This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
    I don't know how you are equating Roy's talent level to his stats in his first 3 games here. Roy is most certainly one of the top young talented WRs in the league. He's obviously new here and not yet entrenched in our offense. He obviously has not had any significant time to work with Romo. He's certainly not going to consistently put up #1 WR type stats in this offense until he is actually the #1 WR. I don't remember him dropping any passes yet. In fact, I think he's done a great job making tough catches. Clutch catches. This is absolutely crazy talk about doubting his potential to reach elite status. Give the guy a chance MOTH.

I can see how someone might want to compare his stats to the Zona WR duo (I know you didn't) since they are obviously the most prolific in the league right now. However, they don't have other great options... no TEs like ours, no RBs like ours...

I just think if we're going to go forward and judge Roy's talent to the numbers he will put up, there will be a lot of disappointed people and a lot of empty expectations. Right now he's in the role of a #2 WR in an offense with a lot of options. I would expect average #2 WR numbers. Some great games, some not so great, some average.
    You got me wrong...Firstly, I wasnt equating his talent level based on his three games here. I dont know where you got that...I even said, it would take him a long while to get up to speed. I guage the player on his career in Detroit which wasnt the greatest and he was regressing. His drops have increased every year and these past two years have reached alarming numbers. I'll obviously give him a chance and want him to do well. I'm just saying there are a great deal of people out there that think this guy is for sure a #1 guy, a top 5 receiver type...but, that is not what he has been. A side from that one top notch year...he's just been an inconsistant target w/ a dropping problem. Lions fans have been asking for his head since the end of 2006. An overrated player outside of Detroit...that's what i was getting at. A good player but, I wouldnt call him great...not yet atleast, he's just far too inconsistant. I wish him the best...the guy is here to stay and will surely be our got guy down the line. Of course I want him to do well. But, I'm not going to sugar coat things.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

Comment

• Roy gives us another dimension because he can make the athletic/spectacular catches like Fitzgerald (he already had a 1 handed circus catch).
      I'm with LL about him: look at Randy Moss, he looked like a washed up player in Oakland, and Detroit is very similar to Oakland. Roy Williams didn't want to play for the Lions anymore and you're not gonna play well if you don't have any motivation. But I simply don't see him quit on the Cowboys because he's a Texas guy, he always wanted to play in Dallas and he has the chance to win something.
      He already show his potential in Detroit, his 3rd season was no fluke. He won't be as good as Fitz but he could be the same type of player. And I wouldn't count TO on the down side just yet, I think he's gonna have a helluva second half of the season.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        You got me wrong...Firstly, I wasnt equating his talent level based on his three games here. I dont know where you got that...I even said, it would take him a long while to get up to speed. I guage the player on his career in Detroit which wasnt the greatest and he was regressing. His drops have increased every year and these past two years have reached alarming numbers. I'll obviously give him a chance and want him to do well. I'm just saying there are a great deal of people out there that think this guy is for sure a #1 guy, a top 5 receiver type...but, that is not what he has been. A side from that one top notch year...he's just been an inconsistant target w/ a dropping problem. Lions fans have been asking for his head since the end of 2006. An overrated player outside of Detroit...that's what i was getting at. A good player but, I wouldnt call him great...not yet atleast, he's just far too inconsistant. I wish him the best...the guy is here to stay and will surely be our got guy down the line. Of course I want him to do well. But, I'm not going to sugar coat things.
        Sugar coat things? Wow MOTH. You're my boy and all, but you sound like a bonafide Roy Williams hater dude.
        Last edited by D-Unit; 11-20-2008, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano View Post
          Roy gives us another dimension because he can make the athletic/spectacular catches like Fitzgerald (he already had a 1 handed circus catch).
          I'm with LL about him: look at Randy Moss, he looked like a washed up player in Oakland, and Detroit is very similar to Oakland. Roy Williams didn't want to play for the Lions anymore and you're not gonna play well if you don't have any motivation. But I simply don't see him quit on the Cowboys because he's a Texas guy, he always wanted to play in Dallas and he has the chance to win something.
          He already show his potential in Detroit, his 3rd season was no fluke. He won't be as good as Fitz but he could be the same type of player. And I wouldn't count TO on the down side just yet, I think he's gonna have a helluva second half of the season.
          You guys bring up good points. You really can't compare the player he was in Detroit and use it as an indicator for what he will be here now and in the future. There are so many different variables, it's insane to even think about predicting his future success.

