Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Oliver/ any chance?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...earlylook.html

Scott has him on his list for top ten seniors that would have potentially had great seasons next year, the only problem is ESPN is reporting Oliver is academically ineligible for the upcoming season and will enter the supplemental draft this summer.

Im not sure how the supplemental draft actually works or if the cowboys even have an opportunity to choose a player in it, but maybe all hope is not lost for taking a CB with great potential this year after all.

Any chance at us grabbing this guy?

It is worth noting that Oliver is one of the few who actually contained calvin johnson last year holding him to 2 catches for 13 yards.
    Last edited by Burns336; 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM.

No. Don't waste a pick for next year. We already have our CB project with potential, Courtney Brown. The supplemental draft takes whatever pick you spend on the player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever round), and takes that pick from you in next year's real draft.
    Last edited by Achilles33; 05-17-2007, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
      He need a RB and WR next year, not a CB. Courtney Brown, remember the name.
      Well actually this is for the supplemental draft this summer, but I appreciate a pathetic effort by you to derail my thread. Now crawl back into your cave and dont come out until you have permission.

Id rather add to the competition at CB instead of shying away from it. This is a player who's early projection was to be in the first round of the '08 draft. If we could bring a guy like this in to battle with some 7th rounders, I think you might be the only person who has a problem with that.

Comment

Refresh the page, I edited it, I didn't read the supplemental draft part.

Comment

This guy is a great player, no question i'de offer our 2nd rounder for him, at 6' 200lbs, rumor is he can run a 4.3 40.He possibly would be the 1st CB selected in next years draft.(atleast top 3)

Comment

No. Don't waste a pick for next year. We already have our CB project with potential, Courtney Brown. The supplemental draft takes whatever pick you spend on the player (1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever round), and takes that pick from you in next year's real draft.
            Well he apprently has first round talent, why wait till next year to grab that?

I mean according to your theory, we are going to win the SB this year no questions asked, so why not give up the 32nd pick in the first round to take a flyer on this guy. We would still have that potentially high browns draft pick for someone else early?

Comment

Refresh the page, I edited it, I didn't read the supplemental draft part.
              Maybe you'll learn a lesson from that and read post's all the way through next time before you try to argue with someone.

Comment

from yahoo sports .... "Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia Oliver is an ideal-sized defender who combines terrific man coverage and ball skills. He was tempted to declare early, but his decision to return for a senior campaign should pay off with him being the top-rated senior cornerback. He has the ability to turn and run with most receivers, and his long arms and height (6 feet) keep taller receivers from being able to push him around or out-jump him."

from Sporting news...

"Cornerback

1. Antoine Cason, Arizona
                2. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
                3. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
                4. Aqib Talib, Kansas
                5. Paul Oliver, Georgia

The breakdown: How good is this group? All five guys have NFL first-round potential. Jenkins and Oliver are big, physical cover guys who can run, and Cason is the complete package: lock-down coverage, strong run support."

and finally Todd McShay's Top 10 for next year

"6. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
                Oliver is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2008 class right now. This 6-foot, 205-pound cornerback impressed me with his improved coverage skills during the second half of the 2006 season, including a tremendous effort versus former Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2 overall). Don't be surprised if Oliver emerges as a top-10 pick a year from now."

The one thing that sticks out to me is that everyone mentions his physical style of play which is crucial for CB's in the Phillips 3-4 because of the jam and rerouting that is required of them at the line.

This could be a guy who would actually fit in quite nicely with this particular defense, that being said, i doubt we even take a look at this guy. :(

Comment

The Bengals only gave up a 3rd for Ahmad Brooks. If it would mean just losing a 3rd I would definitely be for that.

With that said I don't think it would be very likely that we take him.

Comment

I think you get serious discount in the Supplemental to actual talent received. 2nd or 3rd, sure. First no.

Ahmad Brooks is a great example. First round talent no doubt but slipped to the third and if not for the Team Jail Time I think he would have kept going to the 4th or 5th.

I can see academically ineligible freshmen or sophmore but Junior? Common dog you really gotta be a jerk-off to fail after riding that bike for 3 years.

Comment

CJ only have 2 for 13 yards against him. Bad grades is not a issue to me. I will use a 5th and even a 4th to get him

Comment

I'd risk a third.

Comment

Originally posted by BX View Post
                          I'd risk a third.
                          I don't see a discount if we use a third.

Comment

Funny because last year I was a little surprised we did not take Ahmad Brooks in the Sup. He was an Al Groh guy so Parcells definately has the in there. Come to think of it maybe that is why we did not take him. He was a Parcells prototype ILB 6'4 260.
                            Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM.

Comment

He'd be worth using a 3rd for sure. A second or first is a bit risky for a guy that might have enough off the field issues to make him un-reliable.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                              I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information