No announcement yet.

Dallas Cowboys Draft Grade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Anthony Spencer - Great pick and trades. Will contribute right away, and challenge for the starting spot. Between him, Ware and Ellis we should have a good pass rush and good depth. A

2. James Marten - I am not impressed by Marten. He is good depth, but that is all I really see him being in his career, and he was picked too early to just be depth. C

3. Isaiah Stanback - I don't like this pick at all. If he plays WR he will be the 6th WR, which makes it hard to keep him on the active roster. As a quarterback he doesn't have very good decision making skills and is unrefined. Also he hasn't shown return ability either. I find it hard to believe he makes the roster. D

4. Doug Free - Love the pick. We got great value here. I really believe with his athleticism that he can become our next LT. Give him a one year to get his strength and conditioning up to the NFL level and he will start to challenge for the spot. A

5. Nick Folk - I know many people don't like this pick, but I actually do. Mason Crosby was over rated by fans and there was a reason why he was the 3rd K taken. Folk was split with Medlock as the best K by most scouts. Finally a K with the talent to be the Cowboys kicker for a long time. A

6. Deon Anderson - I thought Cory Anderson would be the better pick, but considering how many FB were taken with Cory being passed over scouts must have seen something that I overlooked. Deon is a good run blocking FB though, and that is just what we need. B-

7. Courtney Brown - Loved this pick. Brown was definitely on my list of prospects I wanted. He has all the potential in the world, just needs some time to develop. Needs to put in the hard work to improve or he wont turn out though. A

8. Alan Ball - Ball has the ability to be at least a dime corner somewhere, but I don't think that is Dallas. With the resigning of Reeves and Jones and drafting of Brown there were better picks. Ball did have a good senior year and was a four year starter. Wasn't a flashy player in college, more like Newman in playing the receiver not the ball. A little on the slow and light side. good value though, several scouts had him in the 5th and 6th rounds. B-

Overall grade- A the fact that we likely will have a top ten pick next year bumped the grade up.

Comment

No BBD, Spencer is our SOLB. Ware is a natural WOLB. How do you figure he is a SOLB? Spencer, is the bigger, more compact player.

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
        No BBD, Spencer is our SOLB. Ware is a natural WOLB. How do you figure he is a SOLB? Spencer, is the bigger, more compact player.
        I like Spencer as a pure pass rusher better than Ware. He has more moves, and has a better motor.

Ware can cover very well, and for the immediate future, is better moving to SOLB. He doesn't have a great arsenal of pass rush moves, but is great against the run, and great in coverage. He's better off being moved to the strongside where he can drop back more, and use his speed rush against slower thicker RTs.

Its hard for a DE converted LB to develop coverage skills. Its better off using Spencer as a WOLB for the time being while he develops his coverage skills. Ware is already polished in that regards, he should be moved to the strongside.

Comment

No way, Ware is definitly a better pass rusher. He is faster, more athletic, and A LOT more fluid. Spencer may have more moves, but you can learn moves. Spencer is shorter, stronger, and bigger. He will be better against the run. Ware is a WOLB. I don't think there is any way he moves either.

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
            No way, Ware is definitly a better pass rusher. He is faster, more athletic, and A LOT more fluid. Spencer may have more moves, but you can learn moves. Spencer is shorter, stronger, and bigger. He will be better against the run. Ware is a WOLB. I don't think there is any way he moves either.
            Wade moves his pass rushers around. I dont think its out of the question to see Ware lined up on the strongside at times.

Pass rushing moves are not as simple as you think. If Ware didn't learn em by now, chances are he won't learn em. Pass rushing is a game of chess between the rusher and the Tackle. You have to set them up during the coarse of the game. I don't see Ware doing that. He has 2 standard pass rush moves, and never sets his guy up. Doesn't use his hands well either. I like his speed on the RT. It presents a more favorable matchup. If he doesn't improve on that this upcoming year, don't expect him to ever improve upon that part of his game. Its now or never for him in that regards.

Either way, I think they will be moved around. Theres almost no distinction between SOLB and WOLB in Wade's scheme. Expect to see both of them man both OLB positions often.

Comment

Oh I know they will be moved around. But in the base defense, and the majority of the snaps, Ware is the WOLB, Spencer is the SOLB. And I think Ware will explode this season I expect 17+ sacks. Parcells was holding him back. Wade Phillips will unleash him. Ware probably has more moves, but Parcells the control freak probably said no. Either way, Ware and Spencer coming off the edge will be fun, good luck. Our secondary will only benefit from this as well.

