Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As long as they keep the "team first" mentality, I would hope we keep both of those WRs for the long haul. Sometimes I get a sense that Crayton can get a little overzealous, but he doesn't seem to be a big headcase and he more often does a good job rather than bad job on the field.

Comment

• Is Crayton going to continue to return punts?
      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• I suspect that Pac would take that over if he's reinstated.
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I hope we keep playing man like we did against the skins. Our D looked way better manned up on everyone. We didn't give up the easy short passes.

You'd think Wade would have figured this out by now, and you would think that he would continue to use this style now that we tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Wade wants to go back to his useless zone that gives up 3rd downs over and over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            I hope we keep playing man like we did against the skins. Our D looked way better manned up on everyone. We didn't give up the easy short passes.

You'd think Wade would have figured this out by now, and you would think that he would continue to use this style now that we tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Wade wants to go back to his useless zone that gives up 3rd downs over and over again.

I think we will see more of this. I think they didn't earlier because there were just scared the young guys would get beat. With Newman healthy, I think he has much more confidence in their ability to cover.
            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Article from the dmn about Austin:

Miles Austin doesn't get much attention these days -- from fans, media or opposing defenses. He works in the shadows of $9 million receivers T.O. and Roy Williams.

Austin, however, was the Cowboys' best receiver against the Redskins. He had two catches for 26 yards, both of which extended drives on third down. He had another third-down catch, a 16-yard gain, negated by penalty.

T.O. (five catches, 38 yards) and Williams (three catches, 36 yards) didn't make major impacts in Tony Romo's return, although both receivers had catches on the TD drive before halftime. But the presence of the big-money receivers and TE Jason Witten essentially assures that the Cowboys' third receiver will see a lot of single coverage against reserve cornerbacks.

Wade Phillips wouldn't say that Austin has surpassed Patrick Crayton on the depth chart. But Phillips acknowledged that Austin, who has better size and speed than Crayton, would continue to get reps as the third WR.

"We've got to get a package for all the guys," Phillips said. "It's like Christmas. We've got a lot of packages."

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Ugh, soon as you start to get excited for a guy, now Austin is out 2 weeks maybe longer :(

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin could be out two weeks and maybe longer after suffering a knee injury in Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, a source said Tuesday.

Austin caught two passes for 26 yards and was a crucial contributor down the stretch, when he seemingly supplanted Patrick Crayton as the team's third receiver.

Crayton went from No. 2 to No. 3 earlier in the week when the Cowboys inserted newcomer Roy Williams into the starting lineup. The decision to use Austin in the three-receiver set along with Williams and Terrell Owens was a package to get the team's three fastest receivers on the field rather than another demotion for Crayton, coach Wade Phillips has said.

Phillips said the Cowboys like Crayton's ability to play in the slot and that he will continue to be a big part of the offense.

Phillips said everybody will get their chances.

"We've got to get a package for all the guys," Phillips said. "It's like Christmas. We've got a lot of packages."

At least one package is on hold with Austin out with a knee injury.

Owens caught five passes for 38 yards against the Redskins. Williams caught three for 36 yards and Crayton was catchless for the second time this season.
                http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1046476.html

I want to keep him, but it's never a good sign when you really can't stay healthy as the 3rd WR, nobody wants to invest money in a guy who can't play...Sucks though.

Comment

• I'm sure we'll still retain him but, it's something to keep an eye on. That does suck...I wonder who will return kicks. Most likely Stanback as we probably wont put Felix back there upon return. Scandrick's value is higher than it used to be so, he probably wont be back there either (not as the primary atleast)...plus he is a horrid return man. Just hold onto the football Stanback...no one is expecting much, our blocking has not been coming together lately on returns...so just take your licks and dont fumble. ha.
                  Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    Ugh, soon as you start to get excited for a guy, now Austin is out 2 weeks maybe longer :(

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1046476.html

I want to keep him, but it's never a good sign when you really can't stay healthy as the 3rd WR, nobody wants to invest money in a guy who can't play...Sucks though.
                    Ehh... At least he'll be back for Pittsburgh. These kind of injuries don't bother me as much as reoccurring hamstring or groin tweaks.

As far as I know he doesn't have an injury history. Chalk it up as bad luck this year.

Comment

• The no use of the potential Stanback wild cat formation is maddening. I mean, if he is such the "athlete" he is made out to be, I can't imagine why we don't at least use it a few times. Especially with Romo still limited in ability. I'm not sure he can throw the deep ball right now.

Maybe I am being unrealistic in expecting it, but it is the trend in the league right now, it be fun to see it on our team.

I've also noticed that teams with good QB's aren't using it. To my knowledge, only offensively challenged teams (Miami, Cleveland, etc.) have installed it.

Comment

• The Cards have used it...but, to be fair to Pennington...he has been great this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                          The no use of the potential Stanback wild cat formation is maddening. I mean, if he is such the "athlete" he is made out to be, I can't imagine why we don't at least use it a few times. Especially with Romo still limited in ability. I'm not sure he can throw the deep ball right now.

Maybe I am being unrealistic in expecting it, but it is the trend in the league right now, it be fun to see it on our team.

I've also noticed that teams with good QB's aren't using it. To my knowledge, only offensively challenged teams (Miami, Cleveland, etc.) have installed it.
                          I would really like to get into the heads of Wade and Garrett and try to understand what they intended for him when they drafted him. Right now, he's a non-factor. Is he going to get the reps that Austin used to have? I sure would like to see him on the field outside of returning kicks.

Comment

• I dont see how he'll ever get involved. He's locked in as the 5th receiver right now, w/ no quick advancement in sight.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I just feel like he's a gimmick at this point, just like Josh Cribbs. If he is as athletically gifted as we are lead to believe and can serve as a duel threat passing the ball, why not get the ball to him in the wildcat or on a reverse or something?

He got some real game snaps at WR early in the season when we were in trouble, he should be able to pick up a few snaps here and there just to add a wrinkle every now and then.

Comment

• Stanback was a goner for this season when his shoulder popped out of place, when he didn't get that surgery I knew it was going to be popping in and out all year and I think it's came out twice since the initial injury and I heard he needs the surgery at this point.

Don't know if that was it, but him AND Crayton can chuck the ball, surprising to say the least we haven't used more wrinkles with those two in the backfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information