Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willis at #2? Not so unreasonable anymore...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Willis at #2? Not so unreasonable anymore...

    POSTED 8:02 p.m. EDT, March 21, 2007

    WILLIS CLIMBS THE LADDER

    According to NFL.com, Mississippi linebacker Patrick Willis ran the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.37 and 4.38 seconds during a Tuesday Pro Day workout.

    The times were generated on FieldTurf, which is the same surface used at the scouting combine in Indy.

    The move is sure to send Willis farther up the draft board. In our most recent mock draft, Willis had climbed to No. 11, as the first linebacker taken. He could now potentially challenge Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams as the first defensive player selected.

    Most impressive to us is that Willis didn't rest on his dazzling time from his first crack at the 40. Instead, he ran again to prove that it wasn't a fluke.

    Willis was the 2006 Butkus Award winner, and he would be a great fit in a Cover 2-style scheme, which requires the middle linebacker to chase receivers down the middle of the field.
    From PFT.com...

    Honestly... it's true. With that time, he could definately shoot up the boards... which is almost bad news for the Lions. To grab him, we'd almost have to take him in the top 5... which means we probably shouldn't trade down twice.

    It seems to fit, though... the coaches love him, they want a MLB and he's shooting up the boards (a 4.38!?). I definately think he'll be our target.

    Imagine his speed in Madden 08...
    Left NFLDC: 20080918.

  • #2
    if we got patrick willis, id be soooo happy. i have a big of a man crush on him as tactalion does. i definately would love to have him in the draft but only at the earliest pick number 5, if we cant trade down im not sure if i want him, because there are other MLBs in round 2 we could take (buster davis and david harris). but honestly if we did pick him at #2 id be extremely happy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Let's trade down and take Willis. I still refuse to take him at 2, but I am not opposed to taking him in any sort of deal down. Let's get some more picks to work with, and then grab Willis.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.
      "I am the one who knocks!"

      Comment


      • #4
        If Millen liked him before, he must love Willis now.. He did that "4.37" on Field Turf, which is the same surface that the Lions play on at Ford Field..

        A 6'1, 242 pounder with, just to be safe, 4.4 speed.. That's one fast bulldozer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
          If Millen liked him before, he must love Willis now.. He did that "4.37" on Field Turf, which is the same surface that the Lions play on at Ford Field..

          A 6'1, 242 pounder with, just to be safe, 4.4 speed.. That's one fast bulldozer.
          Haha... that's a great line.

          I think I can safely say that Willis is the target in round 1. They haven't brought in ANY MLBs in FA, and they've made it clear that they want to "upgrade at the position".

          Sweet.
          Left NFLDC: 20080918.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TacticaLion View Post
            From PFT.com...

            Honestly... it's true. With that time, he could definately shoot up the boards... which is almost bad news for the Lions. To grab him, we'd almost have to take him in the top 5... which means we probably shouldn't trade down twice.

            It seems to fit, though... the coaches love him, they want a MLB and he's shooting up the boards (a 4.38!?). I definately think he'll be our target.

            Imagine his speed in Madden 08...
            He'll probably end up with 90-91 speed, IF they respect those numbers over the combine ones. By that same reasoning, his strength should be low, considering he bench pressed only 22 times (i wouldn't get that thing up to begin with, but... nevermind)

            Sig by Fenikz

            I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

            Comment


            • #7
              i still dont see them taking him at 2 i think they're going to be able to make a trade down and where ever they end up it'll be willis or adams

              Comment


              • #8
                I still cannot see taking him at #2, that would make him probably the highest drafted MLB ever.

                What I can see now is the Lions making one move down and drafting him between 5 and 10. Getting another 2nd rounder makes it easier to reach.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                  I still cannot see taking him at #2, that would make him probably the highest drafted MLB ever.

                  What I can see now is the Lions making one move down and drafting him between 5 and 10. Getting another 2nd rounder makes it easier to reach.
                  I agree that they'll *try* to move down and draft him later (5-10 is reasonable)... but... as many have asked lately, "what if they can't move down"? I think they'll be able to, but, if they can't, I can see them taking Willis.

                  Originally posted by Addict
                  He'll probably end up with 90-91 speed, IF they respect those numbers over the combine ones. By that same reasoning, his strength should be low, considering he bench pressed only 22 times (i wouldn't get that thing up to begin with, but... nevermind)
                  That's reasonable... maybe 72 strength... but he'll have to have high awareness (83) and tacking (89).

                  Not a bad player. Can't wait to piss people off with Sims-Willis.
                  Left NFLDC: 20080918.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As far as Willis' Madden Speed rating goes.. Manny Lawson has 91 speed.. And I think he ran 4.4's at his workouts.. I can see Willis with 88-90 speed.. If we take Willis, we'll have the fastest LB's in the league.. Sims, Willis, and Boss Bailey..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                      As far as Willis' Madden Speed rating goes.. Manny Lawson has 91 speed.. And I think he ran 4.4's at his workouts.. I can see Willis with 88-90 speed.. If we take Willis, we'll have the fastest LB's in the league.. Sims, Willis, and Boss Bailey..
                      *orgasms*
                      :)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If we don't get him in real life, he'll be the first guy I trade for in Madden 08....
                        "If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As stated above, I too have been growing a man crush on Patrick Willis. It's looking more and more likely that my Patriots will have no shot whatsoever at him... :(

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pocket View Post
                            If we don't get him in real life, he'll be the first guy I trade for in Madden 08....
                            Underlined for honesty.

                            If the Pats traded us both 1st rounders, they could probably take him...
                            Left NFLDC: 20080918.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I hope they can trade down and grab Willis or Adams. Either one would make me extremely happy AND getting additional draft choices?? Priceless...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information