This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
    Most of the guys on 4th and long come off as dicks. They wont make the team anyway unless someone greatly surprised as a return man...but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Oh and Joe Avezzano doesn't age.
    It's the hair man. It holds all of Joe's strength. lol
    "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
    ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      Burns, Woodley was a 2nd rounder. Just FYI.
      Hmmm.. Thought he was a 3rd for some reason.

2nd actually wasn't all that bad for him. I assumed he fell all the way to the 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
        Actually a few of these guys have heart. Some are pussies though. I'm surprised in the disparity between the players conditioning. It's like some didn't prep at all.

Olgletree is prob better than all these guys...

Who was DMN saying the favorite was again?

EDIT: Andrews is pretty annoying. I hope he gets cut soon. Actually I hope any white DB/WR would be cut haha.

Pacman should of been put on the show. That would have been funny.

Double Edit: Nice cut with Andrews... dude was just annoying

Their favorite was Andrew Hawkins, the little 5'7 WR who is quick as hell, he made a pretty sick move on the punt drill...He'll at least make it down to the final few.

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
        Most of the guys on 4th and long come off as dicks.

What gave you that impression in one show? Their not out their trying to be friends, and DB's in general are supposed to be cocky and brash point blank, nobody wants a ***** for a DB, that's why they were clownin' the track star for trying to clap at the end of the highlight tape.

The only dude I didn't like left, who bitches about holding in a ******* PR drill? That **** was weak, the rest of the guys seem pretty cool, at least they had some D-1 experience...Swann's injury was pretty nasty looking.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
          Their favorite was Andrew Hawkins, the little 5'7 WR who is quick as hell, he made a pretty sick move on the punt drill...He'll at least make it down to the final few.

What gave you that impression in one show? Their not out their trying to be friends, and DB's in general are supposed to be cocky and brash point blank, nobody wants a ***** for a DB, that's why they were clownin' the track star for trying to clap at the end of the highlight tape.

The only dude I didn't like left, who bitches about holding in a ******* PR drill? That **** was weak, the rest of the guys seem pretty cool, at least they had some D-1 experience...Swann's injury was pretty nasty looking.
          I didnt like the vibe I was getting in most of their alone time with the camera. I was only half paying attention but, I didnt like most of their attitudes. Nothing wrong with being aggressive natured or having a cocky attitude on the field...but no need to be a dick off of it. They're all after the same goal but, you don't have to act like a prick in the process. There should be a certain amount of respect, at the least. I'd have to watch it again but, I wasn't too impressed with what I saw. And there is nothing wrong with the track dude taking the high road and basically congratulating them on their successes to that point. We dont need another clown. Sure be hungry but, we dont need any bad apples. Not like they're going to make the team anyway but still. Let your play do the talking.

and as for the next show. Playing them in those mucky conditions is just pointless.

edit...as for the dude that got cut. What a loser. ha.

edit 2...Looking back, I wouldnt say the majority come off as bad. That's my bad, liek I said I wasnt paying it much attention. I'd change that to some do. But anyway, the whole thing is pretty lame to begin with, imo.
          Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 05-19-2009, 02:47 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
          KO KNOWS

Comment

• Lol, man, they were setting em up for that kinda stuff...Just like at the beginning, they walked them out to face eachother just to trash talk, some of them didn't even want to they just went along with it.

That's all for the show man, their not dicks, it's just harmless trash talk like what goes on when their is competition, besides it's football...Their trying to create that type of environment, you can't get into that mentality well if your super nice to everyone but if you act like their your enemy it gets you pumped.

But I see what your saying though, that's just how I took it, seemed like from the jump the show was trying to provoke that type of atmosphere anyway...Dude who got cut was a ***** though, he was the guy we used to love to go up against in hitting drills lol.

edit: That said, we haven't seen some of these guys actually play WR yet, and some of those WR's have skills...Swann? He's pretty good, that dreaded guy that played football at UNC is a baller, so is Hawkins who was two ways at Toledo, considering last year we had Amendola and Lowber I wouldn't mind one WR getting a pre-season game to see what he could do.

Lowber looked like a guy who could of went on this show anyway, that's all the bottom of the roster is about, at least their football players.
            Last edited by LonghornsLegend; 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by duckseason View Post
              Oh I agree with the first part. But you listed 4 teams as though Dallas didn't belong in their class. Replacing Canty with Olshansky doesn't make it any easier to block anybody. Hell, I might be inclined to slide Ratliff back over to end and play Olshansky in the middle. I'd have to be out there at practice and get a look though. Bottom line is they will eat plenty of blockers.

