Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Our draft class just looks better and better...Also I have been watching Keith Davis and honestly he's looked better then Roy and Watkins out there to me and he's probably the cheapest...He's been making the big hits and I haven't seen him miss many tackles or let any balls go over his head, he may not be starter quality but the proof is in the pudding he's out played Roy.


    Pac looked good in coverage, I think the returning stuff is all about consistency, people forget it took him some time to become a great returner in Tennessee so he needs those reps to get back to where he was before...He stuck with his man pretty well and will come in handy until Jenkins is ready to go, but I always felt he would need a full season and off-season here with us before we saw the Pac of old, if ever.





    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      Our draft class just looks better and better...Also I have been watching Keith Davis and honestly he's looked better then Roy and Watkins out there to me and he's probably the cheapest...He's been making the big hits and I haven't seen him miss many tackles or let any balls go over his head, he may not be starter quality but the proof is in the pudding he's out played Roy.


      Pac looked good in coverage, I think the returning stuff is all about consistency, people forget it took him some time to become a great returner in Tennessee so he needs those reps to get back to where he was before...He stuck with his man pretty well and will come in handy until Jenkins is ready to go, but I always felt he would need a full season and off-season here with us before we saw the Pac of old, if ever.

      I agree that Davis is a useable part. He's quite good against the run, but struggles in coverage, see Vernon DAvis. I still think we need to find someone in the draft even with Henry moving over beside Hamlin.

      I thought Pac played a very good game on defense. He's got to get better in the return game though. I do agree with your point about reps. He was starting to get pretty comfortable when the suspension hit. I still think Pac is going to have a major impact on a game by either a return or a pick 6. The guy is a playmaker and I think he will make a game changing play before the season is over.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


      -Douglas MacArthur

      Comment


      • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
        Can you explain how it is Jerry's fault for having players brought in under different coaches?
        That would be a false strawman -- players are constantly coming and going and so do coaches. That is not Jerry's fault -- that is the NFL

        What is Jerry's fault is choosing Coaches who present substantive changes in Philosophy. How should I run the D? How should I run the O? Changes represent finding new types of players...... for example a Sparano/Parcells OL versus a Garrett/Houck OL.

        The hiring of Parcells meant (to me anyway) he was making a committment to a certain style of play -- D and O. However, upon Parcells departure, he brought in a HC/DC who had different ideas (personnel) on how to run the D. He brought in an OC who had different ideas on what kind of O (personnel) to run.

        Players are fine if they fit scheme or are "once in a lifetime talent" like Ware. But for the average athlete they need a system that repeats itself ad nauseum in order to play to the best of their ability and condition their mind on how best to execute.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by johnstonolb View Post
          That would be a false strawman -- players are constantly coming and going and so do coaches. That is not Jerry's fault -- that is the NFL

          What is Jerry's fault is choosing Coaches who present substantive changes in Philosophy. How should I run the D? How should I run the O? Changes represent finding new types of players...... for example a Sparano/Parcells OL versus a Garrett/Houck OL.

          The hiring of Parcells meant (to me anyway) he was making a committment to a certain style of play -- D and O. However, upon Parcells departure, he brought in a HC/DC who had different ideas (personnel) on how to run the D. He brought in an OC who had different ideas on what kind of O (personnel) to run.

          Players are fine if they fit scheme or are "once in a lifetime talent" like Ware. But for the average athlete they need a system that repeats itself ad nauseum in order to play to the best of their ability and condition their mind on how best to execute.
          OK, but Parcells ran our Defense. When he left, there was no DC sitting in the wings. No one else in the league qualified to be the HC of the Cowboys. Agree or disagree?

          So he brought in the next best thing. Wade. A guy with a proven record. He still stuck with the 3-4. Wade was running a tight ship in SD. He had one of the best defenses in the league. He brought a 3-4 scheme that was attacking in nature versus the vanilla space eating 3-4 scheme that Parcells ran. And many at the time were very frustrated with Parcells' vanilla defense if you want to recall.

          What other options were there? Dom Capers? Mike Singletary (I wish)? Regardless, unless he went back to the 4-3 which you probably would've ripped him even more for, there were not many options. ...unless you went with a HC that was an OC. In that case, what happens to the D?

          Our problems with personnel mismatches that you speak of are strictly on defense right? Or at least that's your main fuss.

