X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thule View Post
    Something that is worth a thought.

If this Austin deal were to happen. We'd have ammo to get into the 20's.

My personal favorite move would be to move up into that 15-20 range throw in a player and take Oher if he is on the board which I think he will be.

But something that we may be overlooking is Harvin. He'll probably fall in that 20-30 range...and if we lost Austin we might be looking to add a game-breaker. Harvin is that....although he doesn't have return experience....you would think you could coach a player stuff like that and let him go. Something to watch out for there.

Look at it like this. With the addition of Sensy and from the looks of it no Lt worth taking outside of the top 40. And no ILB help...your almost free to move up as you please. Interior OL depth would be nice...to get fresh talent in there and sure a Safety that could play right away would be nice...but the talent drop off from 2nd round to the 4th round isnt' that mind boggling. I could come up with a few names that you could land in the fourth that would be close to talent in the 2nd.

My point is...being in that 50 range to us isn't exactly ideal...our biggest needs likely won't be addressed here unless a player falls...and you can't assume that it will happen. So taking into account Jerry's aggressive draft day trades...I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for a difference maker. Whether it is Oher/Harvin/Cushing...moving up into this range would make some sense.

Again though this all falls on the fact that we would have 2 2nd round picks.
    Oher/Beatty/Loadholt/Cushing/Matthews/Maualuga/Gilbert are all guys I would like to move up for.

I agree with thule, as I've said before -- no way Jerry sits and waits at 51. We have 11 picks, but we only have room for about 6 rookies IMO. He'll package them to move up. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick in the latter half of the 1st as well as the mid 2nd when it's all said and done.

At the same time, I could see us moving into the mid first and then sitting quiet and making a barrage of picks early on day 2.

I do disagree on Harvin though. I just don't like the idea of drafting a hybrid player that early. Plus, Florida WRs haven't had the greatest success lately. His durability is also a concern. It seems like Harvin is always banged up with something.

I like his potential -- but I don't think he is someone who can make consistent contributions in the first year.

Comment

• I see not one reason to hate that Crayton signing like you guys do, whose progression did he halt in the meantime with that small signing? If there was another guy to step up he would have, that contract wasn't cementing him as a starter by any means.

Hurd? Austin? Who did Crayton stop from progressing properly?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
        I see not one reason to hate that Crayton signing like you guys do, whose progression did he halt in the meantime with that small signing? If there was another guy to step up he would have, that contract wasn't cementing him as a starter by any means. Hurd? Austin? Who did Crayton stop from progressing properly?
        Hurd, he could have replaced Crayton for pennies on the dollar. Stanback.

Comment

• I agree...I thought that Crayton could be replaced production wise with Hurd and we wouldn't have missed a beat. It's not that I thought we overpaid for Crayton...I just thought that it was an unneeded signing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            Oher/Beatty/Loadholt/Cushing/Matthews/Maualuga/Gilbert are all guys I would like to move up for.

I agree with thule, as I've said before -- no way Jerry sits and waits at 51. We have 11 picks, but we only have room for about 6 rookies IMO. He'll package them to move up. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick in the latter half of the 1st as well as the mid 2nd when it's all said and done.

At the same time, I could see us moving into the mid first and then sitting quiet and making a barrage of picks early on day 2.

I do disagree on Harvin though. I just don't like the idea of drafting a hybrid player that early. Plus, Florida WRs haven't had the greatest success lately. His durability is also a concern. It seems like Harvin is always banged up with something.

I like his potential -- but I don't think he is someone who can make consistent contributions in the first year.
            if he could help in the return game that would be justification enough for me year one. Stretch the field from time to time...run a reverse or two...if he could give us contribution in those areas I think the tradeup would be warranted.

Comment

if he could help in the return game that would be justification enough for me year one. Stretch the field from time to time...run a reverse or two...if he could give us contribution in those areas I think the tradeup would be warranted.
              I love him as a game breaker and a weapon, I just wonder if we were to lose Austin and Harvin can't make any solid contributions (similar to what Austin is projected to make) until year 3, then is it worth it?

Where is our speed at? He would pretty much have to play year 1. We would literally have no vertical threats.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                I see not one reason to hate that Crayton signing like you guys do, whose progression did he halt in the meantime with that small signing? If there was another guy to step up he would have, that contract wasn't cementing him as a starter by any means.

Hurd? Austin? Who did Crayton stop from progressing properly?
                I agree. Crayton's signing was relatively cheap. What's wrong with it? He's been good for us. Other than the 1 dropped pass in the playoffs, he's been our most consistent "hands" guy at the position.

As much as I like the progress Austin has made (and let's not kid ourselves... he used to drop everything)... Let's not presumptiously assume that all of a sudden he's got what it takes to be a #1 in this league. I'm listening to you guys say that and I'm taken aback. Don't be like the Giants fans who thought Domenick Hixon was good enough to fill in for Plax. Austin was often the 5th wheel... now some are saying he could be #1? We need to take a chill pill. If we got a 2nd round for him, that would be fair and I'd take it. Stanback or Hurd should be ready to step up and replace his production. If not, we know what we need next year and we know that we can free up 2 spots by cutting Stanback and Hurd. They've been unknowns for too long. It's time to find out.

