Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would the Broncos select CJ Spiller when they already spent a 1st round pick last year on an elite running back (Moreno)??

At most, they need a big thumper RB in the 2nd or 3rd round to complement Moreno.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
      Why would the Broncos select CJ Spiller when they already spent a 1st round pick last year on an elite running back (Moreno)??
      While there are a number of picks that would make more sense, I wouldn't discount Spiller as a possibility. I think he'd be drafted more as a returner and receiver than running back. Great intangibles, very dangerous with the ball in his hands... there's a lot to like. There's no question that the Broncos need more guys who can make big plays.

All that being said, I can only see this happening if they feel Spiller is clearly the BPA at their pick.

At most, they need a big thumper RB in the 2nd or 3rd round to complement Moreno.
      Yes, I think a power back is something McD would like to add to the mix (hence the workouts for Hardesty and Gerhart).

Comment

• My only issue with picking Spiller is we'd still need to pick a power back regardless. Two picks on a position where we already have Moreno and Buckhalter?

WELCOME REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by jCut View Post
          My only issue with picking Spiller is we'd still need to pick a power back regardless. Two picks on a position where we already have Moreno and Buckhalter?
          No way it happens, although I agree it would be nice.

I think in the first round we need to come away with one of:

McClain, Bryant, Weatherspoon or Pouncey.

Yes, I have softened on picking Bryant, however, if we dont get a starting interior o-lineman and a starting ilb from the draft after taking him in the first, then I reserve the right to start hating the pick again.

Comment

• The thing that I don't understand is why people are even talking about RBs in the first place.

Moreno is an elite workhorse back - I mean, you're probably set @ RB for the next 5+ years with Moreno alone.

Comment

The thing that I don't understand is why people are even talking about RBs in the first place.

Moreno is an elite workhorse back - I mean, you're probably set @ RB for the next 5+ years with Moreno alone.
              Look under Njx's name.

Anyway saw this from Daniel Jeremiah today so I thought I would pass along some good news for Denver fans.

RT @SenorDickhaus: which is better, Okung or Clady as a rookie?> Clady is the best LT in football... not close
              Trust me, I love Joe Thomas as a player and a person... Big time talent but Clady is a better point of attack run blocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Stranger View Post
                Look under Njx's name.

Anyway saw this from Daniel Jeremiah today so I thought I would pass along some good news for Denver fans.
                I already knew that Clady rocked - I am just worried about the 4 guys immediately to his right.

Comment

• Scheffler Traded to Detroit for a 5th

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5113415

:/

Would have loved to get a 3 or a 4 for the guy... oh well...
                  There goes the class of '06.
                  I think Stafford will develop nicely at this point

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                    Scheffler Traded to Detroit for a 5th

So lame. So so lame.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                      Scheffler Traded to Detroit for a 5th

I look at it this way, McDaniels is out of excuses now. He has moved all the players that he had problems with or didnt think fit his system. He has had plenty of time to look at this years draft class and has had two free agency periods. This is also the second year of a lot of players in his system, so the learning the system excuse is rapidly disappearing.

If we look like **** this year, then he will have some explaining to do.

Comment

• So the Broncos have been reduced to Kyle Orton / Brady Quinn throwing to... Eddie Royal?

Interesting direction to take, I guess. If I were a Broncos fan, I'd be praying that McDaniels knows what the hell he is doing.

Comment

So the Broncos have been reduced to Kyle Orton / Brady Quinn throwing to... Eddie Royal?

Interesting direction to take, I guess. If I were a Broncos fan, I'd be praying that McDaniels knows what the hell he is doing.
                          Scheffler can't/won't block and dogged it last year. McD wants his TE's to be inline blockers and won't tolerate that kind of pissy attitude. It was inevitable Scheffler would be shipped out.

Comment

• Repost from the Pro Football forum. Interesting article with information from Marshall's agent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14907098

Some key pieces:

The genesis of Marshall's misconduct at training camp was his disappointment over the multiyear contract the Broncos had just presented him. While the offer was worth potentially $9.5 million a year, it had a below-market guarantee and several safeguards to protect the club if Marshall got into further trouble.
                            We tried to sign him.

The Broncos would have gladly taken that No. 29 pick. The Jets, though, could not come up with a long-term contract that satisfied Marshall. There was no sense submitting an offer sheet if Marshall wasn't going to sign long term.
                            The Jets tried to sign him too.

When Marshall signed his tender last Tuesday, McGuire knew he would soon have a deal completed with one of three teams — Tampa Bay, Seattle or Miami.
                            All teams who really need help at WR.

Seattle's bid, however, was ultimately doomed by its trade last month for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. To get him, Seattle swapped its No. 40 overall pick with San Diego's No. 60 pick. The Broncos were not going to accept the Chargers' discarded pick as the jewel to their trade package.
                            This is a bit of a headscratcher. Seattle was after Marshall right from the start, but they didn't want to part with a first rounder and didn't keep enough other ammo to get the deal done. Seems like poor planning.

Comment

• I'm almost positive we will draft a receiver between 5'11 and 6'2 with our 2nd pick.

I'm afraid we may look at a guy like Benn, or Pouncey 1st round (colossal reaches) but if we don't... in the 2nd I have this gut wrenching feeling we will go the WR route. (pun intended) The reason it is gut wrenching is because

1. I don't think McDaniels will go the Speedy/Athletic route. We have a guy like that in Royal and I don't think he really appreciates that type of player enough. Why draft a Royal Jr. when McD already said he has plans to increase Eddie's involvement? He won't draft a guy like Royal.

2. He wont go to the opposite end of the spectrum and draft a large guy above 6'2. Why? He doesn't want to draw attention for trying "to replace B. Marsh."
                              By taking a guy above 6'2/3, I bet a lot of people would automatically assume he plans to use that player in the same manner. There would be too much comparison, and the task that player would have to fill large shoes.

This means that we will take a guy that most likely isn't great at any one thing. He won't be a burner, and he won't have great size. He'll be a "player." A guy that goes out and just gets the job done. This guy wont be very exciting on paper on or film, and hteere will be a lot of questions about his potential.

Look for guys like Lafell, Decker (6'3), or Damian Williams to go here.

I personally think Williams is a Bronco come draft day.
                              Last edited by Jimmy; 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• You are right, McD won't draft a guy like Royal. Consider the problems Royal had this year:

1. He did not have a good grasp of the offense

The slot guy exploits the holes opened up by the other patterns, and as such must have a very good understanding of the offense. Reading the coverage, finding the hole, running the correct route - these are "must do" for the slot guy... and hence why Eddie didn't work the slot much last year.

2. He had a hard time beating the jam / getting seperation

Getting jammed kills the effectiveness of the outside receivers in this offense. They need to get downfield in a hurry to stretch the defense and draw off the safety to open things up underneath.

Whoever we draft is going to address one of these requirements (or both). I think Damian Williams would be a fine slot WR. Eric Decker is another one that comes to mind. Benn or LaFell could come in and handle one of the outside spots, as they are both able to get off the line quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information