Jones gets what he wants......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones gets what he wants......

Savage called Jacksonville, which had the 17th pick. No. Right about then, Savage got wind of Baltimore also trying to deal up in the round to get Quinn. And he feared Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome would make a deal with one of his best buddies, Jags GM James Harris. But Harris had other ideas, dealing down four spots with Denver and picking up third- and sixth-round picks.

Savage didn't try Cincinnati at 18. "You think they'd ever trade with us?'' he said, chuckling. "I don't think so.'' Tennessee and the Giants, at 19 and 20, respectively, both said no. Next up was Jacksonville, which planned to make its new pick at 21. Another phone call. Another no.

Desperate minutes now. Savage knew Kansas City might be a logical team to just sit there at 23 to take Quinn. So the only team left was Dallas, at 22.

"I really didn't know Jerry Jones,'' Savage said. "We'd never done anything with the Cowboys. I'd seen him at league meetings, and I had a lot of respect for him, but there was no prior experience there.''

Savage offered Jones second- and third-round picks. Jones said no. End of call. Jones called back and asked for Cleveland's first-rounder in 2008, and Savage said he'd consider doing it -- but without adding anything else this year. Jones said no; he had to have a high pick this year. End of call.

"Now [the Cowboys] were on the clock, and I figured, 'This is a guy we really want,''' said Savage. "We've got to make our best offer now.''

Sort of. With the minutes ticking by, Savage offered next year's first-round and this year's third-round picks to Dallas. Nope, said Jones. It'll take next year's one and this year's two. Savage said he'd call right back.

Meanwhile, Jones told the Cowboys man at the draft in New York to write down the name of Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer on a card and get it ready to turn in. "We had four guys very close in value right there,'' Jones said. (One other candidate there, I learned, was LSU wideout Dwayne Bowe.) "And I was determined that we would get one of them, unless we could get that Cleveland pick next year.''

With two minutes left in the period, Savage called. "We'll do it,'' he said. "Our two this year and next year's one.''

"Deal,'' Jones said.

Savage hung up the phone. There were about 30 people -- coaches, scouts, owner's family and friends -- in the Cleveland draft room, and when Savage said, "We got him!'' the place exploded. One of my HBO buddies, Jason Cohen, a Browns freak, texted me thusly: "Best day of Browns FB in 10 years!"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...9/draft/1.html
    That's what I'm talking about, Don't back down!

Jerry!! Jerry!!! Jerry!!!

Bow down.

Comment

The browns hold the cards here. If Quinn tuns out great, we won the trade. If he turns out bad, the Cowboys and more specifically Jerry Jones did GREAT.

Comment

Ummm, no. We won the trade either way, because we are getting a top 10, probably top 5 pick. JoeMontainya you are pretty dumb.

Just like you were the frontrunners for Kris Dielman because he is from Ohio. LMAO.

Comment

Both teams won on the trade. Browns got there franchise QB, and we got the guy jerry targeted and a another 1st rounder for next year. If the Browns kept that pick, they would probably used on a QB next year anyways.

Comment

I agree that both teams did well with the trade.

Cleveland essentially gave up a second for the option to take their franchise QB a year eariler.

Comment

DALLAS WINS!

Pick 22 - 780 points

Pick 36 - 540 points

Difference of 240 points, equivalent of a #70 pick, 3rd Round.

As long as Cleveland's first round pick comes before the 3rd round, pick 70, Dallas WINS! Hardy Fck'n Har Har! Browns got it up the ass.

We got the guy we wanted all along and stole their first rounder next year.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                DALLAS WINS!

Pick 22 - 780 points

Pick 36 - 540 points

Difference of 240 points, equivalent of a #70 pick, 3rd Round.

As long as Cleveland's first round pick comes before the 3rd round, pick 70, Dallas WINS! Hardy Fck'n Har Har! Browns got it up the ass.

We got the guy we wanted all along and stole their first rounder next year.
                Quinn is a #3 pick, better than any QB in next years draft......

Quinn=2200 points

Browns were 6-10 in 2005 and drafted 12th.....injuries and bad breaks caused Browns to lose some tight games......only someone who doesn't know what's on the Browns roster would think they'll be worse than 6-10

12 pick =1200 points
                36th pick = 540 points

Cowboys got picks worth 1740 points and Browns got a pick worth 2200 points......Jerry should have asked for the Browns' 2008 2nd or 3rd also. Savage would have swallowed hard and thrown it in........worse yet, Browns may draft lower than 12 next year.....
                UH OH!!!!!! Even worse, Cowboys QB is Tony Romo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Romo looked like Charlie Frye in those last 6 games and that fumbled kick snap destroyed him mentally.........Romo's a good guy, but a loser............you got a loser for QB, but he's a good guy....................smartest move would have been Cowboys taking Quinn........
                Last edited by tbraton; 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Quinn is a #3 pick? last I checked he was about to fall out of the first round. Desperation caused you guys to morgage your future. And as far as next year - rookie tackle and rookie Q.B. good luck with that.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

If Quinn is so good why did so many teams pass him up?

Comment

Originally posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
                      If Quinn is so good why did so many teams pass him up?
                      You cant look at it that way....Quinn is good, there just wasnt a big need for a QB so he slipped.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
                        JoeMontainya you are pretty dumb.
                        LMAO!!!..........Why do these 14 year old snot-nosed kids from the Browns' board come here?........They should SHUT-TF-UP and go sit in the corner.........

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                          You cant look at it that way....Quinn is good, there just wasnt a big need for a QB so he slipped.

Didn't more teams pass on Marino?......Why did most teams ppass on Brady 6 times each?

Comment

Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
                            Quinn is a #3 pick? last I checked he was about to fall out of the first round. Desperation caused you guys to morgage your future. And as far as next year - rookie tackle and rookie Q.B. good luck with that.
                            Another Romosexual!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! After next season, Jerry will be calling Phil to see what he wants in trade for Charlie Frye!!!!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Good thing Jerry and Phil got a good trading relationship.........Desperation had nothing to do with that trade, it was OPPORTUNITY.....Phil was all over it.........you guys will be taking about passing on Quinn for the next 50 years.......you guys got Tony Romo!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
                            Last edited by tbraton; 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                              Yeah I understand that just wanted to say something and it was the first thing to come to my head. I see him having a solid career.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information