          If you think Jerry could've done a better job doing something else, I'm all ears. The problem I have with guys like you who like to complain... they don't ever take the time to explain the better solutions... or realize the other side of the coin... or better yet, they come back with information that's hindsight 20/20.
          Last edited by D-Unit; 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            OK, but Parcells ran our Defense. When he left, there was no DC sitting in the wings. No one else in the league qualified to be the HC of the Cowboys. Agree or disagree?

            So he brought in the next best thing. Wade. A guy with a proven record. He still stuck with the 3-4. Wade was running a tight ship in SD. He had one of the best defenses in the league. He brought a 3-4 scheme that was attacking in nature versus the vanilla space eating 3-4 scheme that Parcells ran. And many at the time were very frustrated with Parcells' vanilla defense if you want to recall.
            That's why I'm concerned about next season. If Wade is gone (and he will probably be if we don't reach the SB) who's gonna be the DC?
            Stewart sucks and I don't see one of our position coaches becoming the next DC...

            @ LL: Davis still sucks in coverage. Our pass rush has been very good so he's not getting beat often but he still can't cover.


            In Bob We Trust

            John Madden's wedding video business

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Modano View Post
              That's why I'm concerned about next season. If Wade is gone (and he will probably be if we don't reach the SB) who's gonna be the DC?
              Stewart sucks and I don't see one of our position coaches becoming the next DC...

              @ LL: Davis still sucks in coverage. Our pass rush has been very good so he's not getting beat often but he still can't cover.
              I actually admire Todd Grantham a lot and wouldn't be the most upset guy in the world if he took over as DC. He's been DC before.
              Last edited by D-Unit; 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Modano View Post
                @ LL: Davis still sucks in coverage. Our pass rush has been very good so he's not getting beat often but he still can't cover.
                Oh I know it trust me, my point was that he is way cheaper and is still providing some big hits and run support, he was right in there on that 4th and 1 goal line stand with Bradie vs Pittsburgh...Roy was being taken out on passing downs as is, so for the money I'd be fine with KD out there, he's been playing with alot of heart.


                An upgrade is needed somewhere in the draft, and I was hoping last year we took a flier on a safety in the 6th-7th rd range.





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  Oh I know it trust me, my point was that he is way cheaper and is still providing some big hits and run support, he was right in there on that 4th and 1 goal line stand with Bradie vs Pittsburgh...Roy was being taken out on passing downs as is, so for the money I'd be fine with KD out there, he's been playing with alot of heart.


                  An upgrade is needed somewhere in the draft, and I was hoping last year we took a flier on a safety in the 6th-7th rd range.
                  I don't think they wanted to add another Courtney Brown.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    I don't think they wanted to add another Courtney Brown.
                    True, another guy to just get excited about in the off-season only to do nothing...I just haven't seen any of our safeties step up lately, Watkins didn't progress the way I expected from a former starter either.





                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      True, another guy to just get excited about in the off-season only to do nothing...I just haven't seen any of our safeties step up lately, Watkins didn't progress the way I expected from a former starter either.
                      Isn't it amazing that Tra Battle is getting more PT at Safety than Courtney Brown? That's ok though, I really liked seeing Henry at Safety. He did a very good job in his first chance.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        OK, but Parcells ran our Defense. When he left, there was no DC sitting in the wings. No one else in the league qualified to be the HC of the Cowboys. Agree or disagree?
                        Disagree and is what most "angers" me.

                        1) On D we had the position coaches who could have been promoted. Also that offseason, we could have pilfered a NE Position Coach .... etc.

                        2) On O, well we had Sparano and Lee.

                        This is at the heart of it. Jerry Owner hired Parcells to "rebuild" the organization and within 18 months it all was gone ... because Jerry essentially shut the door to them and went with a new Management Team. Wade/Garrett/Stewart.

                        Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        So he brought in the next best thing. Wade. A guy with a proven record. He still stuck with the 3-4. Wade was running a tight ship in SD. He had one of the best defenses in the league. He brought a 3-4 scheme that was attacking in nature versus the vanilla space eating 3-4 scheme that Parcells ran. And many at the time were very frustrated with Parcells' vanilla defense if you want to recall.
                        Wade is a DC. With respect to attack versus not -- sure that is Wade's style like it or not. I agree the DC, space eater in the box mentality is not NFL complaint IMHO. You need guys who can play in space and the LB in the Parcells system are not that -- in fact I love the Capers/Leabeu scheme for today's NFL with LB who can move.

