going to be the second starting receiver opposite T.O.? Are we going to trade for anyone? Maybe, we could trade Roy Williams to DET for Roy Williams. LOL.
                            You might wanna take some time and read before you come in here...and make comments like that...Crayton looks to have a firm grasp on the #2 spot...but come preseason Hurd will have a shot if he over performs.

If your bored check out this
                            http://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A...sley080730.mp3
                            From Matt Mosley

God Martellus is a tool....3/4 of the way threw is a classic line on Roy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                              With Glenn being released, who's going to be the second starting receiver opposite T.O.? Are we going to trade for anyone? Maybe, we could trade Roy Williams to DET for Roy Williams. LOL.
                              No trades and no signing of aging vets. (I'm looking at you, Joe Horn)

Crayton is pegged at that spot right now but, Hurd who is playing the same position now, has the potential to take that job over. However, Crayton is having a great camp so, he'll probably hold off Hurd to start the season. So, you'll have T.O./Crayton on the outside and Hurd in the slot. Austin should see more PT this year, as should Stanback who has a few plays that have been drawn up for him...including a WR reverse and a WR reverse pass. They would like to get the ball in his hands and get him in the open field.

W/ the growth of the young guys and the advantages of a Felix Jones and potentially the use of three receiving TEs...we should have no problem putting up tons of points. Our offense was exceptional last season and it should only get better this season. No worries.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

I'd love to see you prove me wrong...because Wade never praised Spears inside...he may have made a comment that he liked what he did inside...but definately not praised. And DMN has said Ratliff has been the best DL out there this training camp...Try Reading Better
                                http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...D7D12974EEA862

Watch/listen for yourself.

Not sure what the difference in your mind between a coach "liking your play and saying it publically" and "praising your play" but regardless it is positive.
                                Last edited by johnstonolb; 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information