Official Free Agency Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
    If they go with Culpepper and Grossman and ignore QB then I will be very upset.

If its Culpepper or Grossman, depends on the price but Culpepper does know Linehans offense. Grossman would be for mutliple years though. Probably 2-3. Actually, multipe years is actually a bad thing for both these QBs to be on your roster.
    I can definitely agree with your first comment.

Grossman had a 1-year deal last year to stay with the Bears and didnt really improve his stock. I dont think it would take much to bring him here. I could see 2 years, but I dont think it would require more and depending on the market it could be 1 year.

But again,... lets hope it doesn't come to Sexy Rexy.

Comment

I agree. My ideal Qbs for next year would have been Orlovsky-Stanton-Stafford.
      Orlovsky and Stanton battle for the starting job. That goes on for about 10 games or so and then go you with Stafford.

Culpepper does have immense immense potential though. If he is ever able to make it back to even half the player he was we could have a damn good quarterback. If I was going choose a breakout player next year my dark horse would be Culpepper.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
        I agree. My ideal Qbs for next year would have been Orlovsky-Stanton-Stafford.
        Orlovsky and Stanton battle for the starting job. That goes on for about 10 games or so and then go you with Stafford.

Culpepper does have immense immense potential though. If he is ever able to make it back to even half the player he was we could have a damn good quarterback. If I was going choose a breakout player next year my dark horse would be Culpepper.
        my problem with Orl-Stan-Staff is that there is really no veteran and two rookies. It looks like some QB staff I would create in Madden. Ideally I think it would be good to get one vet instead of either Orlovsky or Stanton... someone we could project holding down the fort for a full season. I'd rather see Culpepper or some vet. I would love to have Leftwich if they could sign him and if he could stay healthy: two unlikely ifs.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
          my problem with Orl-Stan-Staff is that there is really no veteran and two rookies. It looks like some QB staff I would create in Madden. Ideally I think it would be good to get one vet instead of either Orlovsky or Stanton... someone we could project holding down the fort for a full season. I'd rather see Culpepper or some vet. I would love to have Leftwich if they could sign him and if he could stay healthy: two unlikely ifs.
          But this is Orlovskys what now fourth or fifth year in the league? He was much more promising in his starts. Stanton is now in his third year I know. Pull the leashes off these guys.

Comment

So if we don't get Haynesworth, who else do you guys like at DT? I'm thinking Rocky Bernard might be the next best.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a year of Grady Jackson.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a year of Grady Jackson.
                Thats the other guy I thought of too, but he has a lot of miles on that belly. He's 36 now.

Comment

Originally posted by tblain1 View Post
                  Thats the other guy I thought of too, but he has a lot of miles on that belly. He's 36 now.
                  Yeah definitely not the ideal pick up, but could be a nice boost to our run defense in the short tern.

Comment

DT, I think we should look at Ron Brace. I'd also look at Tank Johnson and if healthy Marcus Tubbs as a darkhorse. Anything is better than Chuck Darby.

Comment

DT, I think we should look at Ron Brace. I'd also look at Tank Johnson and if healthy Marcus Tubbs as a darkhorse. Anything is better than Chuck Darby.
                      Ron Brace is one of my favorite prospects in this draft and would have little objection of taking him at 33. Maybe move down a couple slots because every year potential first rounders fall to the top of the second. But if you draft a corner at 20 and then a stud NT like Brace at 33 I think that'd be a great start. Chuck Darby was a major disappointment.

What Martz/Marinelli cast-offs were actually good pick ups? Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey and ....?

What a joke was that Pearson signing, my god. Should have released him right after that domestic dispute mess.

Comment

Ron Brace is one of my favorite prospects in this draft and would have little objection of taking him at 33. Maybe move down a couple slots because every year potential first rounders fall to the top of the second. But if you draft a corner at 20 and then a stud NT like Brace at 33 I think that'd be a great start. Chuck Darby was a major disappointment.

What Martz/Marinelli cast-offs were actually good pick ups? Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey and ....?

What a joke was that Pearson signing, my god. Should have released him right after that domestic dispute mess.
                        DeWayne White is decent in the first half of seasons. He disappears in the second half it seems. Furrey and McDonald are useless without Martz. We found that out last year.

Yes Pearson is only a special teamer and a horrible starter. He wasn't meant to play alot. Dwight Smith stunk and got hurt and Alexander got hurt. No what's sick, that Pearson made what Bullocks and Alexander made combined. Those 2 need to really step up this year in Bullocks and Alexander. Bullocks can tackle but can't cover and Alexander is coming off an injury(Millen 2nd round injury curse in year 2 Bailey,Lehman,Cody,Bullocks,Stanton/Alexander).

Darby was the biggest blunder in hindsight the Lions ever made under Marinelli IMO because it meant giving away Rogers for nothing. Forever I will hate Marinelli for this, it's not even Millens fault. Rogers and Mike Martz was the difference between 7-9 and 0-16.

Comment

DeWayne White is decent in the first half of seasons. He disappears in the second half it seems. Furrey and McDonald are useless without Martz. We found that out last year.

Yes Pearson is only a special teamer and a horrible starter. He wasn't meant to play alot. Dwight Smith stunk and got hurt and Alexander got hurt. No what's sick, that Pearson made what Bullocks and Alexander made combined. Those 2 need to really step up this year in Bullocks and Alexander. Bullocks can tackle but can't cover and Alexander is coming off an injury(Millen 2nd round injury curse in year 2 Bailey,Lehman,Cody,Bullocks,Stanton/Alexander).

Darby was the biggest blunder in hindsight the Lions ever made under Marinelli IMO because it meant giving away Rogers for nothing. Forever I will hate Marinelli for this, it's not even Millens fault. Rogers and Mike Martz was the difference between 7-9 and 0-16.
                          AhhH Dewayne White slipped my mind, I really like him as a player. You are right that this is big year for Bullocks and Alexander. We really need them to step up or we need to find two more safeties. Depending on how free agency shakes out I've had thoughts of Louis Delmas running through my mind.

Honestly I always thought Martz should have been the head coach Rod the defensive co-ordinator. Martz would have found a way to get Kurt Warner here. Especially now when he's a free agent.

Comment

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ying_to_s.html

Trying to get a corner. Lito Sheppard, Shawntae Spencer, Stanford Routt and Carlos Rogers are the targets.

Comment

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ying_to_s.html

Trying to get a corner. Lito Sheppard, Shawntae Spencer, Stanford Routt and Carlos Rogers are the targets.
                              Rough estimates of cost

Shawntae Spencer - 3rd
                              Lito sheppard - 3rd
                              Routt - 4th-5th
                              Rogers - 2nd

We have no players to entice trade partners, but we could always get creative by swapping picks in the draft to create value.

Comment

Rough estimates of cost

Shawntae Spencer - 3rd
                                Lito sheppard - 3rd
                                Routt - 4th-5th
                                Rogers - 2nd

We have no players to entice trade partners, but we could always get creative by swapping picks in the draft to create value.
                                I bet we could get Carlos Rogers for our first 3rd, its the first pick on day 2. Very valuable. Heck I'd trade the other 3rd for Spencer or Lito.

I could live with Rogers/Spencer in the secondary. Both are fairly young. Pick 20 could be an OT that falls then, pick 33 could be Brace(or trade back a little and get Brace plus a 4th) and we could get Mike Peterson in free agency.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information