                        Again, what bothers me is GM purposely avoided internal candidates and did nothing to attract other guys with some "lineage" in the Belichick/Parcells world. So again, why hire Parcells to rebuild the organization then essentially get rid of them all via benign neglect and implementing a glass ceiling.

                        Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        What other options were there? Dom Capers? Mike Singletary (I wish)? Regardless, unless he went back to the 4-3 which you probably would've ripped him even more for, there were not many options. ...unless you went with a HC that was an OC. In that case, what happens to the D?

                        Our problems with personnel mismatches that you speak of are strictly on defense right? Or at least that's your main fuss.
                        Based on what I see on the field, I think a WCO O and 4-3 D is our best option right now with the talent we have.

                        To me however this is a 6-7 year commitment. Not something you change 3 years later b/c ONE coach sucks. Get a better coach for the system but don't just blow it up.

                        WCO takes about 16-24 games with a smart QB. Assume Romo is that. We would need to go back to those Parcells OG and C who can move their feet in space and likely get lighter Tackles also. We have some of that type of talent on the team.

                        4-3 (not Tampa II) would take about 8-12 games. It would require Ware at DE and Carp at OLB ... plus we'd be short some OLB and DE Depth. I think the DBs are set. Our DEs other than Ratliff would become DTs and we have enough of those. This would take about 8-12 games to pick up.

                        But you need at least one year transition ... and a few years to see results in the playoffs.

                        Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        If you think Jerry could've done a better job doing something else, I'm all ears. The problem I have with guys like you who like to complain... they don't ever take the time to explain the better solutions... or realize the other side of the coin... or better yet, they come back with information that's hindsight 20/20.
                        Everything is hindsight now but in general I was good with Bowles being promoted as well as Sparano to full time OC. I didn't even think HC Meatball was a bad option so long as Meatball kept the "Organization" Parcells built in place. If HC Meatball failed -- promote Sparano or Bowles.

                        But it did not go that way. I definately hated Garrett as OC. He came from a top heavy organization where he coached for two years with MEDIOCRE results. Smart guy but what else?????? He also represents a HUGE change in O philosophy which requires more a Carson Palmer type than a Romo/Steve Young type QB.

                        The Parcells Organization essentially ALL got passed over or demoted (as was Sparano) and we brought in Stewart, Reed, Garrett .... then this past offseason when they bolted to Miami ... we brought in more retreads and had our GM picked off. This overhaul in MANAGEMENT represent new ideas that need different types of players.... as evidenced by the OL discussion and why it is not "as good" as last year.

                        So regardless of my feelings about which are better coaches or not or which systems -- I would STRONGLY PREFER this team to stick to a system on D and O for at least 4-5 years and ride out the talent we have while getting new talent that fits. This team don't need "New Strategies and Ideas" -- this team needs repetition and it needs to execute what exists in the play book ruthlessly.
                        Last edited by johnstonolb; 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          I don't think they wanted to add another Courtney Brown.
                          Yeah, that was one hell of a football c*ck tease. He makes NO plays and his speed seems unimportant.

                          I kind of like Watkins for SS really. He seems to like physical play in spite of his body type and tackling techiques. I just think he has not played enough.

                          Comment


                          • I'm reading rumors that Pacman is going to be put on IR with a neck problem....

                            They just keep dropping like flies. Mike Jenkins, get ready to hop right back in.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              I'm reading rumors that Pacman is going to be put on IR with a neck problem....

                              They just keep dropping like flies. Mike Jenkins, get ready to hop right back in.
                              Yea, seriously when is it gonna end.


                              Sources close to Adam Jones have confirmed to Fanball.com's Ryan Houston that Jones will miss the rest of the season with a neck injury.
                              The local papers and Cowboys have yet to confirm the news. Jones appeared to suffer a stinger against Pittsburgh, but was able to return to the game. This will go down as a somewhat lost season for Jones, whose play didn't nearly match up with the All Pro skills he displayed in Tennessee. If Jerry Jones could tolerate the suspension this year, we suspect Adam will be back at a cheap salary in 2009. Dec. 10 - 11:11 am et
                              Source: Fanball.com

                              Damn man, his coverage was looking solid so worst case I wanted him to continue to get these reps and go into the off-season with some motivation...Obviously he'll be back because he won't cost much, but this news is a downer though.





                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                              Comment


                              • I still haven't seen it confirmed by a reliable source. Let's hope this is premature.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information