This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
    that being said, marvin austin may be the one guy that i want the least. the dude is the second coming of marcus thomas, and i have a gut feeling that we're going to take him. *knock on wood*
    I'm thinking Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson might be our DT in the second. Big guy, stout at the point, decent bull rusher, good instincts.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Martez Wilson. He strikes me as a John Fox LB - fast, athletic. If he slides to 46, he may end up a Bronco.

EFX have been clear that they aren't going to reach, so look for high talent selections even if the need and scheme fits seem somewhat dubious.

Comment

• Originally posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post

I'm just sayin!
      Maybe the current, jacked Urkel.

I can see the resemblance there. Urkel's chin is longer and narrower though.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• I know that the masses will be appalled at the lack of a DT so far in the draft - however, I actually think this is going well. Von Miller, Irving, DJ Williams as our LBs are a good fit for this type of defense, and Moore gives us a safety that can create turnovers. Add in a road-grader replacement for Harris, which is key considering we are going back to a run-first offense.

They will all be starters and suit the type of schemes we will be playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
          Which is exactly what Fox was talking about. S, MLB, SLB and one OL spot (RT or LG, depending on where they like Beadles best) were all positions where we lacked an obvious long term starter... and now they've all been solidly taken care of.

It will be interesting to see if there are some sleeper DT's they like tomorrow, or if they feel FA is the best way of addressing that position.

Comment

I know that the masses will be appalled at the lack of a DT so far in the draft - however, I actually think this is going well. Von Miller, Irving, DJ Williams as our LBs are a good fit for this type of defense, and Moore gives us a safety that can create turnovers. Add in a road-grader replacement for Harris, which is key considering we are going back to a run-first offense.

i'm very happy as well. i think franklin might play lg and we'll kick beadles out to rt, though.

fox talked about coming away with four day one starters with our first four picks, and it looks like that came to fruition.
            Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
            Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• Quotes from Fox basically said that he would have felt better if he could of got a DT he wanted, but they didnt fall. Also said there are some FA DTs available, a few prospects still to be had later in the draft, and that he felt we did currently have guys on the roster that could start.

How well would Ballard fit? Wonder if trading up to the start of the 4th for him is an option.

Comment

How well would Ballard fit? Wonder if trading up to the start of the 4th for him is an option.
                Anyone from the 4th on is a 3rd day pick for a reason; they won't be starting soon, nor will they ever likely make a huge impact. If were going to get our guy it will be next year or in FA.
                Personally, I'm sick of Chris Baker/Marcus Thomas prospects anyway, and wouldn't care to invest such a big responsibility/gap in a player who isn't that great. We made a mistake by not taking a DT, but weirdly enough, we got the best D player in the draft, and addressed 3 other big needs. Can't be too upset, and I guess it goes to show that this team had a huge amount of holes. It would be unreasonable to think we could plug them all in one half a draft anyway.
                Last edited by Jimmy; 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Initially, I was disappointed that we didn't take Dareus or Peterson. But seeing what the Broncos did in Day 2, their strategy makes sense. It seems like they did their homework.

By the way, are there any "notable" DT's in FA this year?

Projected win total: 55+

Comment

• I'm sorry, but failing to come away with any defensive lineman will end up being a huge mistake. I thought that was the strength of this draft.. Way to take advantage of that Denver.
                    Last edited by jCut; 04-30-2011, 02:07 PM.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• I really hope the Broncos are smart enough to not use Miller as a traditional SAM, and be used even more than a 3rd down rusher. If I'm the Broncos I'm basically going to run a 4-2, and then have Miller playing the edge on either side, so he can pursue/blitz every play, best use of his talent IMO. Asking him to drop into coverage and asking him to shed blocks in terms of the running game is ridiculous.
                      If we can sign Mebane I'll be happy, I think Thomas comes back but seriously why we didn't abuse the DT position in this years draft is beyond me.
                      Even in the second round...Paea and Austin not only filled our biggest needs, but they were arguably the BPAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                        I really hope the Broncos are smart enough to not use Miller as a traditional SAM, and be used even more than a 3rd down rusher. If I'm the Broncos I'm basically going to run a 4-2, and then have Miller playing the edge on either side, so he can pursue/blitz every play, best use of his talent IMO. Asking him to drop into coverage and asking him to shed blocks in terms of the running game is ridiculous.
                        If we can sign Mebane I'll be happy, I think Thomas comes back but seriously why we didn't abuse the DT position in this years draft is beyond me.
                        Even in the second round...Paea and Austin not only filled our biggest needs, but they were arguably the BPAs.
                        I understand the sentiment that Miller's "best" use is to blitz most plays - but he is fast, extremely agile and can tackle. Obviously at the senior bowl and combine he was convincing enough to Fox and co that he can handle the coverage aspect of the SAM. I dont mind the idea of him playing a more traditional SAM on first and second down, as he should end up pretty good at it and be able to make plays, and then have him playing end on third down.

Comment

• Originally posted by DBNYDP View Post
                          Who knows who was "BPA" according to the Broncos draft chart. It wasn't like those players were immediately snatched up by the next team. The Rams and Colts both needed interior DL and they chose instead to reinforce their offensive front lines following our selection of Franklin.

There are reasons not to like both Austin (attitude) and Paea (knee/size). Obviously those were bigger factors in the Broncos' evaluations than some fans would like.

Comment

• Things to look for today:

* There was a rumor last night that a RB the Broncos really like is still on the board, and that if he makes it to 108 then we'll take him for sure.

* I've also heard that Christian Ballard is on our radar.

* I can definitely see us using one of our 6th rounders to move up in round 4 or 5.

* As in days 1 and 2, the Broncos are sticking to their board so don't expect much in the way of reaching for need.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                              expecting a TE in 5/6.
                              there's your tight end.

i'm really loving this draft! it looks like we'll be addressing rb (williams?) and dt through free agency
                              Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                              Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

• i know everyone is calling Von Miller the next DT. he definitely looks the part so far. i imagine Elway still has nightmares about DT. that is a pretty good reason to draft Von. if a QB of Elways caliber feels that adding a top end pass rusher to the mix is a good way of disrupting the opposing offenses, then that's good enough for me. if Von turns out to be half as good as DT, he was worth the pick. if he turns into the next DT, then you guys will be finding room at New Mile High to drape the new Championship banners.

sick him after Rivers and whatever Raider trash QB they throw on the field. try and keep him off of Cassel. oh how things have changed. Chiefs #58 used to sack Broncos #7. now, Broncos #58 tries to sack Chiefs #7

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information