If Newman manages to stay healthy, that helps tremendously as well. As does the departure of Roy Williams. Who knows how things may shake out, but obviously this team is capable of putting up tremendous sack totals. Ellis being older ought to be negated by Spencer being more experienced and actually healthy. And he's still Greg Ellis. Strahan put up 11.5 at the same age, and went on to play 2 more years. As long as he hasn't retired, Ellis is good for a nice handful of sacks.

For this team to lead the league in sacks last year in spite of some of their major deficiencies/injury issues, I think they'd be on the short list of favorites to do so this year is well. Especially considering the personnel improvements/potential to stay healthy. I mean, we had 25 more sacks than the Ravens last year. I obviously realize it could be the other way around this year, but it's probably a safer bet to just assume both teams will be right there toward the top.
              I am guilty of shortchanging the Cowboys. I didn't realize that they had that many sacks.

But I do think you lose some with Canty. Canty didn't get many sacks, but he did get pressure. Olshanksky is strictly a run stuffer. He gives you zero pressure. He's a glorified Marcus Spears really.

Ellis can still get maybe 7 to 8 sacks a year, but nothing more. Remember, Ellis never had more than 12.5 sacks, and that was 1 year. He's always been a 8 sack or less guy.

I could see top 5 for sure. I'm actually surprised at your sack #s from last year. But I think Ratliff overachieved as a pressure guy, and Ware will not get the same sack total either.

Either way, make no mistake, I by no means think that Dallas's defense is poor. I think its very good. I just see a top 5 sack total opposed to being #1 in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                I am guilty of shortchanging the Cowboys. I didn't realize that they had that many sacks.

But I do think you lose some with Canty. Canty didn't get many sacks, but he did get pressure. Olshanksky is strictly a run stuffer. He gives you zero pressure. He's a glorified Marcus Spears really.

Ellis can still get maybe 7 to 8 sacks a year, but nothing more. Remember, Ellis never had more than 12.5 sacks, and that was 1 year. He's always been a 8 sack or less guy.

I could see top 5 for sure. I'm actually surprised at your sack #s from last year. But I think Ratliff overachieved as a pressure guy, and Ware will not get the same sack total either.

Either way, make no mistake, I by no means think that Dallas's defense is poor. I think its very good. I just see a top 5 sack total opposed to being #1 in the league.
                Completely possible.

And I know what you're saying about Ware... He's going for the record this year :P

We're about to find out what Canty did for Ware in terms on occupying blockers. I loved him, but there was no way we could dish out that money for him. I'm actually surprised the Giants were able to spend that cash on that spot considering the other guys they have on the D-line.

All of the reasons you gave are valid and just reinforce the fact that we need Spencer to show up big this year.

I actually think our D was overrated last year. I wasn't happy with it at all. Here's to hoping our young guys in the secondary become play makers and Spencer/Hatcher can tap into their potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  Lol, man, they were setting em up for that kinda stuff...Just like at the beginning, they walked them out to face eachother just to trash talk, some of them didn't even want to they just went along with it.

That's all for the show man, their not dicks, it's just harmless trash talk like what goes on when their is competition, besides it's football...Their trying to create that type of environment, you can't get into that mentality well if your super nice to everyone but if you act like their your enemy it gets you pumped.

But I see what your saying though, that's just how I took it, seemed like from the jump the show was trying to provoke that type of atmosphere anyway...Dude who got cut was a ***** though, he was the guy we used to love to go up against in hitting drills lol.

edit: That said, we haven't seen some of these guys actually play WR yet, and some of those WR's have skills...Swann? He's pretty good, that dreaded guy that played football at UNC is a baller, so is Hawkins who was two ways at Toledo, considering last year we had Amendola and Lowber I wouldn't mind one WR getting a pre-season game to see what he could do.

Lowber looked like a guy who could of went on this show anyway, that's all the bottom of the roster is about, at least their football players.
                  I'll reserve judement but, some of them certainly seem like dicks or idiots. haha. I'm happy that Andrews is gone already, that guy was a joke.

Sad thing is, I dont even know some of these guys...i'm fairly familiar with Gonzalez, Holley, Erick, Swan, and Moses. But, I cant say that I know a damn thing about the rest.

Being that this show is on Spike, I'm bound to forget about it and miss a bunch of episodes.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• We all know that Burns is a "the sky is falling" type of guy :P he's setting his standards so high on Spencer only because if Spencer goes double digit in sacks but doesn't reach 14 he can still think the sky is falling :D

I'm joking man ;)

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• It's all good Madano.

I just want to win. I just think we need some guys to have huge years in order to do that in a tough division.

It's his 3rd year and he's underperformed so far. Time to make up for that and blow us all away. :)

Plus we're going to be playing the AFC west this year guys... I mean come on. Sacks should be reigning.