Comment

1. Anthony Spencer - Great pick and trades. Will contribute right away, and challenge for the starting spot. Between him, Ware and Ellis we should have a good pass rush and good depth. The more I read the more I fall in love. A smart player with that much talent warrants an A+

3. James Marten - Marten is a wildcard. My hunch is that we moved down to take Usama..but NO snatched him. Marten was plan B. I just about cried when we didn't take Free..but here is the thinking. We have no swing tackle with the loss of Fabini. Procter is currently our backup OG...we needed depth. Marten actually has mroe athletic ability than people give him credit for...he has enough to pinch start at LT if needed to. I like this pick from a depth standpoint...this also gives us a RT if Columbo faulters. The organization isn't sold on Columbo which is why I think this move was made in the end...you could see it from his contract...this is the #1 position fight in TC...should be fun to watch. Another smart kid in the draft I love it.

4. Isaiah Stanback - When I saw this pick I was sad...I obviously really wanted Free although I didn't think he would get the nod anyways. But most of my Stanback hate came from Tubby. 4.3 speed at 6-2 doesn't fall much further. Stanback gives us a 3rd QB on game day something that woulda been Crayton. He gives us a guy who can stretch the field vertically. After breaking him down he really seems like a Miles Austin type of player which questions where Austin will be after this year...another interesting TC battle. C

4. Doug Free - I was shocked actually...I thought our staff was done with the OL with the Marten pick. What can I say...this guy with 1 season under his belt is going to be a stud. He has everything you look for..and if he wasn't injured this year would have been the 2nd tackle off the board. I can't wait to see him in 2008. A+

5. Nick Folk - I was surprised by this pick. I had Crosby over him in my rankings...but I'm going to trust the scouts. Folk is going to make this team as a KOS...especially since we won't be carrying 3 QB's on the roster again this year. He's got a big boot...can also punt gotta like that. If something were to ever happen to McBriar. People might say we went kicker to early...but Crosby went off the board shortly after so I'm not buying it. Great time to snatch him up if he was our guy. Reminds me a lot of when Wade drafted Jason Elam. B

6. Deon Anderson - I had a hunch we would be touching FB in this draft. Garretts offense is much like the offense that the cowboys ran in the 90's. We needed a fullback to punch people in the mouth in the hole...yet the hands to be able to catch in the flats. Fills a need and our type of guy...solid pick. B+

7. Courtney Brown - One of my darkhorses to go early. I really don't see what seperated him from a guy like Usama Young. OBviously he has the numbers to be a starting CB in this league...will be interesting to see where he fits. Another fun TC position to watch. I don't believe Reeves was tendered...so our nickel spot will be Glenn/Jones/Bulter(i'm only hearing good things about)/Brown I still think Glenn holds the spot but the 4 spot will be fun to watch who wins. A+

8. Alan Ball - Don't have a lot of information on the guy. He ran fast and has size...thats about all I can get. Probably has a outside shot at a PS guy. If he could put on about 10-15lbs without losing his athletic ability he might make the team in 08. D

Overall grade- A

Comment

BBD and Tnew...I would just like to come out and say that unlike Parcells scheme...phillips 34 uses the Sam backer as the primary 4th rusher.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                    BBD and Tnew...I would just like to come out and say that unlike Parcells scheme...phillips 34 uses the Sam backer as the primary 4th rusher.
                    Well, from what Ive seen, more often than not, he's sending both at the qb. So it doesn't really matter. Both OLBs are pretty much pass rushers in this new scheme. Both have very similar responsibilities.

Expect lots of pass rushing from both him and Ware. Coverage is gonna fall on Carp's shoulders.

I liked Carp's rush moves. I think he wouldve worked out at OLB. But whatever, Wade knows infinitely more than I do. I'll take his word for it.

Comment

Well, I am not as bullish on this draft as others. Here is my read

Overall Draft: C -- We came into the draft in need of NT, WR, DB and OL and we only addressed OL in any serious form.

Spencer: B -- Best rusher in the draft and BBD is right. WOLB and Ware moves to his natural SOLB. Unfortunately this gives us 5 starting OLB with at least two of them devaluing like a Yugo fresh out of the dealer lot.

Marten: B+ -- A bit of a stretch but gives us a future RT if he works hard. Like his nastiness.

Free: B -- Good value pick. Like the potential with our three developmental Tackle. McQuistan, Free adn Marten.

Stanbeck: F -- Look like a Jerry wanna Antwan Randle EL move. Not a Pro QB.

Nick Folk: F -- Kicker with accuracy issues of a tee. Great.

Deon Anderson: F -- 3 full backs. Great. We just tendered Polite and have Hoyt.

Courtney Brown: B -- Good value.

Alan Ball: F -- Maybe he can serve lunch during training camp and eat some food.

