Analysis of Jeff Backus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of Jeff Backus

I have been rewatching all the Lions games just watching Jeff Backus.(Tax Season is over and my fiance is away for 2 months so I got some time between hockey and bball playoffs).

So far I have watched San Fran and Tampa games. Some interesting notes so far
    Backus played fairly well in both those games despite our team givin up 4 sacks in each game and getting blown out with some bad offense. 2 bad plays really in 2 games. A couple mediocre plays that didn't hurt us but for the most part, pretty good protection one on one with the best pass rush(Smith and Gaines Adams/Greg White) and some of our big runs were set up with help of Backus(Rudi run and a couple big Kevin Smith runs in TB).

4 sacks vs San Fran, first sack was part Backus, Justin Smith on a stunt blew by Mulitalo/Raiola for the sack, but the DT got by Backus too so if Smith didn't crush Kitna, it would have been Backus guy. They also brought the house on a blitz on the left side on this play. This is one of only 2 bad plays in 2 games. For the most part, Backus did a good job against Justin Smith, Kitna was missing throws with good protection to Roy and receivers were dropping balls(Calvin,McDonald,Roy).

There were 2 other sacks in San Fran game that may have been credited to Backus but there is no way its his fault. Coverage sacks with Kitna having decent protection going outside the pocket and just not throwing the ball and taking the sack. So if the 2 sacks from Green got credited to Backus, its bogus because they were coverage sacks with the QB rolling out and just being an idiot(Kitna). Same with Gaines Adams sack in the Tampa game, good initial protection, Daunte rolls out when he didn't have too and doesn't do a thing.

The first sack in the Tampa game was a stunt by Wilkerson blowing by McCollum. Wilkerson also had a sack later where he blew by Gosder. Gosder got beat bad by Haralson in the San Fran game as well but this was at the very end of the game down by a bunch of points in both games(so they knew it was a passing situation). Also late in the Tampa game, Greg White blew by Michael Gaines.

Backus other bad play was a holding call at the end of the 1st half vs Tampa. Killed the drive even though he had good protection on a 3rd and 22, we went deep to Calvin and Calvin couldn't hall it in on a floater.

Also of note, the 4 ints in this game were all on the QBs. Kitna threw a pick on a horrible throw to Furrey into coveage on the outside with good protection in San Fran game down 21-3 early 3rd Qtr. Orlovsky threw a late int on Justin Smith picking up the screen.

Tampa game, Daunte threw twice to McDonald on the outside with good protection that was undercut by Rhonde Barber. One set up a td and one Rhonde returned for a TD. Daunte had pretty good protection for the most part all day, but the game plan was Calvin go deep, it worked twice out of 4. Also Paris Lenon in coverage not dropping back properly, cost us two tds vs Tampa when they came back.

To be continued.

Give Backus a real Left Guard to play next to instead of a turnstyle and we'll be much better off.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I agree, we need a stud left guard for both run game and pass protection.

I'm watching the Houston game now. Backus is pretty much stoning Mario Williams/Okoye played some end all game. Any pressure is from the Right side on a blitz by the LB. 1st sack was a blitz that Rudi Johnson didn't pick up. Dan O also just fumbled a good snap. And Shaun McDonald sucks.

Comment

Backus played flawless vs Houston. Mario Williams was on him some, but sometimes on right too. Backus blocking sprung Kevin Smith td run on left side. Good pass protection against whoever he faced.

So far 3 games(10 sacks,2 poor offensive performances by Lions), I'd say one great game(Houston), one good game(TB) and one decent game San Fran for Backus.

Defense and QB are obviously the huge problems. I'd say other than Calvin are receivers sucked too once Roy was traded. Glad we got Bryant Johnson and Ronald Curry.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
          Give Backus a real Left Guard to play next to instead of a turnstyle and we'll be much better off.
          I think Backus could be serviceable if there was a good guard playing next to him. I'd rather invest in getting a left guard, who would help Backus, than a left tackle seeing as no one honestly knows if Backus can play guard or not.

Comment

Watched Atlanta game and boy is Jeff Backus getting hosed on stats because of our D and QBs and the whole behind by a 1,000 points situation every game.

Great protection all game By Backus until the last drive down 34-21, and even then I don't think its Backus fault on these 2 sacks.

First Abraham sack is a blow by of Foster earlier in the game. Why did we resign this guy.

Second sack(last drive down 34-21), Kitna just waits forever to throw the ball, pressure comes from the Right Side(Foster), and Kitna practically runs into the arms of John Abraham.