Now Ware can get a taste of the revolving doors Merriman lives in.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

We'll have to partly disagree here. Canty has better closing quickness, but Olshansky does get a good push. The advantage I see with Olshansky is that he is more relentless. He's just more ferocious out there than Canty. He appears to have a higher motor.

But the point I was making was in response to your claim that losing Canty would make it easier to block Ratliff. Canty and Olshansky getting sacks themselves is irrelevant because it's a wash. Point is, Olshansky is a hell of a space eater. I'd say he's not only a better run defender than Canty, but also a better asset with gap control considerations in mind. I'd give the nod to Canty when it comes to range, athleticism and closing pressure, but you're overstating your point when you say Olshansky gets "zero" pressure. I think we do lose a bit, but also gain in other areas. How the swap affects the entire defense remains to be seen, but I think the impact will be negligible when it comes to sack numbers.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        Dude c'mon now. I agree that Ellis is probably only good for 7-10 sacks this year if healthy, but let's keep things in perspective here. Greg Ellis spent his entire career as a DE in a 4-3. That 12.5 career year you mention was his first year as a full-fledged OLB, and he only played in 13 games. The guy is perfectly capable of putting up big sack numbers, even at his age.

I'll go back to Strahan to illustrate my point. Take a look at his career sack totals and how they fluctuated wildly from season to season. Indeed, for some of those seasons, there were guys like us sitting around saying he was getting old and was only good for 7-10 sacks max the following year.

The primary reason we should feel Ellis' numbers may be limited, is that he'll be playing in a rotation. Not because he averaged 8 sacks for his career or that he's old or incapable or anything. The guy is still a beast. It has much more to do with the opponents we face this year, the amount of playing time he receives, and his health. If the guy is still playing, he'll be getting to the QB. He'll either retire or be benched before he stops sacking QB's.

I dunno man, Ratliff has been pretty consistent with his production in relation to his PT all along. I certainly don't expect 7.5 sacks this year, but the guy has proven to be one hell of a pass rusher from the inside.

Lost in all this talk is that we need to remember that the difference between a 12 sack season and an 8 sack season can simply be a few QB's who were able to get the ball out at the last second. Or they're extra slippery. To sit here and put narrow, detailed floors and ceilings on guys' official numbers is a futile exercise, because those numbers aren't necessarily an accurate gauge of the player's ability in the first place. There's too many variables that go into the end result that are outside the individual players' control to allow for accurate predictions. The sack rankings do not directly correlate with how players rank as individual pass rushers, is what I'm trying to say.

So, while we may not feel that Olshansky is all that great of a pass rusher, he could very well post 6-8 sacks this year just by playing in front of a guy like Ware and next to Ratliff, and maybe lucking into a few. If Ware gets to the QB lightning quick, puts a hand on him and half drags him down but the QB slips out of it and up into the pocket where Olshansky just now beat his man...well Olshansky gets the sack.

Oh I hear you man. It's all just conjecture anyway, and I'm fully aware that Dallas' defense as a whole is not on the elite level of some of the others you mentioned. But really, if you think a team will be top 5 in sacks, you may as well say they are a likely candidate to lead the league. As we know, the difference is often negligible between those top few teams, and the top team isn't necessarily the top team. Meaning that if you expect the team with the best pass rush to end up with the most sacks, the odds would be against you. (assuming we could define such in the first place)

I dunno I just found the whole discussion kind of odd because not only did we lead the league last year, but we were 3rd in '07, giving us the highest total over the past two seasons. I mean we should give Wade Phillips some credit in this regard as well, although he certainly has his shortcomings. I guess if people feel we got worse on defense over the offseason, that's a reasonable opinion. I just don't see it. I see an elite pass-rushing team that's made huge strides in resolving some serious coverage issues, which would theoretically only aid in the pressure put on opposing QB's. But hey, EVERY unit on EVERY team got better over the offseason, as we all know.

Comment

• I think we got better in the secondary... Addition by subtraction with Henry and Roy. Both were over the hill. We've added some guys at SS who are not completely incompetent in coverage. Not saying they are rangy center fielders, but they are better than Williams/Davis.

LBers are about the same. Brooking may hold up better than Thomas in the middle. Although I think we really lost a crucial 3rd down guy in Kevin Burnett. We've been vulnerable across the short middle in the past few years and we finally solved that last year. Now it's back to square one unless Jason Williams gives us more than I'm expecting him too. Spencer is healthy.

