Derrick Harvey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derrick Harvey

I've become pretty intrigued with Derrick Harvey as a 1st rd pick lately. I know Scott does not have a scouting report up yet and have read some others and he seems to be the ideal RE for a cover 2, but I have very little experience in watching him play. I know he only has 2 years of very good production, but what intrigues the most is he only started to play football his junior year in highschool according to one report I read. I just figure getting him into an NFL program to gain some strength and hopefully retain his speed. Then have him get coached up so he can learn better technique. Because plain and simple Harvey can get at the QB and that is definitely what the Lions need.

eh.... good for you?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Strengths:

Overall, he's a better prospect than Jarvis Moss (who was selected in the first round by Denver in 2007). He can play the 4-3 rush end or even bulk up to play the 3-4 end (he has the frame to handle it). He has a good first step and can quickly gain the edge agaisnt the tackles. He can drop his shoulder to turn the corner and get to the QB. He has an impressive wingspan and can still be disruptive even when he's unable to get to the QB. As a run defender, he's not particularly stout at the LOS, but he shows good ability to track the RB down the line and has good pursuit skills.

Weaknesses

Like most players coming out of college, he'll need to continue to add functional strength for the next level. He'll need to be stronger at the point of attack against the run. He has trouble disengaging from blocks once he's tied up. While he's quick, he lacks the elite explosiveness that Jarvis Moss possessed at Florida. He's gotten by with speed and athleticism at Florida, but in the NFL he'll need to develop some more pass-rush moves and learn to use his hands better.

Comment

I'm not too into Harvey at 15, could be great but I think we have much more pressing needs in the first.

unless we can grab another 1st (#22, please god) when we can take him and another player (Stewart/Mendenhall, DCR etc)

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Comment

I'm not so sure Harvey will be there honestly.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Originally posted by wingboy2999 View Post
            I'm not so sure Harvey will be there honestly.
            I also think we will be very lucky if Harvey is still on the board at #15. A lot of gurus have him going top 12. He's perfect for a Cover 2 team as a DE or a 3-4 team as an OLB so there will be a lot of competition for his services and I think he's gone before we pick.
            And proud of it!!!

Comment

As noted by my sig, I'm very on board with Harvey becoming a Lion. He may not be the total package DE that Chris Long is, but he is so much better at getting to the QB than any other DE we have or could acquire. Fingers crossed in late April...

Comment

I actually really like Quentin Groves also. He is really fast and can definitely get at the QB too. I would love to have 2 1st and go QB and pass rushing DE with the 2 1st.

Comment

There is options in Round 1 or Round 2. It really is how everything falls come draft day. But yes, I think D is our #1 need so we gotta address it. If we end up trading Roy then we can take a RB with whatever pick we get for him.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08

Comment

Personally, I am not a fan of Harvey. Could someone explain to me why people are high on this guy? Everyone says he's a great pass rusher, and gets to the QB so well, but he's never had double digit sacks in a season. Last year he had 8 sacks, and I think 3 of those came against a DII team. He's tall, but not really that big. He's not overly strong, or fast. He's not all that great against the run. I just don't see the love that Harvey gets being justified.

EDIT:Florida actually credits him with 11 sacks as a soph, but I was going by Scott's stats. Regardless, I don't see anything that makes me want him at 15.
                    Last edited by ironman4579; 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM.

Originally posted by Jakey
                    WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                      Personally, I am not a fan of Harvey. Could someone explain to me why people are high on this guy? Everyone says he's a great pass rusher, and gets to the QB so well, but he's never had double digit sacks in a season. Last year he had 8 sacks, and I think 3 of those came against a DII team. He's tall, but not really that big. He's not overly strong, or fast. He's not all that great against the run. I just don't see the love that Harvey gets being justified.
                      It's all about pressure, we need pressure. Lots of it.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                        It's all about pressure, we need pressure. Lots of it.
                        I agree we need pressure, but how much pressure does Harvey bring? He was only credited with 3 QBH's this year as well(although the QBH stat is always messed up. I've seen games with the QB under pressure the whole game and no one gets credited with a QBH at all). He got great pressure in the NCG, but it seemed like that was mostly against OSU's RT, not LT. He did basically nothing against Jake Long, the guy that people seem to think won't be able to play LT at the next level(although I completely disagree). He did almost nothing against Chris Williams this year either. To me he's a guy living off the NCG against OSU right now. I just don't see anything about this guy that says "We must have this guy at #15."

Originally posted by Jakey
                        WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
                          I agree we need pressure, but how much pressure does Harvey bring? He was only credited with 3 QBH's this year as well(although the QBH stat is always messed up. I've seen games with the QB under pressure the whole game and no one gets credited with a QBH at all). He got great pressure in the NCG, but it seemed like that was mostly against OSU's RT, not LT. He did basically nothing against Jake Long, the guy that people seem to think won't be able to play LT at the next level(although I completely disagree). He did almost nothing against Chris Williams this year either. To me he's a guy living off the NCG against OSU right now. I just don't see anything about this guy that says "We must have this guy at #15."
                          I agree the hype of him being a must-have player is a bit too much. Almost like we don't have any other holes to fill.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

Well quick question to the Harvey doubters: Do you really think that Jared DeVries or Hawaii Five-O are going to be able to shore up that spot that Kalimba so diligently held down? My answer: hell no. The Giants showed just how much of an importance a pass rush needs to be placed on a defense. I guarantee you that despite the superb season the Colts had the year before that they would have won it had they not had Dwight Freeney. Everything we do in this stupid Tampa 2 is predicated around the pass rush. Dewayne White is adept at stopping the run which kinda makes up for not having an efficient olb behind him. (E Sims was on the other side). He may not be the 15th best player overall, but he is the best pure pass rusher in the draft and one that fits well into our defensive schemes.

Comment

I meant to say the Colts wouldn't have won it without Dwight Freeney, my bad...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information