A Big **** You to ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big **** You to ESPN

As you have probably been made aware of ESPN is doing a summer segment called "TitleTown, USA". As described on their website, "This month SportsCenter will announce the 20 TitleTown USA finalists. Bolster the case for your favorite town with facts and stats about its championship pedigree by joining the respective TitleTown conversation. SportsCenter will broadcast from each of the finalists in July, and then online fan voting will determine which town is truly TitleTown USA". Apparently the so called "Worldwide Leader in Sports" doesn't know that name has always and will always belong to Green Bay. This whole thing just pisses me off, why would they do something as idiodic as this. I mean they weren't even clever with it. They blatently ripped off the name from Green Bay. How is that even a competition when you got the name of the segment from one of the participants.

To me this is a complete lack of respect to have this ridiculous event. If they were to call it "Best Sports City" or something it wouldn't bother me half as much, but to ask which city is Titletown makes me want to punch the guy that came up with this. ESPN's summer segments are usually garbage, but this is by far their worst. That's saying a lot too, last year's "Who's Now" was god awful.

Ask anyone where TitleTown, USA is and they'd say Green Bay. No one would have said New York, Boston, or Detroit, it's Green Bay. Massilon, Parkersburg, Williamsport, or Valdosa are some more of the competitors. I wouldn't have even had any idea what state those places where in had it not been listed.

The worst part about this is that ESPN now has people thinking that their city is Titletown. "This competition is much like a PGA tournament when Tiger is in the field. Everyone is fighting for second because they all know the real Titletown is New York City." "When I think of the name TitleTown USA, Knoxville, Tenn., is the first to pop in my head." And the worst one of all "The tundra-like conditions have iced in your front door...Welcome to TitleTown, USA. Welcome to Chicago". Reading the comments for other cities are sickening. And to top off this steaming pile of **** ESPN has created they will crown the champion by a fan vote. They're putting a town of 100K against the like of monster cities of 9million. Gee, wonder who has the advantage there.

So to this I say, **** YOU ESPN!

Absofruitly.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

I agree. ESPN glorifies their beloved east coast teams (NY and BOS mostly) and ignores the origin of title town.

At least they dont boast Eli Manning as "unstoppable." (Spike TV)
      Only one current athlete is close to unstoppable and thats Tiger. Federer and Nadal keep knocking each other off that list.

bonekrusher
      The Twitters
      themaninblack

Comment

Congrats New York or Chicago to winning "Titletown"....what a bunch of B.S.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Anyone with a brain knows what team is the true Titletown.

Comment

Must be alot of people without brains then.
            For real though, why did ESPN have to do this? They arent creative enought to give the city another title?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

does anyone really expect anything good from espn anymore? I still watch to get highlights but the rest of the crap is just ridiculous garbage and has been for a while....

I'm not even sure who they're trying to appeal to with garbage like this......but thanks for this warning so i know to try and avoid sportscenter for the rest of the month

Comment

ESPN is a joke. All this does is simply prove that point further.

Comment

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN anyways and this is just icing on the cake. The only thing I'll still watch is Around the Horn. I'm drawn to that show for some reason (probably just to hate on Mariotti).

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific View Post
                    Yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN anyways and this is just icing on the cake. The only thing I'll still watch is Around the Horn. I'm drawn to that show for some reason (probably just to hate on Mariotti).
                    i like to watch first take in the mornings really just for 1st and 10 to see the babble that skip comes up with.....and around the horn is pretty decent too yes, lol.

while i'm at school, i get espnnews so ill just turn that on to get highlights and things but during the summers, i don't get espnnews so i have to sift through the crap that is sportscenter to get just a little bit of actual news.....blah

Comment

Around the Horn and PTI are still entertaining.
                      I am one of the few who still likes Chris Berman too
                      Thats about it for me

How and the Mayne Event

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

I'm guessing they probably followed this story up with an interview with Favre saying he would come back if Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm, and Matt Flynn all became injured, and no QBs were available to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                          Must be alot of people without brains then.
                          For real though, why did ESPN have to do this? They arent creative enought to give the city another title?
                          As I see it without the Packers, the word "titletown" wouldn't have been made. We are the original, ESPN can continue making a rip-off.

Plus if it was a public voting, then I know it just a bunch of homers.
                          Last edited by PACKmanN; 07-02-2008, 04:44 AM.

Comment

It's just another way for ESPN to glorify Boston and New York. Ignore it.

Comment

WLUK, the FOX affiliate in Green Bay, had a news story about this today and they, in a way, laughed it off, and gave numerous examples of why Green Bay is truely Titletown.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information