This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by njx9
    most of the carries? seems pretty unlikely. get 5-10 carries? possibly. though his last quote (something along the lines of "i dunno, it's my hamstring, i may decide i can play on sunday or i may not" [yes, i editorialized slightly]) didn't seem highly encouraging. i'd sit him unless you don't have anything else.
    I am having scary thoughts about a preseason opener in 90 degree heat where MJD runs for 200 yards, we get beat by about 20 points, and we lose both Clady and Moreno for half the season after re-aggravating their injuries.

I hope it is just preseason jitters.

Comment

• How much action does Eric Decker expect to see this year? I thought that was the Broncos best pick of the last draft & a guy who could hold down a starting role there.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
        How much action does Eric Decker expect to see this year? I thought that was the Broncos best pick of the last draft & a guy who could hold down a starting role there.
        It is a really excellent question. I dont think any of us really know how the receivers will get used early on, apart from Gaffney being there every down. The coaches seem willing to give Lloyd a chance, and Royal should start in the slot. Willis and Decker have been great in the preseason though. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of rotations until it sorts itself out.

Comment

• Good game y'all. Brandon Lloyd is a manbeast.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen
          <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

god ******* dammit. another season opener, another flight to new york. so glad i'm here in time to watch the bloody packers/eagles game, instead.

looks like our rushing game, outside of one carry by moreno, was still useless. looks like our linebackers were garbage (though they held mjd to <100, lewis looks like he ate them up in the red zone). but on the plus side, it looks like royal played a big part in the offense... orton looks to have played well?

anything i'm missing?
            that's pretty much the gist of it.

royal and ayers both looked better today than they did all of last season. our offensive line provided little push, not a huge surprise considering we had three guys starting their first ever game.

definitely a disappointing loss, especially since the things we struggled with today were the same things that stung us last season. i'm still pretty optimistic about the season. the running game should improve when we get harris back and as our young guys become better adjusted to playing at this level. i don't see us repeating a lot of the stupid **** we did either, e.g. buck's fumble, mcbean's two facemask calls within a minute of each other, quinn looking lost and forcing orton to waste a timeout...
            Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
            Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
              that's pretty much the gist of it.

royal and ayers both looked better today than they did all of last season. our offensive line provided little push, not a huge surprise considering we had three guys starting their first ever game.

definitely a disappointing loss, especially since the things we struggled with today were the same things that stung us last season. i'm still pretty optimistic about the season. the running game should improve when we get harris back and as our young guys become better adjusted to playing at this level. i don't see us repeating a lot of the stupid **** we did either, e.g. buck's fumble, mcbean's two facemask calls within a minute of each other, quinn looking lost and forcing orton to waste a timeout...
              Important aspects of the game

Opening drive:
              third and 1 at the Jags 18 - holding call on Beadles
              third and 11 - Orton sacked for -8 yards (line let everyone through)
              4th down - punt instead of FG because of the above.

third drive:
              second and 6 at the Jags 32 - Buck runs for 7 yards to get the first down and fumbles

Score was still 0-0 at this stage and we were totally dominating the game.

Jax had 4 scoring drives - 3 were set up by a punt or kickoff return that started their drive close to the halfway line, while the other one had two face masks to help them along the way. Most of our drives all day started inside our 30 (and a few inside the ten). Special teams were not special at all.

The defense was okay, but no turnovers and nowhere near enough pressure on Garrard (especially compared to what they got on Orton).

Orton looked awesome when he had time - the o-line leaked badly most of the game. Considering we were in the redzone 3 times with no points, we should have won this game.

Comment

• We're starting this season with a bad combination of injuries and rookies holding down starting jobs. The OL is the most impacted - 3 first time starters, Clady is still a work in progress, Harris is out and Kuper got dinged up again. Given that both our decent RB's also missed most of camp with injuries, it's a ******* miracle Moreno got the yards he did on the ground.

On defense, I'm concerned about Dawkins in the passing game. He looked bad out there at times. McBath could cover this responsibility, but of course he's injured. McBean's double facemask **** was unacceptable and IMO had a big impact on the outcome of the game. The DL as a whole needs to provide more pressure up front and play with discipline.

Special team coverage was hideous. As always. It's getting pretty ******* old.

The good: Orton (apart from the final series), WR's, Ayers, Prater

Comment

god ******* dammit. another season opener, another flight to new york. so glad i'm here in time to watch the bloody packers/eagles game, instead.

looks like our rushing game, outside of one carry by moreno, was still useless. looks like our linebackers were garbage (though they held mjd to <100, lewis looks like he ate them up in the red zone). but on the plus side, it looks like royal played a big part in the offense... orton looks to have played well?

anything i'm missing?
                  ^ at least we didn't win ^
                  now we can't have a late season collapse

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                    ^ at least we didn't win ^
                    now we can't have a late season collapse
                    We'll find a way...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Also I didn't get to watch, but I'm pretty sure I saw the one good run by Knowshon that he talked about. And damn is he slow. Like he looked like a high school RB. Zero explosion on that. WTF.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                        Also I didn't get to watch, but I'm pretty sure I saw the one good run by Knowshon that he talked about. And damn is he slow. Like he looked like a high school RB. Zero explosion on that. WTF.
                        This is sort of true, but in his defense there were never any actual holes for him to hit at full speed. It pretty much looked like he had to hesitate for a second when he got the ball to try and figure out where (if anywhere) a hole was going to open up. The ZBS was much better for backs to just hit holes at full speed.

I know njx wont believe me, but I thought DJ actually looked pretty good out there today. He did some nice things in coverage, showed good speed in limiting damage once the back got past the line, and even blew up MJD on the 4th and inches by actually anticipating where the play was going to be and getting there on time. It is refreshing to see that our top 4 tacklers were the 4 linebackers, as opposed to it normally being our safeties and corners leading the count. The only downside is Mario looks pretty slow out there, and cant cover for ****.

Comment

i don't *not* believe you, but i have a hard time believing you. =P
                          LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
                            LOL. I can confirm what Tim is saying - DJ played pretty well. He and Ayers were the bright spots on the defense.

As an aside, I went back and watching some parts of the game again and noticed that, at times, the defense had a hard time getting lined up. There seemed to be some confusion on who was supposed to go where, even on the part of savvy veterans like Dawkins. Working out that kind of stuff is the purpose of TC / preseason, but apparently between the slew of injuries and the extra rest given to the old timers, the D is still very much a work in progress.
                            Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
                              Did you see what happened on the first TD to Lewis (I think the first). The one where Vickerson ran off right before it was snapped? Did we have ten men on the field? It seemed like no-one on the defense had a clue what the **** was going on in that play.
                              yep, definitely had ten men on the field.

this is a team that, given the general lack of proven playmakers, can ill-afford to make those kinds of mistakes. hopefully there won't be too many games this season where we beat ourselves....otherwise it will be a long year
                              Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                              Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

i'm stoked to hear that our defense had no idea what was going on. it makes me really happy that we pushed nolan out. god forbid our players, after a major transition (43 to 34), have enough time in one version of the system to actually learn it.
                                As an aside, McD said that he would've run the 4-3 if there pieces were there, but since they had to start from pretty much scratch anyway, they chose to go with the 3-4.

It speaks volumes that at the end of Shanahan's tenure, we didn't have the personnel needed for *any* NFL defensive scheme. Simply mindboggling.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information