Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is my foresight really that god or am I fooling myself?

    This whole thing about Jerry not hiring a replacement DC...

    "Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart was fired a few weeks later, and Jones said Tuesday he decided not to hire a replacement."

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines



    This is what I see...

    1. Jerry is going to make Wade call it like he did last season.

    2. Then when the season is over and Wade's HC contract is up, he'll ask Wade to be the full time DC. Jerry will pay him enough for him to be comfortable with the idea, and Wade will take it, especially when won't be entertaining any HC positions elsewhere. I don't think he'd have had a HC offer even if he were cut this offseason to be quite honest.

    3. Jerry will hiring Shanahan as the new HC. Jerry has had an affection/respect with Shanny for a while now. It's why we have been scrimmaging with Denver in the preseason as much as we've had over the last few years.

    4. The WCO will be in full effect in Dallas and all the peices will finally fit the puzzle. ...except the OL. Doh!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Is my foresight really that god or am I fooling myself?
      God, indeed.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gafyobop View Post
        God, indeed.
        Ha... Yeah... I guess even God makes typos. :p

        Comment


        • I guess we will have to wait and see..I also didn't think that we would bring in a DC....but it's way to early to say that Wade is going to be replaced next year...hell for all we know we could win it all.

          But I'll remember this d...it makes sense...I'm just not buying Wade taking a demotion....or rather having someone else come in and help run the show while he is here.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by thule View Post
            I guess we will have to wait and see..I also didn't think that we would bring in a DC....but it's way to early to say that Wade is going to be replaced next year...hell for all we know we could win it all.

            But I'll remember this d...it makes sense...I'm just not buying Wade taking a demotion....or rather having someone else come in and help run the show while he is here.
            Well, this basically makes Jerry the HC.

            Comment


            • Don't Wade and Shannahan have beef with eachother?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                Don't Wade and Shannahan have beef with eachother?
                Shanny took over for Wade in Denver... but I doubt they have a beef about it.

                Dallas 2010... part deaux?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  Is my foresight really that god or am I fooling myself?

                  This whole thing about Jerry not hiring a replacement DC...

                  "Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart was fired a few weeks later, and Jones said Tuesday he decided not to hire a replacement."

                  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines



                  This is what I see...

                  1. Jerry is going to make Wade call it like he did last season.

                  2. Then when the season is over and Wade's HC contract is up, he'll ask Wade to be the full time DC. Jerry will pay him enough for him to be comfortable with the idea, and Wade will take it, especially when won't be entertaining any HC positions elsewhere. I don't think he'd have had a HC offer even if he were cut this offseason to be quite honest.

                  3. Jerry will hiring Shanahan as the new HC. Jerry has had an affection/respect with Shanny for a while now. It's why we have been scrimmaging with Denver in the preseason as much as we've had over the last few years.

                  4. The WCO will be in full effect in Dallas and all the peices will finally fit the puzzle. ...except the OL. Doh!

                  I honestly feel this way too, not hiring a DC and giving that job to Wade is basically an easy out for 2010 so he can still have that job outright, it just makes too much sense otherwise.





                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    I honestly feel this way too, not hiring a DC and giving that job to Wade is basically an easy out for 2010 so he can still have that job outright, it just makes too much sense otherwise.
                    It worries me a little that our HC is a DC. It is one thing to call the plays or help coach the scheme as a whole, but all the prep that the coordinaters put in each week to get prepared for the game will continue to take away from the HC duties Wade has, and IMO he is already lacking in that relm.

                    I know head coaches call the plays in other places, like Shanahan, but I also think that they can handle the HC part better than Wade has anywhere he has been.

                    It is certainly logical to think he will be asked to remain as DC only next year, especially by not hiring a guy who can come in a take a little burden off of hiim this year.

                    Being a head coach is a lot like being an administrator in a long term care facility. It is more about people/player management. The administrative staff you hire will basically run the day to day business, but it is the administrator's job to manage the staff and make sure things run smooth.

                    If you have a great self-leading staff, you can trust, to a certain extent, that they are taking care of business and making sure things are going the way they should. If your staff needs constant reigning in, and they aren't leading for the front line staff, things in your facility will start to fall apart.

                    The same thing happens on a football team, much like we have seen of the Cowboys, lack of leadership and accountability equals disappointing results.
                    2013 Cowboys Forum Mock
                    - Cleveland Browns GM
                    - Dallas Cowboys GM
                    - Atlanta Falcons GM

                    Comment


                    • Why does everyone seem to be jumping to the conclusion that JJ's comments yesterday cement the fact that TO will be back?

