This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
    THIS IS IT!! PARCELLS HAS GOT TO GO!! HE JUST CAN'T DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINE TALENT, I THINK ITS BECAUSE HE ONLY DRAFTS WHITE LINEMAN. THIS IS WHAT, WHAT, 5 WASTED DRAFT PICKS ON THE OL!?! HE IS SUCH A FAT ASS, WHY DOES JERRAH LET HIM GET AWAY WITH BEING SUCH A FAT ****? I'M DONE WATCHING THIS TEAM UNTIL TH--What? He left? Before we drafted Marten? Oh....
    Funny. I thought the same thing but this brings up a bigger issue ...

Are we developing our OL properly?

We have picked more than a few guys since Gurode in 2002 but have had ZERO success in getting them on the field. Our best pick, Peterman, starts for Detroit.

FWIW, I think we may be too impatient with them. Just think it takes your body till 25/26 to really mature unless you are a freak. That usually means their rookie contract is running dry and we still are working towards potential.

I also feel the switch to the Houck concept hurts somewhat since he plays with heavier Guards. The Parcells concept was for light Guards who move. So it was a big change in plans after you spent 5 years building a certain way.

If I ran a team (I WISH! LOL) I would pretty much use most of those developmental slots on the roster for OL and DL which takes longer to mature in. I would also use 3 - 7 rounders predominantly on these guys. Use 1-2 rounders for the others spots where speed and athletics (other than strength) make a huge difference.

Anywa, be very interested in hearing thoughts.
    Last edited by johnstonolb; 09-07-2008, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• He was only cut to make room for a much needed healthy receiver. If Hurd and/or Austin was healthy, Marten would still be on the team. Still don't know how Latimore didn't make the practice squad.

Comment

• Obviously there are a lot of positives coming out of this game, but first and foremost I just wanna say that Romo showed me a lot today. The dude was slammed in the face, cut and bleeding from his chin strap--AND THE ******* REFS DIDN'T EVEN CALL AN ILLEGAL BLOW TO THE HEAD, WTF?--and he comes right back with poise and composure and rips the heart right out of that team.

Ditka questioned what we would do when we got hit in the face; whether we would bleed or hit back. Romo showed today that there are bleeders, and then there are bleeders. Damn nice to see.
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• I dont know if anyone said it yet but, we did sign Bollinger today. Cut Jefferson to make room for him.

and James Marten was claimed by Oakland.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
            I dont know if anyone said it yet but, we did sign Bollinger today. Cut Jefferson to make room for him.

and James Marten was claimed by Oakland.
            I wish I could be excited about signing Brooks Bollinger, but even his name makes me physically ill. Be careful out there, Tony.

Comment

• http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ne...8F9009C58C1E2D

Looks like Terrence will play Monday, and Miles Austin and A. Spencer will start practicing this week. We'll be getting some key guys back just in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinChase View Post
                I wish I could be excited about signing Brooks Bollinger, but even his name makes me physically ill. Be careful out there, Tony.
                Bollinger is noodle arm II. Why not bring in Chris Simms or Culpepper?

Other thing is we cut Marten (and hoped to resign him) to keep Jefferson and then cut Jefferson while also losing Marten to Oakland. Jefferson did not even play and I think it safe to say keeping an OL would have been better. Marten was a third rounder about a year ago, sheesh.

Though extremely minor, I did not get these moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
                  Bollinger is noodle arm II. Why not bring in Chris Simms or Culpepper?

Other thing is we cut Marten (and hoped to resign him) to keep Jefferson and then cut Jefferson while also losing Marten to Oakland. Jefferson did not even play and I think it safe to say keeping an OL would have been better. Marten was a third rounder about a year ago, sheesh.

Though extremely minor, I did not get these moves.
                  did you want to go into the game with 2 and a half WR's?

Comment

• Not sure how many of you guys know this...but Brooks is from where I live now in GF, ND and I love the signing. This is brads last year on his contract I believe...and Brooks is just a worst case scenario...a guy who can manage the game. He has failed in the NFL...but the Jets and Vikings didn't have squat for talent anyways. It's not like he was going to light up defenses with those WR's. He is young...and has experience out there....he is just our future Brad Johnson...love the pick up...and good ridence to James Marten...how much of a piece of trash do you have to be not to progress in 12 months with no injuries....pathetic on his part.

Comment

• Bollinger is ok. Accurate, but not a real strong, but hes mobile. Definately better guys out there we could have signed, but there are much more that are worse.

As for Marten getting cut, I'm glad the team will cut somebody who just can't cut it, no matter when they were drafted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                        did you want to go into the game with 2 and a half WR's?
                        Three, but I think you are being funny. Um, yes. I would have gone into the game with three and not risked a young OL. Again, small issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                          As for Marten getting cut, I'm glad the team will cut somebody who just can't cut it, no matter when they were drafted.
                          I agree but is that really the case here?

Just seems folks are really down on our back-up OL and they all seem really really young.

Only time will tell. Hope we kick some Iggles arse.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
                            Three, but I think you are being funny. Um, yes. I would have gone into the game with three and not risked a young OL. Again, small issue.
                            two and a half meaning TO, Crayton and a limited Stanback

Comment

• Wow, this board's gotten really quiet. In the interest of getting some discussion started, I'll post this link from the FW-ST on the offensive line: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/899846.html.

Most of the talk about guys who need to be resigned has focused on defense, on Ware and Canty, and while I agree with both of those, another guy who's deal runs out this year is Marc Columbo. I do not want to let this guy hit the free agent market. He's solidified our right tackle situation. I'm sure we all remember the dark days of Rob Pettiti and have no wish to return to them. The Cowboys need to get a deal done with Columbo to keep him around long-term.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinChase View Post
                                Wow, this board's gotten really quiet. In the interest of getting some discussion started, I'll post this link from the FW-ST on the offensive line: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/899846.html.

Most of the talk about guys who need to be resigned has focused on defense, on Ware and Canty, and while I agree with both of those, another guy who's deal runs out this year is Marc Columbo. I do not want to let this guy hit the free agent market. He's solidified our right tackle situation. I'm sure we all remember the dark days of Rob Pettiti and have no wish to return to them. The Cowboys need to get a deal done with Columbo to keep him around long-term.
                                I agree. Columbo is the lone Parcells project on that line that ever amounted to anything. ...and at least it was a Boom. I like Columbo a lot. How many years can he maintain playing at a high level?

Ideally, I'd like to re-sign Columbo and draft an OT that could play LT or RT in the draft. If Doug Free does miraculously turn into an NFL starting caliber player at LT or RT, then we have both sides resolved for the long term future.

I don't think we can afford to draft 2 high caliber OTs in one draft. And I unlike WR and most other positions, I don't think we can afford to address OT in FA.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information