This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
    It was mostly a combination of bad play calling, lack of options, and thomas jones falling down on first contact last year. The OL failed them on a few occasions, but did enough for the most part. The ol will buch improved just from the core group having another tartar of experience together and another year of maturity for the younger guys.
    Did they get fish sticks with that?

I am not sure this qualifies as another year for the core group. Waters is gone, Lilja has moved, Weigmann is walking the rope. It could be a lot worse. Albert is settled in. Lilja is an experienced LG, and that was in an elite pass blocking unit. Richardson and Asamoah will certainly benefit from more snaps.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• LOL. Just started using swipe on my phone when I made that post.

They have 4 of the 5 starters back from last year, and the 5th guy was on the team and played quite a bit. Albert and Richardson are regulars from two years ago (when the interior line was flat-out garbage). Continuity is soooo underrated. It's a key factor to having a successful offensive line that you can maintain over the years. Turnover along the OL isn't a good thing, and Pioli is a strong believer in that.

This is one of the best-done jobs by Pioli. That OL is setup for long-term success and they have very talented youngish players to make that happen. The only big change that's going to happen at the top of the depth chart is Rodney Hudson will eventually take over at C. Pioli no longer has to worry about using anything but 6th & 7th round picks and sign UDFAs to bring in high-upside, smart lineman who are great system fits.

Comment

• It has begun...

Thomas Jones is listed ahead of Jamaal Charles on the Chiefs' initial depth chart.

Comment

• It's night and day compared to what Carl Peterson used to do, which was not replace the OL spots when someone would retire or be let go. I'll take this approach every day of the week.

Originally posted by fenikz
          His soft D really turns me off
          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post
            It has begun...
            Don't look into that at all. Jerheme Urban is listed opposite Bowe too. It won't last.

Comment

• Part of that is Haley just showing how absurd submitting depth charts is. It's like how Belichick used to list Tom Brady as questionable every week on the injury report.

I think it's painful to see how stupid radio people and fans are who complain about it... It just shows the level the average person is operating at...and it's depressing.

Comment

It has begun...
                Jones is playing for a roster spot. JC's is pretty secure.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Jones is playing for a roster spot. JC's is pretty secure.

J
                  That's funny.

Comment

• I hope so too. I want to see Stanzi behind the first team OL.

Comment

• No real news with that game. The Chiefs' backups aren't good. They've only had a few drafts, and haven't been able to focus on depth very much yet. We'll see vast improvements to the pre-season roster in years 4 and 5 when the Chiefs' starters are pretty much set and the position battles are for backup spots.

Right now, the guys that are the 3rd and 4th string are just bodies. When you turn those roster spots into competition, pre-season games will be more fun to watch.

I love watching New England pre-season games because everyone on the roster is well-coached and knows the system and is capable of doing something on the field in a game situation. That's when you know you'll have long-term success.

The Chiefs have a great regular season roster with enough depth to survive a normal amount of injuries. They are definitely a Super Bowl contender. However, they don't have the inherent depth to pull guys like Landon Cohen and Kyle Love out of their ass when a bunch of guys go down. (and still have guys like Darryl Richard, Kade Weston, and other players who are capable of filling an NFL roster spot/role chilling on the practice squad)
                      Last edited by nepg; 08-14-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Chiefs to give Gaither a shot at Left Tackle.

According to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.

Comment

Chiefs to give Gaither a shot at Left Tackle.

According to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.
                          That was expected. They are auditioning him for swing tackle. The target is R'oC, not Albert.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• I'd love Kade Weston if we didn't just draft Powe.

Comment

• Weston is a swing guy. He was groomed as a DE in New England.

Plus the Chiefs have 6 linemen that belong anywhere near an NFL roster and you typically want tho have at least 8.

Comment

• The Chiefs are looking a lot better than the scoreboard and box score.

Once we get down to the final cuts, things should start coming together. They'll be able to cut to less than 53 and add some more talented players that got cut by more loaded teams like the Patriots, Eagles, etc.

The team has looked meh in the preseason because the 3rd and 4th string players are just not good. The Chiefs just haven't had the time to build up depth like some other teams with longer-tenured regimes have been able to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information