This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diehard View Post
    Davis - can't cover, has no range and wore down towards the end of the year.

3 possibilities come to mind:

1. Uncapped season abuse - cut him, then resign him for less at no penalty.

2. Kirk Morrison - he's available and Martindale is his old coach

3. BMarsh - trade is in the works, and we're getting a LB in return

I don't think this can be about the draft. Either the team has someone they like on the roster already or they're bringing in an established player via FA/trade.
    You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by rascal View Post
      You don't cut your #2 ILB (especially in a 3-4) before you have somebody to replace him. If the other team backs out, or you can't get Morrison, then you are screwed. His cap # is less than 2 mil...not much savings in releasing him and then signing him back. Especially when you have Jarvis Moss or Chrissy Simms on your roster.
      Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbathia View Post
        Perhaps wink thinks that haggan can move inside, or that larsen (run downs) and woodyard (passing downs) can hold the fort down if necessary.
        that is a huge risk to assume that your former OLB, who was average anyway, can move to ILB, and two guys who has never played ILB in a 3-4 in the NFL can somehow produce. At the cost of less than 2 mil a year...that doesn't make any sense.

Now if they somehow trade Marshall for Harris and change, fine, but you release Davis after the trade. Not before.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
          meant to mention... is there some reason moss is still wasting money and roster space?
          Good question - has anyone paid attention to how he has done on special teams?

or maybe he has shown enough in practice that he could be productive in Dooms role if Doom ever got hurt.

Comment

• I think Larsen and Woodyard can do the job Davis did. Easily. But, that ain't saying much. I thought Davis was terrible the second half of the season.

As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by jCut View Post
              As far as McClain is concerned, I think he's the pick unless Bradford or Clausen fall. If he's gone, I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.
              Everything I've read/heard indicates they won't draft like that (i.e. lock in on a position). They have the guys they like and position is more relevant to how they fit the scheme and the inherent positional value.

Comment

• I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

I think Weatherspoon would be a fine consolation prize. He's not far behind McClain, in my opinion.
                  Agreed. Wouldn't be the worst pick in the world to get him here. Certainly I'd rather have McClain. I honestly wouldn't mind reaching on Iupati at #11. Preferably I'd like to trade down, but still... He's one of my 5 "locks to be a pro=bowler" type guys. I honestly see him ending his career with several pro-bowls and hall of fame consideration. Honestly, it's just a large hunch, but I would not be upset at all to get that guy, even if it was a reach. At least we can be sure that were getting a good player and not another Middlebrooks,Moss, Smith, Lelie type player.

here are the other guys I think are surefire locks to be good-

1) Mike Iupati

2) Jermaine Gresham

3) Eric Berry-

4) Rolando McClain

5) Ryan Matthews

Originally had Earl Thomas on this list. I think he'll be good, I just realized the Mayock kool-aid was probably the reason I was so influenced.
                  Last edited by Jimmy; 03-13-2010, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind Iupati either, depending on who's still on the board. He seems like a perfect fit for our new "power-run-blocking" scheme.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

I'm not insinuating that they will lock onto one position. Like I said, if either Bradford or Clausen fall, they will represent great value and will also be good fits in our scheme. If not, both McClain and Weatherspoon are also good fits and good value. I don't see us reaching for a Dan Williams or a Jared Odrick. And I also don't think we'll take a chance on any headcases (i.e. Dez Bryant or Terrence Cody). I've already stated that my opinion is that we won't take a DB early. Regardless, I don't think a guy like Eric Berry or Joe Haden will fall to us.
                      I agree about both QBs, but do you think Weatherspoon can play inside? If not, it wouldn't be wise to take another outside linebacker in the first round when we took Ayers last year. And if we end up losing Marshall do you think we should consider using one first rounder on Dez Bryant?

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverHerbsman View Post
                        I agree about both QBs, but do you think Weatherspoon can play inside? If not, it wouldn't be wise to take another outside linebacker in the first round when we took Ayers last year. And if we end up losing Marshall do you think we should consider using one first rounder on Dez Bryant?
                        Yeah, I definitely think Weatherspoon can play inside. And I like Dez Bryant's game, I just don't think think he's a "McDaniels-guy".

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• broncos trade Hillis and two conditional picks to the browns for Brady Quinn.

I'm guessing that this means we won't be targeting Claussen in the draft. I'm down with that, rather Orton and Quinn are down with that.

In other news the Broncos now lead the league in **** bitting and **** grabbing.

ugh.

Comment

• I really like this trade. McDaniels' personal vendetta against Hillis insured that he was never going to get a fair shot. So he swapped him for Quinn, who I think could blossom here. I have always been a fan of his.

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Quinn could be great in McD's system, should be interesting.

Hopefully Hillis gets a chance to play in Cleveland and I hope he tears it up.

Comment

• I think it's pessimistic (one of my favorite things to be) to say that this trade was god awful. What are we likely loosing? A runningback who would have gotten less than 10 carries, and a few late round developmental picks that won't impact our team for years. Worst case scenario, this impacts almost in no form/way at all, and were the same team we were. There is pretty much only upside to it. Even if Hillis runs for 1,000 yards, which he won't... What would he have done with us? Nada. Let's give this "god-awful" quarterback a chance. He's not any worse than he was 2 years ago, so lets give him 2 years.
                                Last edited by Jimmy; 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information