Detroit Tigers discussion...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Tigers discussion...

I know I'm skipping school tomorrow for opening day.

My classes end at 1 pm . . . hmm, maybe I'll skip my last class . . . Bonderman v. Halladay!
    R.I.P. L.E.F.
    "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

I'm gonna say that Gary Sheffield hits a homer tomorrow, the first HR by a Tiger this season.
      R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiomera View Post
        I'm gonna say that Gary Sheffield hits a homer tomorrow, the first HR by a Tiger this season.
        I agree. I think he is going to be pumped for his debut. I also think this is Bondo's break out year.

Comment

I'm so excited for this season! What a great match up: Bondo vs. Holliday. Should be a great game, but I think Bondo is going to pitch a gem! I'm looking for Shef and Guillen to have good games, Shef's first game as Tiger and Guillen just got an extension!

Comment

Originally posted by sportkid448 View Post
            I'm so excited for this season! What a great match up: Bondo vs. Holliday. Should be a great game, but I think Bondo is going to pitch a gem! I'm looking for Shef and Guillen to have good games, Shef's first game as Tiger and Guillen just got an extension!
            I forgot about that extension. It was pretty reasonable.

Comment

i live right down the street from fifth third park where the low class a west michigan whitecaps play and i can tell you that maybin is going to be a beast he reminds me alot of vlad guererro

Comment

I love Maybin. A couple other guys I'm excited about are Jeff Larish and Michael Hollimon. Of course Andrew Miller as well. I'm not a fan of Giarratano however. I too think this will be Bondo's break out year. The guy is so young and yet he'd been in the league for awhile already. I'm expecting big things from him. However, I think Verlander might take a small step back this year. Not way back, just not quite as good as last year, but still all star calibre. I think his K/9 numbers will be up, but his ERA, OAV, and WHIP all be slightly up from last year. The problem was once he stopped throwing the knuckle curve and went to the straight curve he seemed to become a little more hittable. I'm also extremely happy about Guillen's extension. He's by far my favorite Tiger, and despite people's love for Ordonez, Guillen is easily the best hitter on the team.

Originally posted by Jakey
                WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

I just hope they stay healthy, they've already had one big blow with Rogers, if they can stay away from any more of those they'll be OK.

Comment

I'm not sure Rogers is a huge blow. It was risk signing him anyway at his age. Kind of makes me wish we didn't trade Humberto Sanchez, but I guess we got Sheff back in return. I think we have a number of guys that could potentially step in and hold the fort down or even excel until Rogers return. If they want to go with a younger guy, I feel Tata or Jurrjens could probably step in and do alright.

Comment

Well, Durbin is the first one to take that spot, after him it could be one of five or six guys, Miner, even Ledezma if they can find some other lefty for the pen, and Miller could come up pretty quickly if he's doing well in the minors. I dunno about Tata, I don't remember him being any good last year, and no one knows crap about Jurrjens. But saying Rogers is no big loss is crazy and also wrong btw.

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                        Well, Durbin is the first one to take that spot, after him it could be one of five or six guys, Miner, even Ledezma if they can find some other lefty for the pen, and Miller could come up pretty quickly if he's doing well in the minors. I dunno about Tata, I don't remember him being any good last year, and no one knows crap about Jurrjens. But saying Rogers is no big loss is crazy and also wrong btw.
                        If you followed minor league baseball, you would know plenty about Jurrjens. Tata did quite well last year in AAA, going 10-6 with a 3.84 ERA, .252 OAV, and 86K's in 21 games. He was also rated as the #5 Tigers prospect by Baseball America. Jurrjens was rated the Tigers #4 prospect by Baseball America, and went 5-0 with a 2.08 ERA, .198 OAV and 59 K's in 12 games at high A, and 4-3 with a 3.36 ERA and 53 K's in 12 games at AA. Hell, Jurrjens threw alot better in ST than either Miller or Miner. I realize Durbin was already called up as the replacement, however I was simply saying if they wished to go with a younger player I believe those guys could step in and do fairly well.

As far as Rogers, I said he was no HUGE loss, not a big loss. First off, you had to expect the guy to miss time at some point anyway. Second, he's only expected to be out until around July. Since he would only make around 32 starts in a full healthy season, we're talking about around 15-18 starts. Out a 162 game season, that's not a huge loss. Even if you only win 5 of the starts he missed, it's not a huge difference. If we lost a regular position player like Guillen, then yes, it's a huge loss, because that's going to effect a much larger portion of games. And besides, pennants are won at the end of the season, not the beginning.

And let's also not forget that our entire pitching staff benefited from fantastic defense last year. In fact, we had the best defense in the league. A non strikeout pitcher like Rogers benefits even more than most from it. I would rather lose Rogers than either Bonderman or Verlander as a starter.
                        Last edited by ironman4579; 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I skipped my last class to watch the game. 3-3 in the 6th now . . .
                          R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Yeah, your points are well taken and no, I don't follow minor league baseball. I also agree that Rogers can be compensated for, which is why i said if there aren't more injuries then they're fine.

The Tigers showed great ability last year to have guys step up and fill roles, and I'm looking forward to seeing that continue. They seem to have become a top-level organization, and in any sport, that means that unknown guys can step into the system and produce. I am so looking forward to them keeping that roll going. Pleasant surprises are one of the best parts of rooting for a team.

Comment

Now that Humberto Sanchez is injured again, is it safe to say we got a steal of a deal getting Sheffield?
                              R.I.P. L.E.F.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information