• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Detroit Media . . .

I hate you.
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

They are thinking there is one way to make the rubick's cube right. They have a man crush on Rey Maualuga. Rey is decent but he has had injury problems, over runs the ball, isn't great on shedding blockers, get's off balance (see Nelson plant him to the ground), and has some character issues.

Pettigrew is the logical pick because he helps Stafford block and catch the ball. This will give Stafford a chance to succeed which allows the franchise to succeed in the future when the QB does not bust.

You can draft another linebacker next year in

in Mark Herzlich or Brandon Spikes who are just as tough and mean and also know how to really play linebacker well.

This is a good start. Not perfect but a good start.

Comment

Remember, for 7+ years they gave Millen A or A+'s. They have zero knowledge of the draft or what it takes to build a winner.

I believe I heard NFL Network crew mention some last minute injury concerns as the reason Rey fell.
      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Michael Oher was there... There's no excusing what a bad pick Pettigrew was with Oher there...

Comment

We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JJKID View Post
            We Needed a Left Tackle and a Middle Linebacker, in true Lions form they pick up a TE. True the best in the draft but I believe he would have been there at 34. You spend all that money one a quarterback, show him and the fans you want him to succeed. Oher at 20, pettigrew at 34. Overall i give us a C+. When your 0-16 its tough to have a horrible draft. We needed everyone.
            HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.

Comment

The only thing they are stupid about what I've heard is the thought of Aaron Curry #1. The Lions played it safe by selecting Pettigrew over Oher there is no doubt about it. Oher has a very low floor due to the inconsistency and the learning disability. But he has a very very high ceiling as well could possibly be the #1 tackle out of this class. Mayock said it himself that the reason we passed on Rey is because Rey might be a two down LB which we can't have.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              - All that whining about how the Lions so desperately needed a left tackle and about how they should take Jason Smith with the #1 overall pick then they pass on Michael Oher when he drops right into their laps? Now I like Brandon Pettigrew and they certainly needed a tight end but after just spending $72 million on Matthew Stafford why wouldn’t they jump at the chance to protect him like Atlanta did with Matt Ryan a year ago? I know Pettigrew will contribute as a blocker too I think this was a mistake. Oh, for all the talk about selecting Aaron Curry #1 and how middle linebacker was their biggest problem they also passed on both Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis here as well
              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Outstanding against the run and a great leader but passed on Maualuga / Laurinaitis.
              I think the Lions went safe on these picks Pettigrew and Delmas have higher floors than Oher and Rey.
              Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
              oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

They really don't have higher floors...not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                  They really don't have higher floors...not even close.
                  Oher's floor is very low as I explained he has a learning disability has to be in a simple offense. And if scouts are right and Rey is a 2 down LB (which explains why he fell past the 2nd round) then he isn't right for this D.
                  Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                  oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

The Lions philosophy was clearly to take the best player available with those first three picks. That is how the great teams draft. I know people thought middle linebacker and left tackle were bigger needs, but I'm still loving this draft. We just got the top quarterback, the top tight end, and the top safety.

The Rey Maualuga hype is sickening. I said a few weeks ago that he's a 2nd Round pick, and I guess [most] all of the NFL teams shared my opinion. There were multiple teams in the 12-37 range that needed middle linebackers and they all passed him. Denver passed on him three times; Cleveland twice; San Diego, Green Bay, Miami, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and New England all passed once. All of those teams could've used an upgrade at middle linebacker and none of them thought Maualuga was worth a pick that high.

Comment

i believe in oher, but pettigrew and delmas are both safe and highly talented while being instant impact picks. our team leader only had 1 interception last year. pettigrew improves our red zone and short yardage abilities dramatically. oher is too inconstant right now. we can always get a 'once in a decade, franchise LT' next year anyway.
                      SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                      Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

A big reason people wanted Maualuga(sp?) over Delmas was name value. Maualuga was on TV a lot and Delmas wasn't. People weren't excited about Bob Sanders when he came out and didn't think he would be the face of a defense.

Comment

http://www.freep.com/article/2009042...904270330/1048
                          And it could have been crazier. Coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions were looking hard at Ohio State running back Beanie Wells, who fell to Arizona at 31st overall -- two picks before the Lions took Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas. The Lions' first three picks could have been offensive players, even though their defense has ranked last the past two seasons.
                          "Let me say this: Everybody we drafted we liked and we saw a role for, so it wasn't like we were just drafting blindly to take guys," Schwartz said. "But I thought we did a really good job of balancing high-rated players with how we were going to use them."
                          Two outside linebackers? Well, one will move to the middle, third-round pick DeAndre Levy of Wisconsin. Levy's only 236 pounds, but Schwartz pointed out legendary Baltimore middle linebacker Ray Lewis was 228 when he came out.
                          SCA Prowler is my Xbox Live Gamertag
                          Fire Caldwell!!!

Prowler's Newb Guide

Comment

Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
                            HAHAHAHA, Pettigrew at 34. Ravens already said that we would have taken him at 26 if he were there, possibly making the same trade we did for Oher. I think Pettigrew is a solid pick for you guys, but getting a OG would have been good.
                            When Philly traded up for Maclin at 19 I thought that was going to be a trade with us ... acquire another pick ... drop down ... but nope. Pettigrew is a solid player, no doubt ... time will tell if it equates in the NFL (he caught not 1 TD his senior year) but to me a TE is a later rd pick or a pick at that spot (top 25) for a team that is on the verge of the play offs or has some more established beef. That's all. A DT or LT or MLB with skills were all there.

We get SPIKES next year ... I'll take it baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SINCE1978 View Post
                              We get DUNLAP next year ... I'll take it baby!
                              Fixed. Hopefully DeAndre Levy works out for us in the middle.

I think we'll be picking too high for Brandon Spikes anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information