D-line -- May have lost a little, pretty much a wash. Igor for Canty seems like a pretty even switch to me. Igor was a beast under Wade in San Diego. He's coming off of a down year, we'll see if he turns it around. My biggest problem is that we didn't upgrade. I thought upgrading our D-line was crucial in order to take this defense to the next level. The argument can be made that the talent wasn't available to do so, but I would think anybody over Spears would be an improvement -- Obviously Gilbert was my first target, and Chris Baker later on.

I think we can expect close to what we got last year on defense. IMO, that isn't good enough. They had some games where they looked like an elite defense, and they had others where they looked like a bottom 5 (St. Louis, Baltimore, Philly...)

My hopes of a good D will come down to the performances of a few guys. How will Jenkins be as a starter and how will Spencer be as a starter. If both can live up to their draft status, than great. Maybe we have something special. Right now, I'm "mehh" on it.

Comment

• I just love that Keith Davis is gone. I hate him. I don't care if he's a great special teamer but the fact that he could have been on roster made me nervous. Because he could have had a shot at a starting position or he could have been starting because of an injury while he completely sucks as a safety.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• I actually thought Davis was a better safety than Williams over the past 2 years. Better in coverage and gave the same support in the run game.

I'm especially happy to see RW gone, and I'm fine with Davis gone. He was tapped out. We added some young guys, maybe one of them can pan out as a starter...

Comment

• There's some good convo going on about the defense. I guess I might as well throw in my two cents.

-I didn't want to lose Canty, but the money was just too high. Igor was an even trade however. He's a talented guy that worked well under the system. I wish that both could play together, but we all know about salary cap restrictions. I expect Igor to have a good year next to Ratliff. I love strength, and Igor is a strong guy that doesn't get pushed around.

-Spears is still here, and I think this is a contract year. For years I have been waiting for him to explode, but last year before the season I accepted him for what he is. He's a serviceable guy at best. I don't think he's crap, but he can be upgraded. Maybe Hatcher takes his spot this year, but Marcus has to play pretty well to get a new contract.

-Ratliff will continue to shine in my eyes. The guy is a hustler, and he has shown some real good improvement every year. He's one of my favorite recent steals. I really don't question him staying good at all, I just really compare him a tiny bit to Bowen. I really think Bowen is alot better than people give him credit for. He'll turn into a real good rotational guy, you'll see. He's good at getting some penetration in Wade's scheme.

-The secondary is fine. The safeties are okay enough, and Newman is still one of the best when healthy. Jenkins and Scandrick are really talented, and they'll be a strength. My problem is with the middle of the field. Even after Wade took over that middle was too vulnerable. Bradie isn't good at coverage, Brooking is barely an upgrade over Zach Thomas, and that's not saying much at all. Losing Burnett stings like hell, because he was let go for real cheap. Now there's a logjam in the middle to see who can be trusted in nickel. Jason Williams holds some exciting potential, but I'm not counting on him to do too much yet. I think 2010 is the year to get excited about him. I'm just scared that the plan will be to roll the dice. Either they say, "f@ck it, let's see what Carp does in real time." Or they just go with Stewart hoping for he best.

-Pass rushing will once again be pretty good. If there's one thing Wade is good at it's getting pressure. Ware won't get 20 sacks this season.........he'll get 25!:p Okay that's enough homerism there. Ware will be great again whether he gets 20 again, or if he gets 12. Offensive coordinators will give him a ton of attention, and that will open up avenues for other guys. Bradie is a guy that is average to above average at most things, but if there's one thing we found out about him last year it's that he can really rush the passer well. So can Ratliff and Ellis. If Ware doesn't get 20 again, Bradie gets 9, Ellis gets 8.5, and Ratliff gets 7. I'd take that! Ellis has always been a good, not great rusher. He's always needed another guy next to him to push into getting double digits. Well he got his two years back, and I don't expect him to go there again at this age. He's still a good technical guy that can get things done, even if he's lost a step.

-The wild card is Spencer. We know he's talented, but now it will be time to put up or shut up. Ware is going to be the one that gets double and triple teamed, so Spencer will have one-on-one's all day. I think what holds/held him back is that he's still getting used to the transition of moving to linebacker. Like I mentioned before, I expect him to get around 9 sacks next year. That could be 8, 9, 10, or even 11. Regardless, I want to see him get some pressure like he did back in 07 against Eli. He terrorized the hell out of him, and injured his shoulder. It's like every snap he was in the back field telling Eli that he was gone be his ***** that day. He might have gotten one sack, but he got a helluva lot of pressures and knock downs.

-Great quote by duck about pass rushers getting sacks. Sometimes a 12 sack season was only making 12 good plays while having no impact outside of that. Sometimes it's almost 12, but then you play McNabb twice, and he makes you cry. lol
                                "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                                ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information