Not having any 4th or 5th round picks could hurt IMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having any 4th or 5th round picks could hurt IMO

To me these are the money rounds where you can get tremendous value for players who can start for you, but aren't hyped to go in the first 3 rounds. (Tashard Choice, Anthony Collins, Carl Nicks, Orlando Scandrick, Tim Hightower to name a few from last year). I think it will hurt not having any picks in these rounds this year, but with the acquired vets and earlier picks we have gained it should turn out alright in the end I suppose.

2nd, 3rd round are more important and have an extra one of those. They are cheap and more likely to be good and good sooner.

We still have 2 6ths. You could always trade a pick next year too like we did to get Avril.

Plus we could move back in the 3rd, if we think we can get a guy later and pick up a 4th or 5th.

Comment

the Lions haven't had a player in rounds 4-7 who made a difference...ever. Our scouts are terrible so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

We got great value for our 4th and 5ths this year. I like having picks in those rounds too, I didn't like a couple years ago when we kept trading them so we could get more 2nd rounders (Gerald Alexander, Stanton, IAF, sucked). But the moves that have given them up this year have been very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitebull View Post
          We got great value for our 4th and 5ths this year. I like having picks in those rounds too, I didn't like a couple years ago when we kept trading them so we could get more 2nd rounders (Gerald Alexander, Stanton, IAF, sucked). But the moves that have given them up this year have been very good.
          we didnt have a pick in the 4th round, and we got Kenneth Moore and Jerome Felton in the 5th round. Felton started at first then got benched and i never saw Moore. Yeah great value

Comment

Originally posted by LOLitsTomBrady View Post
            we didnt have a pick in the 4th round, and we got Kenneth Moore and Jerome Felton in the 5th round. Felton started at first then got benched and i never saw Moore. Yeah great value
            Well I guess me might as well just forfeit our 1sts and 2nds then also because we haven't really gotten any value from those picks either..

Comment

When I said this year, I was talking about the 2009 picks we traded you know, this year.

Comment

dont we have dallas' 5th round? Im pretty sure we still have one 5th

Comment

Originally posted by detroit4life View Post
                  dont we have dallas' 5th round? Im pretty sure we still have one 5th
                  we have their 6th I believe

Comment

Originally posted by woodnick View Post
                    Well I guess me might as well just forfeit our 1sts and 2nds then also because we haven't really gotten any value from those picks either..
                    you're cute

Comment

Yeah it's a 6th ...
                      1a, 1b, 2, 3a, 3b, 6a, 6b (not sure on a 7th?)

But we still have 2 3rd round picks which is key b/c all analysts say this is not a top heavy draft but is as deep as ever from players 20-100. I feel rnd 3 is a great time to grab one of these athletic TE's Linehan loves to use (Chase Coffman, James Casey, Shawn Nelson) and even a G or MLB if we do not pull the trigger early on these positions. I love Jason Phillips from TCU at MLB with Peterson and Sims running wild on the edges, that would be fun. We got value for that 5th rounder in Peterson, plus we dumped Millen's favorite, Cory Redding. Love the fresh start!

Comment

you're cute
                        thanks, but I'm already taken.

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                          Yeah it's a 6th ...
                          1a, 1b, 2, 3a, 3b, 6a, 6b (not sure on a 7th?)

But we still have 2 3rd round picks which is key b/c all analysts say this is not a top heavy draft but is as deep as ever from players 20-100. I feel rnd 3 is a great time to grab one of these athletic TE's Linehan loves to use (Chase Coffman, James Casey, Shawn Nelson) and even a G or MLB if we do not pull the trigger early on these positions. I love Jason Phillips from TCU at MLB with Peterson and Sims running wild on the edges, that would be fun. We got value for that 5th rounder in Peterson, plus we dumped Millen's favorite, Cory Redding. Love the fresh start!
                          I agree, it seems like there is a ton of depth in this draft and there should be the opportunity to find quality players with talent in the 4th/5th rounds. An example of this, IMO, will be a guy like Mike Wallace or Johnny Knox who are more of return men/slot WRs who have chances to develop into solid #2/#3 WRs. Derrick Mason entered the league in this fashion, but with a lot less speed. I also like a guy like Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th/5th, the guy will be a stud at the next level, and IMO, he'd be a perfect rotational guy with Grady.

Comment

Don't worry. I'm sure we trade down once or twice somewhere in the draft. I think it would be rare if we stayed where we are with all our picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                              Don't worry. I'm sure we trade down once or twice somewhere in the draft. I think it would be rare if we stayed where we are with all our picks.
                              Thats what I'm hoping for

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information