2009 Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Draft Discussion

Just for fun throw a prospect you wouldn't mind seeing in a Lions uniform for next years draft.

I'm gona go with Matthew Stafford from GA. I don't know why but I like him a lot as a QB, and think he could have the potential to be special. Kinda reminds me of Favre like skills. Not comparing to two, just saying.

rey maualuga, michael johnson. one of those would be sweet.
    SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
    Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Oh god. haha.

Theres a nice group of LTs out there. I wouldn't rule out a first round RB. Kevin Smith is just a third rounder and this is a two back league.

Honestly the only positions I don't think we could go with in first round are

WLB
      MLB
      UT
      RT
      WR

I want to almost put DE, but I won't.

Comment

I was intrigued by LT Michael Oher out of Ol' Miss after reading the book Blindside .... the only forseeable way to scoop him up is via trade (and don't say trade Roy) or go 2-14 b/c he'll be the Jake Long of 2009's draft. I will follow his career wherever he goes, that book blew me away, what a story that kid has!

Jame Larinitas (sp?) would work for me. Sims & Dizon with Larinitas in the middle would give teams plenty of fits!

Comment

Rey Maualuga.. Michael Johnson.. Michael Oher..

I'd also love to see big Herman Johnson in a Lions uniform.
          Last edited by WMD; 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I think a corner (Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis) or maybe a 300lb+ DT (Demarcus Granger)

Comment

Todd McShay posted his 2009 mock draft and using a formula he has the Lions drafting 2nd and taking Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech. An interesting side note is that 3 of the top 5 were DTs with the other 2 being Johnson and Matt Stafford.

Comment

I would love to get Oher or another top OT the most. Book end tackles would do wonders for our team for the future.
                R.I.P. L.E.F.
                "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                  I would love to get Oher or another top OT the most. Book end tackles would do wonders for our team for the future.
                  I agree completely and wish we would have gotten that on Saturday, but here's to next year.

Comment

Heading into the Season, I'd list our needs as:

OT- Jeff Backus is getting paid a lot of money and just isn't producing like he should. I'll throw it out there, I think he could be cut if we have a bad year. Look for one high. I'm talking Michael Oher, people. If we're a little lower, Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe. Right now, I'm not sure who is best fit for our Zone Blocking system, but LT could be a huge need come April.

DE- Dewayne White is solid enough, but everyone else that we have are probably best fit as rotational guys. Could go for one high, I'm thinking Michael Johnson if he has a productive year. Another guy I'd like if it weren't for injury concerns is Greg Hardy from Ole Miss.

LB- As long as Paris Lenon is starting, we're going to need a Linebacker. Dizon should get either the Middle or Strong Side, so whatever we have left after Ernie and Dizon should be filled. If it's MLB, we should look for one high. SLB can be filled in Rounds 2 or 3. Would love to see Rey Maualuga for the MLB spot but I'm not sure how good of a fit he is for the Tampa 2.

CB- All we have is Leigh Bodden, basically. I want Vontae Davis. I think he's my favorite going into the 2009 Season. That's all I have to say about that. Vontae, baby!

RB- Kevin Smith looks solid enough. I think if we want our running game to be truly effective, we need a speedy RB to compliment Smith. Tatum Bell probably won't be here next year, or could even be cut before this season. CJ Spiller is my guy for the spot.

QB- This one I'm not so sure about. I think if we're high enough (in the draft, not on drugs) we could go for one. Drew Stanton injured his knee last year and his thumb this year.. He's only going to be out for a few weeks, but the injury bug is definitely fond of Stanton. Kitna only has a year or two left in the tank, so if they aren't sold on Stanton 100% and we're in position for a "Franchise" signal caller at the top of the draft, I could see it happening.

Comment

I only see 4 priorities for the Lions. I'm assuming we will be drafting pretty high as I expect little from this current team.

Priorities:

1) We have not had a franchise QB since Layne some 50+ years ago and that is the last time we won a playoff game. See any correlation. Well I do, and for me that will also be the Lion's top priority till the problem has been rectified.

2) We haven't had a franchise DE since Marinelli brought the Cover 2 defense to Detroit, in fact I don't think Mornhinweg or Mooch had one either. The DE position in most defenses is a top priority and especially in a Cover 2 defense where it is the #1 priority. Until this position is solved Marinelli's defense will always rank at or near the bottom of the league.

3) I'm not sold on Smith being our solution at RB and if he isn't we need desperately to find a franchise RB to make this offense work.

4) I'm not a believer in Dizon as our solution at MLB, he has yet to prove to me he can even be a starter in this league at any LB position. We need to find a MLB who can be a dominate player.

For me drafting any other positions before these 4 crucial positions are solved is simply dooming Detroit for another long run as a bottom feeder with little hope for success.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                        I only see 4 priorities for the Lions. I'm assuming we will be drafting pretty high as I expect little from this current team.

Priorities:

1) We have not had a franchise QB since Layne some 50+ years ago and that is the last time we won a playoff game. See any correlation. Well I do, and for me that will also be the Lion's top priority till the problem has been rectified.

2) We haven't had a franchise DE since Marinelli brought the Cover 2 defense to Detroit, in fact I don't think Mornhinweg or Mooch had one either. The DE position in most defenses is a top priority and especially in a Cover 2 defense where it is the #1 priority. Until this position is solved Marinelli's defense will always rank at or near the bottom of the league.

3) I'm not sold on Smith being our solution at RB and if he isn't we need desperately to find a franchise RB to make this offense work.

4) I'm not a believer in Dizon as our solution at MLB, he has yet to prove to me he can even be a starter in this league at any LB position. We need to find a MLB who can be a dominate player.

For me drafting any other positions before these 4 crucial positions are solved is simply dooming Detroit for another long run as a bottom feeder with little hope for success.
                        wow dude, apart from DE all those positions have been adressed. You can't write people off before they've even played a snap. Smith for one has looked well and Stanton deserves at least a fair chance. Cheer up.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

We need improved play from the offensive guards as well. And I would rank that ahead of RB. Behind a good offensive line, any RB can look pretty decent.
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.
                          "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
                            We need improved play from the offensive guards as well. And I would rank that ahead of RB. Behind a good offensive line, any RB can look pretty decent.
                            I want Herman Johnson. He's a monster.. I don't know if he'd be a good fit for our scheme, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                              wow dude, apart from DE all those positions have been adressed. You can't write people off before they've even played a snap. Smith for one has looked well and Stanton deserves at least a fair chance. Cheer up.
                              I have no doubt that we will stick with Stanton just like we stuck with Harrington when Roethlisberger was available. That's the Detroit Lions for the last 50+ years.

I don't see a feature RB in Smith. He'll be alright but nothing special IMO. Yes, he had a 35 yard run in his last game but what about the other 10 carries leading up to that run. One successful run out of 11 carries isn't going to cut it for a team that wants to pound the ball. Anyways we'll know by next year's draft whether or not Smith has met muster as our RB. If he has then indeed cross him off the list, but a team like Detroit should never cross off a potential franchise QB or didn't you read Scott Wright's article on 2nd and 3rd round drafted QB's.
                              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information