Third sack, 3rd and 19(because of Kitna fumble with good protection just dropping the ball) down 34-21, Kitna rolls out way left, practically on the sideline, waits forever and Abraham makes a diagonal towards him, Backus and entire rest of line is blocking at the hash mark, but Kitna is way left. I would not count this agains Backus either. 2 sacks here and 3 coverage sacks with good initial protection in San Fran and Tampa.

Backus vs Atlanta, I'm going to say great game and I was expecting poor game when I saw 3 sacks by Abraham in the box score.

And the Kitna pick, he had great protection. So far every int I have seen there has been great protection. Kitna is throwing check downs in the first few drivers short of the first and Kitna slid once short of a FD to end a drive when we really needed a 1st. Man do we need Stafford. I would consider a LT later given Backus age, but maybe a guy who can play guard and then eventually replace Backus. Because as of right now, I don't see any rookie beating out Jeff Backus unless they do it because its the first pick of Smith/Monroe.
            Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2; 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
              It may work. Duke Robinson's stock has slipped recently but he is as dominate as they come in this draft. I also like the monster Herman Johnson who could really plug it up in there ... we could probably snag him with #82 ...

Comment

Anybody think Alex Mack could play some LG well or Max Unger or Eric Wood. I like Duke also. Actually I like a lot of guards, Canfiled,LeVitre,Cornelius Lewis. Hope we get one. That is one position Millen ignored in the draft no question about it. Left Guard, he tried the FA route with that and settled for mediocre ones in DeMulling,Verba,Mulitalo(washed up). And Millen also let go of Jeff Hartings and Kyle Kosier(starting LG for Dallas). Pass protection aside thats a big reason we don't run the ball well. Look at Hutchinson and Faneca with Pittsburgh and now Jets, Titans LG is an unknown but very good,Philly have Heremans and Shawn Andrews, Falcons have Blalock,Giants have Snee and OHara. You want to run the ball gets some good guards.

The only thing is, Backus although much better than people think he is(at least from what I've seen when rewatching these games), he's still going to be 32 in September. Maybe take a future LT that could play LG for 1 or 2 years.

Comment

As far as guards go, I'd love to pick Eric Wood. He's a Center/Guard kinda guy, but I like what he can bring to the table. It'd be great if we could land him at #65.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                    As far as guards go, I'd love to pick Eric Wood. He's a Center/Guard kinda guy, but I like what he can bring to the table. It'd be great if we could land him at #65.
                    I really like Eric Wood as well. I've always liked the draft scenario of

1. Stafford
                    1B defense
                    2 - Mack, Unger, and now Wood. I think we see one go late first. Not sure which one yet ha.

Comment

Well, I'm pulling for..

#1 - Matt Stafford
                      #20 - Rey Maualuga
                      #33 - Ziggy Hood
                      #65 - Eric Wood
                      #82 - Mike Mickens

The NFL Fears Hood & Wood! But I doubt we get to pull that off.. would be nice though.

Comment

Well, I'm pulling for..

#1 - Matt Stafford
                        #20 - Rey Maualuga
                        #33 - Ziggy Hood
                        #65 - Eric Wood
                        #82 - Mike Mickens

The NFL Fears Hood & Wood! But I doubt we get to pull that off.. would be nice though.
                        Thats sexy. But don't piss off Stafford . . . he prefers to go by Matthew, hahaha.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

He's going to go by Matt.. we don't need a Joey/Joe style debate during one of our games again.

Comment

I guess I am OK with staying with Backus for another season at least, and getting Mack, Unger or Wood in the second or third to play LG until Raiola's contract is up, then moving them to center.

MNYM2, I would be very interested in you going back over those games and watching Raiola. I wonder if he's really as poor in the inside running game as it seems.

I do know, and will never forgive him for it, than on the play Kevin Jones suffered his Lisfranc foot injury and basically doomed his Lions career, it was an inside goal-line run that Raiola got killed on and that's why Jones got swamped and got his foot f'd up.

I want Raiola replaced by next season, so I say draft one of those hybrid centers in this draft which is crazy sick with them, and look for a tackle next year.

Comment

Well, I'm pulling for..

#1 - Matt Stafford
                              #20 - Rey Maualuga
                              #33 - Ziggy Hood
                              #65 - Eric Wood
                              #82 - Mike Mickens

Is Mickens a KR too? I just read Schwartz say part of the reason they went after Buchanon was b/c he could handle the punt returning role as well. He (Buchanon) may be the answer, but I think this is key for the Lion's, getting a dual threat athlete (CB/KR) in say the 3rd round. I like Macho Harris and my sleeper is a projected 6th round guy, Brice McCain from Utah! 4.3 guy who may not be an NFL corner but could be 100% our return guy. I might take a stab with that 2nd 6th rounder or our 7th rounder on him. To me field position is that important. This has been lacking in Detroit since Drummond's 04/05 Pro Bowl seasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information