It's pretty easy to criticize the guy in years 4 and 5 merely by looking at stats. Forget that Martz left the Lions and there was a new offensive system in place. Forget that Calvin Johnson's presence made a difference in reduced targets. Forget that the Lions coaching staff wanted to make Calvin their #1 WR. ...and on and on... Listening to guys criticize his year 5 is laughable. As laughable as the laughing stock that is the entire Detroit Lions team. Oh wait, Dan Orvlosky is the QB there, my bad. Roy Williams is a scrub for not putting up Pro Bowl numbers with a new incompetent QB throwing to him.

Oh and those Lions fans... hating him has nothing to do with the fact that he outwardly said he didn't want to be a Lion and then recalled that statement to save face. Nah, they just hate him because he's a regressing player who's expectations put on him were simply too high.

Comment

Where others begin to take off...Roy has done nothing in years 4 and 5. A great deal of people will tell you he got worse. He was having a pretty decent 07.
            Ummm Roy DID in fact take off after that 2nd year, his 3rd year was as good as any WR's 3rd year in the league, also as you said he was having a pretty decent year in 07, here are a few of his games in case you forgot early on:

7 catches, 111 yards, 1 TD
            9 catches, 204 yards, 1 TD
            7 catches, 47 yards, 2 TD's

He started his 4th year on a TEAR, so again I'm waiting to see why this guy isn't a bonafide #1 WR as you claim he isn't...He sure did start year 4 off great for a guy who got worse.

I'm just saying there are a great deal of people out there that think this guy is for sure a #1 guy

How many #2 WR's have produced the way Roy Williams has to start his career MOTH?? Nobody is calling this guy a top 5 WR, but your SURELY underrating him alot, he produced his first 2 years just as well as any WR did to start their career, his 3rd year took off, was hurt in his 4th after starting off hot(which had he finished was on pace for 1200 yds and 8 TD's all the while getting less targets) and this is year 5 right here.

Calling him "inconsistent" in completely false no matter how you spin it, hell the guy had 8 TD's his rookie year, 8 his 2nd, 7 his breakout year, how much more consistent can you even be? He's proved as much as anyone and your purely overlooking everything he brings to the table and everything he has proven.

He is not inconsistent, he hasn't had one good year, and he IS a legit #1 WR no other way around it...If you want to judge a player by the effort he gave in Detroit so be it, but you know what that type of atmosphere does for a player, he just said an in interview the other day when he ran our 'Victory' formation it was the first time he ever ran it, Detroit never even practiced it...Fact is he showed his worth in the Tampa game already, and he's produced all while facing double teams, he's getting some undeserved flack from you all around.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• He also missed 5 games in his second year due to injury.

Comment

I don't wanna join the MOTH bashing...but I also have to disagree.

First of all people can think he is a for sure #1 guy. Why? How about because he has done it in his career....he has put up #1 numbers on a bad team...and his only real knock during those times were injuries. Drops have jumped the last two years...but until I see it translate to a problem in Dallas I'm willing to overlook it as a problem that was caused mentally in Detriot not in Dallas.

BTW who is calling or proclaiming that his is a top 5 guy or will be?

Comment

• I don't want to put it like it's MOTH bashing, cause that's just mean. :p ..and we love MOTH.... but man, MOTH, thanks for trying to give us a different angle at this, but there's nothing to sugar coat, buddy.

Maybe it's a case of being spoiled by TO. TO has been a top 3 WR for years now, and since many here are thinking that Roy is the future incumbant as our #1 WR, that he has to fill those shoes. Well, in my opinion, he doesn't. He doesn't need to be a top 5 receiver. He doesn't even need to be considered elite for me to be satisfied with him. Can he be? I most certainly believe he's got what it takes, but now is not that time, so I don't think we should judge him as such. Right now, he just needs to fit into the puzzle, make plays when the ball is thrown his way and block. The time will come for him to be the main man in the lime light. Right now, if he can be one of the best #2 WRs in the league and I'll be thrilled with that. Help take the double coverages off TO. Help give us another legit threat at WR.

Seriously, right now... the way our offense is on paper, we have to be thrilled now more than ever! I mean c'mon... we're worried about OG and future starters! The thought of pairing TO with Roy opposite used to be a day dream for me. Now the day is here. I'm excited for this. I'm excited for our future!

Comment

• Felix is out for the season :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                      Felix is out for the season :(
                      Official link? I'd heard some rumors that was the case due to a toe injury, but hadn't seen anything official.

Comment

• http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ally-over.html

Comment

• Here's your link:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Sucks...but it's the right decision.

Comment

• That sucks...

I mean, he was basically a "luxury" but one that I would love to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              Felix is out for the season :(
                              Way to ruin my day. WTF Felix?!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul View Post
                                Great to see that Felix back in practice, even if it is light stuff, it is encouraging. Word is he will probably miss this weeks and the Thanksgiving game obviously, but could be ready for the Pitt game. Sounds good to me.
                                I suck. :(

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information