Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the move. Haley needs to be the head coach and mess around with play calling. King Carl points out well above but his primary responsibility is many more things than calling plays. We will see how it plays out but right now we just lost an OC and shifted around other job duties. It's like a company downsizing for no real reason but to squeeze a couple extra dollars. This time though I think it's just to feed ego's.

Comment

• It's not to feed egos. It was definitely a move that kept the best interest of the team at heart. Bringing in someone from the outside would have meant an entire off-season of that new OC integrating his system with what the Chiefs already do and learning how to use the players (it took Weis until the second half of the season to figure out how to use the weapons they have in short yardage situations). It's best to develop your coaching staff and promote from within while supplementing by bringing in veteran special assistants and position coaches in from the outside.

Continuity with the coaching staff and the linemen is the key to long-term success.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPhilb View Post
        I hate the move. Haley needs to be the head coach and mess around with play calling. King Carl points out well above but his primary responsibility is many more things than calling plays. We will see how it plays out but right now we just lost an OC and shifted around other job duties. It's like a company downsizing for no real reason but to squeeze a couple extra dollars. This time though I think it's just to feed ego's.
        Ego's? A lot of head coaches call plays. Andy Reid being just one example. Like Nepg said, it's good from a continuity stand point. It's also good from a standpoint where we allow haley to showcase his true talents as a playcaller. I find it hard to understand the logic of not allowing a guy to utilize his talent(which got him to be a head coach in the first place) and really produce an effective and dangerous offense. Can you imagine if we got a legit number 2 wide out along with Bowe, Big Moe, DMC and Charles? I'm not quite sure how you can defend against something that balanced.
        hate him back, it works for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
          Ego's? A lot of head coaches call plays. Andy Reid being just one example. Like Nepg said, it's good from a continuity stand point. It's also good from a standpoint where we allow haley to showcase his true talents as a playcaller. I find it hard to understand the logic of not allowing a guy to utilize his talent(which got him to be a head coach in the first place) and really produce an effective and dangerous offense. Can you imagine if we got a legit number 2 wide out along with Bowe, Big Moe, DMC and Charles? I'm not quite sure how you can defend against something that balanced.
          Have you ever seen Andy Reid manage a game? It's a nightmare. I just think it's a ton of responsibility to manage a game and call plays. Maybe Haley can do it, but I'm skeptical. It's year 3 and we our on our 3rd O-coordinator. I don't think it's out of place to question that Haley's ego may be part of that. I really hope it works out, but from here I just don't like the move.

Comment

• look at most of the HCs that have been successful calling their own plays and standing right beside them is an elite QB. Cassel played much better than i would have guessed in '10, but i'm not ready to put him in the upper echelon of QBs, yet. also, lets get something strait about Haley before we anoint him as best OC ever. lets look back at his AZ days. he came onto the staff as OC in 2007 and didn't call plays, Whis did. only late in the season did Whis give Haley enough leash to call SOME plays. 2008, Haley had a fantastic year calling plays. He was a true OC in every sense of the word. They finished in the top 5 of multiple offensive categories and even broke a few club records. he had a future HoFer at QB and 2 of the best WRs in the league. now, in '09 he was HC of KC and then fired Chan Gailey (i'm not upset by that at all. i understand the reasoning completely. it just would have made more sense to do that before training camp.) and took over play calling duties himself. '09 wasn't a season to remember for an offensive minded coach. the Chiefs finished 25th in total offense, 23rd in total points and 25th in passing yards. i won't blame Haley for the poor '09 season. as many have mentioned, the talent on that team was not there, but if you give him most of the credit for being good when he has very talented players, then doesn't he deserve part of the blame for not making more with what he had? everyone is just willing to say that he is this great signal caller, but he hasn't proven that to be true. he has called plays for only 2 years. one of those years was a fantastic season with a Hall of Fame QB. The other was a very poor season. this is really hard for me to write, because i'm a huge Haley supporter. he will be the coach to take us back to the Promise Land. I just really wish he would allow someone else to implement their offense in KC. Weis was the perfect guy, but Haley's work environment doesn't ooze success unless Haley is the one pulling the trigger. He doesn't know how to just let go and let the OC do his frickin job. 1 year at AZ hardly makes him an expert on how the offense is supposed to run.

i actually believe that Haley will be ok as our OC. this team does have talent on it and not having to learn a new system will help most of the players. i also believe that if he isn't successful, then his job is definitely on the hotseat. it's almost like Pioli has given Haley enough rope to see if he'll hang himself with it or make a tire swing out of it. I know I might be in the minority here on this site, but i think most KC fans would admit that they wanted a true OC and keep Haley as HC as he has done a really good job in the one chance he was given with a good OC.
            Last edited by King Carls 5 Year Plan; 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Well said guys.. To be honest regarding Andy Reid, He's been a head coach in this league for quite a long time. So I just assumed he was a decent playcaller, I haven't seen an eagles game forever.

In regard to King Carl. You have some very good points. I don't think I'll ever put Cassel into Kurt Warner category. He's a former UNI panther and Iowa Barnstormer(I'm not sure what that is to be honest) so I'm pretty biased....Also, having Bolding and Fitzy definately helps a guy look good.
              I guess my one point i would add is that Arizona has never had a decent running game, so I think it makes Haley look legit when an offense is so one dimensional like that and it still puts up gawdy stats like that.

Comment

• I'm not really worried with Haley calling the plays.. I'm more concerned with him letting the rest of his HC duties fall by the wayside because of the playcalling. He's an accomplished playcaller and he has some experience on his coaching staff to help out, I just don't want him to forget the overall HC duties.

Originally posted by fenikz
                His soft D really turns me off
                ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• wow did'nt realize this.11 years ago today Derrick Thomas died as a result of his car crash

Comment

• i had also forgotten that today was the anniversary. DT is my favorite Chiefs of all time. I literally grew up watching him dominate football games. he epitomizes what i love about the Chiefs and what Arrowhead means. 11 years ago today, i cried like i had just lost my best friend, because i did. you aren't suppose to out live your children or your idol. Derrick Thomas is the greatest Chiefs to ever strap on a helmet.

RIP DT.

3 part series from his HoF induction. Great stuff if you got a half hour to watch it all.

Last edited by King Carls 5 Year Plan; 02-08-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• I would love to see Santana Moss line up acorss from Bowe next season, he is going to be a FA and would bring much needed speed to our WR unit.

Comment

• James Jones, Steve Breaston, Vincent Jackson, MIke Sims Walker, Malcolm Floyd, Steve Smith (NY), Sid Rice, Lance Moore, Santana Moss are all UFA/RFAs.
                        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

• tbh Moss has nothing left in the tank. There are some names on that list that definitely do though.

Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• V Jax and Bowe = SEXY

Comment

• Yea, having two physical Wide outs would make our offense pretty sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by vidae View Post
                                tbh Moss has nothing left in the tank. There are some names on that list that definitely do though.
                                His stats this year.

93 catches 1115 yards and 6 TD's.

http://www.nfl.com/players/santanamo...s?id=MOS717844

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information