This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
    The expansion team's GMs took Daniel Graham and Marquand Manuel for their team. Losing Graham's big contract will free up some cap space, and Manuel wasn't exactly playing for vet minimum.
    What are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by rascal View Post
      What are you talking about?
      They are doing a fantasy off season with the addition of an expansion team.

Comment

• Yawn, oooooooh boy.
        Me and Keak Da Sneak were legendary.

Comment

• McDaniels new HC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

Comment

• Goodman interview

They had Jim Goodman on the Fan, and one of the interesting things he said was that they were "placing a high emphasis on heart, work ethic and smarts in the evaluation process" (or something to that effect). IMO, that bodes well and lines up with the thinking of our new HC quite nicely.

He also talked up Hillis and Woodyard... even saying Woodyard was considered a team leader by the veterans. Interesting stuff. I knew we were weak on leadership - glad to see some of the young guys bringing that missing ingredient to the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
              free agency expectations (wishing we'll sign haynesworth, peppers and suggs is not, imo, realistic)?
              Veteran NT - doesn't have to be flashy (say, Gabe Watson?). A decent S would also really help.

draft wants given a likely 3-4 shift?
              Priority will be NT, OLB, S... in whatever order provides the most value. CB is a darkhorse as well, with Bly making too much money and Champ lined up for a big payday once his contract is up despite his ongoing injury problems.

The ILB spots will likely be manned by the members of our existing LB corps who survive the purge (DJ, Woodyard, Larsen?). Similarly, I expect the DE spots to be manned by our existing DT's (Thomas, Peterson).

i've very much soured on chris wells after watching more tape, and i've strongly disliked moreno all season. any other thoughts on a running back, someplace?
              I think our 3rd rounder would be a good spot start looking for a RB. Some of those 2nd-4th range guys actually fit the "one-cut-and-go" philosophy pretty well... and the retention of Dennison as OL coach indicates we may very well stick with that approach.

Looking at the FA's, Derrick Ward from the Giants might be a decent fit.

Comment

• Chris Wells

I don't know why some predict the Broncos will draft Wells. He has injury problems, and we had 7 RB's on IR last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by RJB View Post
                  I don't know why some predict the Broncos will draft Wells. He has injury problems, and we had 7 RB's on IR last season.
                  It's all the the translation from big board to mock draft. If you think Wells is a top 10 talent (which many do, though I don't share that opinion), then you start looking at the needs of teams in the top half of the draft order to get a fit. By the time you hit Denver at 12, Wells has value and addresses a need... which makes it a seemingly easy pick.

However, "value" + "need" doesn't necessarily equal "fit". Wells hasn't proven himself to be a pass catcher (a big minus with Jay at QB), he doesn't hit the hole decisively (which is a no-no in a zone scheme) and the durability issues you point to are very discouraging after a year where you had a half-dozen backs out injured.

Comment

• The first day of the Expansion Mock Draft is over. I flaked out on FA cuz I've been busy, but I've been making trades to bring in guys and more drafts picks.

1st RD: No one was there at 13th overall, so I traded back with Dallas. Got picks 26th ovrall, 71st ovrall, 117th ovrall, and Marcus Spears. At pick #26, I chose James Laurinaitis to play ILB in the 3-4 scheme.

2nd RD: I ended up with two 2nd RD picks. Traded DJ Williams and Denver's 3rd RD'er for Portland's (the expansion team) 36th ovrall pick in the 2nd RD. At that spot, I took Rashad Johnson. With Denver's 2nd RD pick, I chose Sean Smith.

I also traded for Robert Geathers, Chike Okeafor, and Alan Branch. Traded Elvis Dumerville and Tim Crowder for Geathers and Cincy's 4th RD pick. Traded the 117th ovrall pick for both Okeafor and Branch. Geathers and Okeafor are OLB's, and Branch is depth at DE.

Has Denver's official DC been named yet?
                    Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                    Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

• Mike Nolan is our DC.

Comment

• One safety that I wish we would look at (doubt we take a safety in the first round) is David Bruton.

Get a FA safety and a decent prospect such as David and I'd be content for that position.

Comment

• Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                            Can anyone here tell me anything about Larry Coyer? From what I read about him, his tenure as Broncos DC was pretty positive. Did he get fired or move on to the position he was in? If he was fired, why? I ask because he's likely to be the Colts new DC. Link
                            Larry Coyer was fired at the end of the 2006 season. Coyer was one of two fall guys (Jake Plummer was the other) for a season gone sour. Like many others, that season started well with his defensive unit setting records (no TD for the first 11 quarters, IIRC) then everything came crashing down and the second half of the season was punctuated with ugly losses. Interestingly, it was also the start of the crisis at safety (due to injuries) that still remains unresolved.

Coyer had made it known that some tough (personnel) changes needed to be made to fix the problems that had emerged in the second half of the season... but apparently Shanahan didn't like what he heard. Coyer was clearly shaken by his dismissal from the organization that had become like family to him.

Unfortunately, the worst parts of Coyer's 2006 scheme (bend-but-don't break, no blitzing) lived on for another two years without addressing any of the problems. Thanks, Shanahan... you ******* asshole.

Comment

i intensely hated coyer that season until it apparently came out (though i can't find the story now) that shanahan didn't want to blitz anymore and wanted to get pressure while rushing only 4 players.
                              Yes, Coyer's preference was to mix in a fair amount of blitzing, like we did in 2005. 2006 represented the "Shanahan defense" we've all learned to hate, however, Coyer made it work for half a season and I believe if he was given a chance, he could've made the adjustments needed to build a reliable D.

we also began inexplicably playing lynch in deep pass coverage instead of near the LOS.
                              Ferguson got hurt and was never the same player again - Sam Brandon got hurt and never returned to football. Our safety corps was shredded at a time when Shanahan was deathly afraid of getting beaten by the medium-long pass. Hence Lynch playing centerfield. Stupidity.
                              Last edited by Diehard; 01-22-2009, 02:36 AM.

Comment

i'm liking raji more and more.
                                I am happy that you are liking him more and more. I have seen him play at BC several times and I think he would be a great fit for Denver. Imagine a decent DT prospect that might actually do something in Denver.

Crazy thought. :)
                                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information