X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D-Unit
    Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
    * bent over waiting for spanking *

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
    Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by Poet3334
      Originally posted by D-Unit
      Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      I hate to call you out, D-Unit, but you are delusional if you think that Henry has been playing badly. I just have to shake my head at how clueless people can be sometimes. Corners get beat from time to time, that's what they do. On the Burress TD, Henry had perfect coverage. There is not a defensive back in the league that could have, or would have, played that one iota better. If you want more proof of Henry's stellar play, you should check out KC Joyner's latest article on ESPN.com. He has Henry ranked as the #1 most under-rated CB in the entire league, and shows his metrics for the year, which happen to be near the top of the league. You should know better.

Btw, BBD, I composed a huge post in response to your game-breakdown, but my comp wiped it out, and I'm too depressed to re-do it right now. It was good, though.
      * bent over waiting for spanking *
      Forgot to mention this before, but theres no need to mock other posters DMWSackMachine, they got their opinions, you got yours. I know you didn't mean it in that fashion, but you gotta be careful, words on a screen don't necessarily come out the way you want them to be interpretted.

To comment on the statement that sparked the comments, I agree with DMWSackmachine on this one. I think he played well most of the game. Outside of the TD catch, he held Burress in check with not much help from the pass rush. And that TD was near impossible to defend, the ball was spot on and Burress is too strong to not get it.

Comment

• Actually, about Okoye, I've heard he's down to 290, so he might be better in a Tampa 2 rather than the 3-4. That's no good...

BoneKrusher

Comment

• Scott is at it again. I don't know what he's got against Colombo, but he ain't letting it go:

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I get a lot of questions and comments via e-mail and the message boards but one thing that constantly amazes me is the high opinion that Dallas Cowboy fans have of offensive tackle Marc Colombo. A former first round pick of the Chicago Bears who was derailed by injuries early in his career, Colombo was essentially picked up off the street by Dallas and somehow ended up starting at right tackle for them, based more on a lack of other options than his talent. There is no doubt that Colombo has played above expectations this season but that really isn't saying much because it was a bit of a surprise that he even made an NFL roster. Still, any team that has Marc Colombo starting for them is in serious trouble and the fact that Cowboy fans say he has been their best offensive lineman at times speaks volumes about the state of that group. In fact, I have had more than one pro scout tell me that they are shocked Colombo is even in the league let alone starting. That might be a little extreme but the bottom line is that he isn't nearly as good as the countless legions of Dallas fanatics would try and lead you to believe.

Even if you do accept the premise that Colombo is a capable starter in the league, which I do not, offensive tackle is still a major concern for the Cowboys because Flozell Adams is merely a shell of his former self. One way or another the team is going to have to make upgrades to the o-line next offseason but don't let the Dallas die-hards sell you on Colombo being a stud and the long-term answer at right tackle because that just simply is not and won't ever be the case.

I hate to say it, but I think he made up the part I bolded. That's just a ridiculous statement. The bottom line is this: Colombo has given up a very limited amount of sacks this season. I think the total is now at 3 or 4 (and the one that Kiwi got was not a sack, and even if it was you can't blame Colombo for it, Romo scrambled right into the defender after he was blocked for the entire play).

The best answer to all his criticism will come in the off-season. When Colombo is handed a nice, big contract in the 2-4mil per year range, than we will see what Scott has to say. You don't face guys like Strahan, Peppers, Mathis, and Darren Howard and hold your own unless you are a pretty solid player. It just doesn't happen. I wonder what he has up his a$$ on this one.
          Originally posted by 21ST
          He was protecting his self
          Originally posted by tjsunstein
          From what? His leg?
          Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
          That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
          "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Just to add a bit to that, Bill Parcells doesn't blow sunshine up people's arses. When Pettiti was over there stinking up the joint, he wasn't telling us that he was the next Eric Williams, and when Vollers, Ryan Young, Torrin Tucker et al were doing their thing, he was deadly honest. So the only other option would be that Bill Parcells is full of sh*t and Scott Wright the Great and his "anonymous sources" know better than he does. Call me funny, but I'll trust the guy with the hardware.
            Originally posted by 21ST
            He was protecting his self
            Originally posted by tjsunstein
            From what? His leg?
            Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
            That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
            "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• and the one that Kiwi got was not a sack, and even if it was you can't blame Colombo for it, Romo scrambled right into the defender after he was blocked for the entire play
              How is the Kiwi one not a sack? It might not have been Colombo's fault but it was a sack.

Comment

• How can Scott hate this guy?

Comment

• So guys, i figured the numbers and henry is better than alot of us thought. He and Newman are actually a great tandem. So far this season Henry is being targeted 6.25 times per game (75 on the season) and only gives up 6.5 yards per attempt. Newman is only being targeted 3.67 times per game, (44 on the season) but is giving up 7.8 yards per completion.

Both of those are very good considering Newman has maybe given up one touchdown since '04 (i never heard the final verdict from the colts game) and Henry hasnt given up all that many.