                      If you listen/read the entire quote, he left himself plenty of wiggle room. And if he was 100% sure TO would be back, why not say that.

                      I still don't think JJ has made his mind up on the issue.
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                      -Douglas MacArthur

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        Why does everyone seem to be jumping to the conclusion that JJ's comments yesterday cement the fact that TO will be back?

                        If you listen/read the entire quote, he left himself plenty of wiggle room. And if he was 100% sure TO would be back, why not say that.

                        I still don't think JJ has made his mind up on the issue.
                        Because Jerry is a business man and when a business man looks at his options and says "I have 123 million dollars to play with next year, 9 million of that is invested into T.O., If I cut T.O. I am getting nothing for my 9 million, If I keep T.O. I get 1,000+ yards, 10 TD's, Merchandise and ticket sales, and a full stadium for my 9 million."

                        Which option do you think he will choose? If anything, Jerry hasn't come out and directly said anything because he probably wants T.O. to squirm a little. I'm sure he wants to put T.O. in his place.

                        For Jerry to come out and give 100% support to T.O., he would essentially be giving him free reign to do whatever he wants. This way, T.O. might feel like he's wearing out his welcome. No more distractions like last year.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                          Because Jerry is a business man and when a business man looks at his options and says "I have 123 million dollars to play with next year, 9 million of that is invested into T.O., If I cut T.O. I am getting nothing for my 9 million, If I keep T.O. I get 1,000+ yards, 10 TD's, Merchandise and ticket sales, and a full stadium for my 9 million."

                          Which option do you think he will choose? If anything, Jerry hasn't come out and directly said anything because he probably wants T.O. to squirm a little. I'm sure he wants to put T.O. in his place.

                          For Jerry to come out and give 100% support to T.O., he would essentially be giving him free reign to do whatever he wants. This way, T.O. might feel like he's wearing out his welcome. No more distractions like last year.

                          One thing you may be missing is the business concept of sunk cost, which JJ is quite aware of, and while that money may hit the cap if cut, theoretically what he saves is hard cash he can put in his pocket or use elsewhere.

                          And he needs to weigh the production versus the distraction. And frankly, his production wasn't worth the distraction this past season. And while it's possible TO could bounce back with a 1300 yd 15 TD season, it's also possible that given his age, he hits a wall and the decline is visible.
                          In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                          -Douglas MacArthur

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                            One thing you may be missing is the business concept of sunk cost, which JJ is quite aware of, and while that money may hit the cap if cut, theoretically what he saves is hard cash he can put in his pocket or use elsewhere.

                            And he needs to weigh the production versus the distraction. And frankly, his production wasn't worth the distraction this past season. And while it's possible TO could bounce back with a 1300 yd 15 TD season, it's also possible that given his age, he hits a wall and the decline is visible.
                            T.O. easily could have had 1300 and 12 td's this season but he was playing with **** at QB for 3 games.

                            And I don't think Jerry is overly concerned with saving 9 million. Just going off of his track record it seems obvious to me that he likes to try and get a full return on his investments. He gave T.O. a lot of guaranteed money with this deal and he isn't going to just let it walk out of the door.

                            You might want to consider opportunity cost in your Econ 101 lesson. Jerry will lose more in merchandise, ticket sales, and media coverage than he will gain by cutting T.O.

                            Owens had one of the best selling Jerseys, not to mention his icatch, iblock, etc. shirts are one of DC.com's best sellers. He also puts people in the seats and keeps the cameras rolling on the Cowboys.

                            It just doesn't make since to cut that.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
                              You might want to consider opportunity cost in your Econ 101 lesson.
                              ... unless you think that cutting him means winning more and even a Super Bowl .... then he would make lots more from cutting Owens.

                              When Cowboys win SB merchandising goes nuts, luxury box are easier to sell and NFL TV Rights get more expensive.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gafyobop View Post
                                ... unless you think that cutting him means winning more and even a Super Bowl .... then he would make lots more from cutting Owens.

                                When Cowboys win SB merchandising goes nuts, luxury box are easier to sell and NFL TV Rights get more expensive.
                                If you think Owens in the reason we haven't won the super bowl, you're mistaken.

                                I'm sorry to say it, but our defense and our QB need to shoulder the blame for our struggles. I love Tony just as much as anyone, but I'm starting to think that he may be a choke artist. I can't say the same about T.O.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information