Comment

The Bills are shopping Roscoe Parrish -- I'm not sure what they are looking for, but if he could be had for a 4th or maybe next years 3rd I would be interested.

Instant upgrade to the return game. Can play in the slot, can stretch the field.

I won't overrate him as a receiver -- his primary function would be to return kicks..

What do you think of him?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    I agree. Crayton's signing was relatively cheap. What's wrong with it? He's been good for us. Other than the 1 dropped pass in the playoffs, he's been our most consistent "hands" guy at the position.

As much as I like the progress Austin has made (and let's not kid ourselves... he used to drop everything)... Let's not presumptiously assume that all of a sudden he's got what it takes to be a #1 in this league. I'm listening to you guys say that and I'm taken aback. Don't be like the Giants fans who thought Domenick Hixon was good enough to fill in for Plax. Austin was often the 5th wheel... now some are saying he could be #1? We need to take a chill pill. If we got a 2nd round for him, that would be fair and I'd take it. Stanback or Hurd should be ready to step up and replace his production. If not, we know what we need next year and we know that we can free up 2 spots by cutting Stanback and Hurd. They've been unknowns for too long. It's time to find out.
                    Crayton was coming off of a 700 yard/7 td season, Austin hadn't done much yet and Hurd was considered a decent #3 at the time -- I still like the signing.

We didn't really know what we had and he was solid as the 3rd option behind Witten and Owens.

Comment

• The Crayton signing was neither cheap or expensive. I thought it was fair, especially considering the year he was coming off of.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post

What has Hurd or Stanback done that would make you feel they can replace Austin? Austin didn't put up earth shattering numbers, but he showed the big play ability we need. I think that he could be a really solid #2 in the league.

Comment

I agree...I thought that Crayton could be replaced production wise with Hurd and we wouldn't have missed a beat. It's not that I thought we overpaid for Crayton...I just thought that it was an unneeded signing.
                          Hurd had done nothing at the time to show that he was ready to take over back then...If he had do you really think that small contract Crayton signed would step in the way of Hurd moving up?

I don't buy that, if Hurd was progressing properly at the time he passes up Crayton easily, when Austin started to show signs he passed Crayton this past season for a few games...I don't believe in any of that "stunt your growth" stuff, Hurd was a great ST and a solid WR at the time, there was no reason to believe Hurd would of been as productive as Crayton from that point on but I'm certain if he was showing the signs he would of moved up.

That contract was small enough to cut Crayton if there were better options, nobody has challenged him for that job until recently, if your good it starts to show eventually...Either way it was such a small deal that it doesn't get in the way of us signing any new talent.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• For the life of me, I can not understand why people say he "had done nothing at the time to show that he was ready to take over"

Under that theory Woodley from Pitt would still be on the bench and thy never would have let Foote go. Harrison would be on the bench and Porter would still be playing.

Whether folks like it or not, you have to project a young player in a back up slot when felling out keeping an older one.

No doubt Crayton is a fine #3 but Hurd would be just as good. Austin is not worthy of a #1 but he has shown enuff to be a legit #2. But you hvae to play them for crying out loud. Same goes for Carpenter.

While it is nice to say player earn time in training camp, it is in games that performance matters and some guys just don't practice well.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                              What has Hurd or Stanback done that would make you feel they can replace Austin? Austin didn't put up earth shattering numbers, but he showed the big play ability we need. I think that he could be a really solid #2 in the league.
                              Well, I don't know jack crap about what Hurd and Stanback can do and THAT is what we need to find out. Without Austin we can find out. Maybe we find out the hard way. But least we get a 2nd rounder out of it who could turn out to have a huge impact on the team. And if Hurd or Stanback do turn out to be nice players then all of sudden.. BINGO.

Even you say Austin could be a nice #2 WR. At least you're not saying he's a #1 like I've heard... but a nice #2 WR... we can find those growing on trees... EVERY year.

With or without Austin... Our receiving options are not what makes me worry about this team.

Comment

• Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                                For the life of me, I can not understand why people say he "had done nothing at the time to show that he was ready to take over"

Under that theory Woodley from Pitt would still be on the bench and thy never would have let Foote go. Harrison would be on the bench and Porter would still be playing.

Whether folks like it or not, you have to project a young player in a back up slot when felling out keeping an older one.

No doubt Crayton is a fine #3 but Hurd would be just as good. Austin is not worthy of a #1 but he has shown enuff to be a legit #2. But you hvae to play them for crying out loud. Same goes for Carpenter.

While it is nice to say player earn time in training camp, it is in games that performance matters and some guys just don't practice well.
                                So how do you feel about Stanback filling in for Austin and picking up a 2nd rounder in the process?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information