Drafting a QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting a QB

IMO the Lions should not take a QB in this years draft for a couple reasons.

Firstly, we're not going to be going to the playoffs next year, so Kitna playing for another year isnt the end of the world, like some people take it to be.

Secondly, our main concern should be, and is, on trading down ad maximizing our draft picks this year. If we can pull this ATL deal then we should be in FANTASTIC shape. We need to try to get a first in the 08 draft and if we can we'll have gotten the best of whatever trade it is.

Mainly though, next years crop of QB's is outstanding! Here's a list of QB's who will all draw First Round interest (not in any particular order):

Brian Brohm - Louisville
    Chad Henne - Michigan
    Eric Ainge - Tennessee
    John David Booty - USC
    Colt Brennan - Hawai'i
    Matt Ryan - Boston College

I believe that Brohm,Henne and Ainge are ALL better prospects than Russell or Quinn. And JDB Brennan and Ryan are all very close in comparison. If we can get another 1st in 08 from this trade, we'll have 2 of them and that would give us the ability, depending on our draft position, to move up to get the guy we want or just stay put and grab whoever falls to us.

I think we should wait till next year and evaluate the larger more talent crop of QB's that will be around.

Thoughts?

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21

Originally posted by asmitty45 View Post
    IMO the Lions should not take a QB in this years draft for a couple reasons.

Firstly, we're not going to be going to the playoffs next year, so Kitna playing for another year isnt the end of the world, like some people take it to be.

Secondly, our main concern should be, and is, on trading down ad maximizing our draft picks this year. If we can pull this ATL deal then we should be in FANTASTIC shape. We need to try to get a first in the 08 draft and if we can we'll have gotten the best of whatever trade it is.

Mainly though, next years crop of QB's is outstanding! Here's a list of QB's who will all draw First Round interest (not in any particular order):

Brian Brohm - Louisville
    Chad Henne - Michigan
    Eric Ainge - Tennessee
    John David Booty - USC
    Colt Brennan - Hawai'i
    Matt Ryan - Boston College

I believe that Brohm,Henne and Ainge are ALL better prospects than Russell or Quinn. And JDB Brennan and Ryan are all very close in comparison. If we can get another 1st in 08 from this trade, we'll have 2 of them and that would give us the ability, depending on our draft position, to move up to get the guy we want or just stay put and grab whoever falls to us.

I think we should wait till next year and evaluate the larger more talent crop of QB's that will be around.

Thoughts?
    Brennan is currently considered head and shoulders above Henne as a prospect. And during the small time that he was entered into this years draft averybody had him rated #3 behind Quinn and Russell.

I do agree that we should wait until next year to draft a QB, and if the Lions continue to struggle under Kitna then hopefully we'll be able to see if Orvloski is able to play and Martz can develop him if not then target the QB that you want and go get him.

Comment

I would love for the lions to get Brennan if they dont get a QB this year, which i dont think they will if they dont take Quinn at 2.

Comment

Andre Woodson. But I would take Russell or Quinn over any of those guys.

Comment

I want Brohm BADLY, he's a much better QB than either of these guys so i want the two firsts so we can move up and snag him at the top of the draft

fenikz

35-21

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
            Andre Woodson. But I would take Russell or Quinn over any of those guys.
            completely agree Andre Woodson is very comparable to Russell just more raw talent. I'd take Russell over any of those guys

Comment

IS andre Woodson reallys supposed to be a good prospect next year?

Comment

yeah i think so i would be surprised if he wasnt a 1st round QB he got a lot of press to in his bowl game a lot of ppl were lovin on him. He's a lot like rusell but with more mobility he's got great arm strength but im not too sure about his accuracy

Comment

if we were to finish in the middle of the pack next year (10-19 pick), who would we take as a QB most likely? or would we take one round 1? if we didnt take one until round 2-3, assuming we dont take stanton/edwards this year in the 2nd/3rd, who do you think we would or could get next year, to fill that rookie learning position?

Comment

i would take henne or booty. michigan develops QBs. same goes with USC.

but i think the lions should reach for one this year. a mid round pick and see how he develops. IMHO its the weakest area but i dont think russell or quinn are worth taking.

Comment

i dont want henne or booty both really aren't good. Im a bug UM football fan and henne has a good deep ball but eyes down his targets too much and can't take over a game by himself he needs guys like hart manningham arrington etc around him and he makes way too many poor throws.

Booty is alright but its kinda the same thing he's surounded by great talent and in no way is he elite witht hat talent around him. Plus once you get pressure on either of these QB's they are hopeless

Comment

I dont trust henne but I do like Booty, Woodson would be a good pick up too

fenikz

35-21

Comment

I hate when people say we shouldn't take a QB because we don't need him 'this year'.. You don't take QB's to play in their first year, in most cases they do terrible... You take a Franchise QB so you don't have to worry about taking one for the next number of years.. If we take Quinn, I'd still expect Jon Kitna to play this season, maybe next.

I also don't buy that Chad Henne and Eric Ainge are better prospects than Quinn OR Russell. I agree that Brian Brohm is up there though. Not better, but he's close.. Quinn has all of the Tools you could want in a QB, even underrated scrambling ability. His problem was that his team wasn't good enough to win big games (no running game/O-line sucked).. and JaMarcus is just a physical freak with a monster arm. I think you might have just said that to convince yourself that we didn't need to take Quinn/Russell this year.
                          Last edited by WMD; 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I hope we dont take a qb this year, but not because i dont think we need one i just think quinn will be a bust and im not that sold on russell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
                              I hate when people say we shouldn't take a QB because we don't need him 'this year'.. You don't take QB's to play in their first year, in most cases they do terrible... You take a Franchise QB so you don't have to worry about taking one for the next number of years.. If we take Quinn, I'd still expect Jon Kitna to play this season, maybe next.

I also don't buy that Chad Henne and Eric Ainge are better prospects than Quinn OR Russell. I agree that Brian Brohm is up there though. Not better, but he's close.. Quinn has all of the Tools you could want in a QB, even underrated scrambling ability. His problem was that his team wasn't good enough to win big games (no running game/O-line sucked).. and JaMarcus is just a physical freak with a monster arm. I think you might have just said that to convince yourself that we didn't need to take Quinn/Russell this year.
                              Thank you...someone needed to say it.

The team is in no position to make the playoffs next season as it is. Of course I based this more on their strength of schedule than on talent. I also hope we don't take a QB in Round 1 but if that ends up happening, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. As was stated above, Quinn has everything you look for in terms of pedigree and intangibles, and Russell has tremendous upside. Let either one rest on the bench for a season (I'd prefer Quinn, I'm not gonna lie), learn the system and maybe even give them a few garbage starts towards the end of the season. Whatever ends up happening won't be terrible for this team.
                              Cheers to Michigan winters...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information