I wish i had ESPN insider so i could see the figures for gamble and hall because they apparently are extremely overrated (which we already knew) and ESPN has the figures to prove it.

If anyone wants to keep track of the amount of passes thrown at each corner over the next few games we should be able to have accurate figures at the end of the season, but its hard to tell who the ball if being thrown at sometimes and im not sure what exactly counts as being "targeted".

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    Scott is at it again. I don't know what he's got against Colombo, but he ain't letting it go:

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I get a lot of questions and comments via e-mail and the message boards but one thing that constantly amazes me is the high opinion that Dallas Cowboy fans have of offensive tackle Marc Colombo. A former first round pick of the Chicago Bears who was derailed by injuries early in his career, Colombo was essentially picked up off the street by Dallas and somehow ended up starting at right tackle for them, based more on a lack of other options than his talent. There is no doubt that Colombo has played above expectations this season but that really isn't saying much because it was a bit of a surprise that he even made an NFL roster. Still, any team that has Marc Colombo starting for them is in serious trouble and the fact that Cowboy fans say he has been their best offensive lineman at times speaks volumes about the state of that group. In fact, I have had more than one pro scout tell me that they are shocked Colombo is even in the league let alone starting. That might be a little extreme but the bottom line is that he isn't nearly as good as the countless legions of Dallas fanatics would try and lead you to believe.

Even if you do accept the premise that Colombo is a capable starter in the league, which I do not, offensive tackle is still a major concern for the Cowboys because Flozell Adams is merely a shell of his former self. One way or another the team is going to have to make upgrades to the o-line next offseason but don't let the Dallas die-hards sell you on Colombo being a stud and the long-term answer at right tackle because that just simply is not and won't ever be the case.

I hate to say it, but I think he made up the part I bolded. That's just a ridiculous statement. The bottom line is this: Colombo has given up a very limited amount of sacks this season. I think the total is now at 3 or 4 (and the one that Kiwi got was not a sack, and even if it was you can't blame Colombo for it, Romo scrambled right into the defender after he was blocked for the entire play).

The best answer to all his criticism will come in the off-season. When Colombo is handed a nice, big contract in the 2-4mil per year range, than we will see what Scott has to say. You don't face guys like Strahan, Peppers, Mathis, and Darren Howard and hold your own unless you are a pretty solid player. It just doesn't happen. I wonder what he has up his a$$ on this one.
                    Goes to show you what some "pro scouts" know. The guy's playing well. Period. End of story. Whether or not we address the line later based upon other factors is one thing, but to cast doubt on what your eyes plainly see, unless you've got some other agenda is wrong.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                    Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
                      So guys, i figured the numbers and henry is better than alot of us thought. He and Newman are actually a great tandem. So far this season Henry is being targeted 6.25 times per game (75 on the season) and only gives up 6.5 yards per attempt. Newman is only being targeted 3.67 times per game, (44 on the season) but is giving up 7.8 yards per completion.

Both of those are very good considering Newman has maybe given up one touchdown since '04 (i never heard the final verdict from the colts game) and Henry hasnt given up all that many.

I wish i had ESPN insider so i could see the figures for gamble and hall because they apparently are extremely overrated (which we already knew) and ESPN has the figures to prove it.

If anyone wants to keep track of the amount of passes thrown at each corner over the next few games we should be able to have accurate figures at the end of the season, but its hard to tell who the ball if being thrown at sometimes and im not sure what exactly counts as being "targeted".
                      I have an insider and can't find anything on stats as far as thrown at and avg yardage per catch. But I have read the Newman vs. Henry stats on a couple of sites.

Comment

• the newest kc joyner article, when he writes about henry as being underrated he gives the yards per completion and the number of times they have been thrown at this year (i just divided by 12 to get per game numbers) and i know the article goes into talking about gamble and hall but i cant view that part.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
                          How can Scott hate this guy?

I know I don't.

Albert Camus

Comment

• The Panthers are blowing another game.

Albert Camus

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
                              the newest kc joyner article, when he writes about henry as being underrated he gives the yards per completion and the number of times they have been thrown at this year (i just divided by 12 to get per game numbers) and i know the article goes into talking about gamble and hall but i cant view that part.
                              I have insider...and it does not talk about Gamble or Hall. I cannot find anything from this. Just a link to view some of his book. This article is also pretty old. About a month now.

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
                                Originally posted by Burns336
                                the newest kc joyner article, when he writes about henry as being underrated he gives the yards per completion and the number of times they have been thrown at this year (i just divided by 12 to get per game numbers) and i know the article goes into talking about gamble and hall but i cant view that part.
                                I have insider...and it does not talk about Gamble or Hall. I cannot find anything from this. Just a link to view some of his book. This article is also pretty old. About a month now.
                                Its not the article from nov. 6th about the secondary hindering us... im having trouble getting back to it now, but ill post a link as soon as i get to it. its got figures and mentions gamble and hall.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information