To me there are two silver lingings to this draft which I think Jerry completely messed up after the trade. 1) Ware goes to natural position which mean Bradie hits the pines if Carpenter can play like he did in Seattle. 2) Cleveland will suck next year and I prefer James Stewart to McFadden -- faster, more elusive, bettre pass catcher and bigger. Plays in a messed up system for a super star Tail Back. Reminds me of Barry Sanders with 40 extra pounds and hands to catch a pass.

This roster + picks has too many SS, too many OLB, too many FB, too many low potential CB and we did not solve WR, NT or Safety. Love our Tackle situation in terms of depth.

Kind of upset, don't think any player picked will make a meaningful contribution to the 07 team.

But just football......... G night.
                      Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 04-29-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

So harsh....we have 4 OLBs....Ellis is in his contract year and coming off an ACL injury. Burnett has always played Ware's backup and gets about 50% of the snaps on defense in non-base defenses. Spencer will give us insurance if Ellis isn't back healthy enough...and keep Ellis fresh...not bad.

We have Hoyte who is a project who can't catch..and constantly missed blocks in the hole..sure if he hits you your done...but he had more than his fair share of wiffs. Polite is just the opposite...Parcells kept trying to get him at TE...because he just doesn't have the base to block in the hole our out in space...he had great hands...but not the blocker that is needed for Garrett's scheme. Got to give props...Dallas went out and got a guy who will fit their scheme...I don't see how that is a F.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                          Well, I am not as bullish on this draft as others. Here is my read

Overall Draft: C -- We came into the draft in need of NT, WR, DB and OL and we only addressed OL in any serious form.

Spencer: B -- Best rusher in the draft and BBD is right. WOLB and Ware moves to his natural SOLB. Unfortunately this gives us 5 starting OLB with at least two of them devaluing like a Yugo fresh out of the dealer lot.

Marten: B+ -- A bit of a stretch but gives us a future RT if he works hard. Like his nastiness.

Free: B -- Good value pick. Like the potential with our three developmental Tackle. McQuistan, Free adn Marten.

Stanbeck: F -- Look like a Jerry wanna Antwan Randle EL move. Not a Pro QB.

Nick Folk: F -- Kicker with accuracy issues of a tee. Great.

Deon Anderson: F -- 3 full backs. Great. We just tendered Polite and have Hoyt.

Courtney Brown: B -- Good value.

Alan Ball: F -- Maybe he can serve lunch during training camp and eat some food.

To me there are two silver lingings to this draft which I think Jerry completely messed up after the trade. 1) Ware goes to natural position which mean Bradie hits the pines if Carpenter can play like he did in Seattle. 2) Cleveland will suck next year and I prefer James Stewart to McFadden -- faster, more elusive, bettre pass catcher and bigger. Plays in a messed up system for a super star Tail Back. Reminds me of Barry Sanders with 40 extra pounds and hands to catch a pass.

This roster + picks has too many SS, too many OLB, too many FB, too many low potential CB and we did not solve WR, NT or Safety. Love our Tackle situation in terms of depth.

Kind of upset, don't think any player picked will make a meaningful contribution to the 07 team.

But just football......... G night.
                          Well said. Because we are going to get next year top 10 pick, I have to give them a C+, otherwise is a D.
                          Last edited by nrcirc; 04-30-2007, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Grade D

Spencer: Nice Addition and much needed. Pasing up a blue chip QB when we do not have one might come back to haunt this team.....as well as Miami!

Hope they can turn the two firsts next year in for a franchise QB or RB. This team has neither.

But it dosent really matter because thanks to the Raiders they just handed another Superbowl Trophy to New England. With The off season moves and now Moss that team will not be stoped. Everyone take your hat off to an organization who really knows how to do the right things. I wish we could learn a thing or two from that team....sigh

Comment

Originally posted by Texico From Mexico View Post
                              Grade D

Spencer: Nice Addition and much needed. Pasing up a blue chip QB when we do not have one might come back to haunt this team.....as well as Miami!

Hope they can turn the two firsts next year in for a franchise QB or RB. This team has neither.

But it dosent really matter because thanks to the Raiders they just handed another Superbowl Trophy to New England. With The off season moves and now Moss that team will not be stoped. Everyone take your hat off to an organization who really knows how to do the right things. I wish we could learn a thing or two from that team....sigh
                              You forgot to say how godly was Jimmy Johnson!

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

You can't give Dallas any less than a B because they got the guy who they wanted in round 1 plus an extra round 1 pick for next year's very talented draft. That in itself warrants a B.

The rest of the draft was not that great. Below average quite honestly. But still, to get Spencer and a 1st for next year was great. Jerry did a poor job with the rest of his picks, but he made up for it early on. I'll give him a B after further evaluation.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information