#1 Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NGSeiler View Post
    You don't think after going 1-15, bringing in an executive vice president in Parcells, and firing both the one-year head coach and the team's GM means they've already admitted to failure? I don't see why the organization would feel the need to save face on their second round draft pick.

Anywho, FWIW, this was posted in a Rams beat writer blog, but since it had other NFL tidbits, I thought I would put it here...

http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepa...iper-rams.html
    Kiper is never right anymore, bottom line. I never listen to that guy. Frankly, I don't know how he even still has a job.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Matt Ryan is a lot bigger option than I original thought apparently. I figured it was between the Longs but I heard Ireland wants Ryan.

Also, I doubt the new regime really cares to admit last year was a failure, it wasn't them that made the Beck pick.

That is correct comahan
      I ******* LOVE YOU DG
      <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
        Matt Ryan is a lot bigger option than I original thought apparently. I figured it was between the Longs but I heard Ireland wants Ryan.

Also, I doubt the new regime really cares to admit last year was a failure, it wasn't them that made the Beck pick.
        Guru,

I think that unless they really decide to move out for a big package of picks, that Ryan is the guy. If they don't solve it before the draft (Derek Anderson is the only way) then they have to go QB. I hope they are right because I sure don't see him as a can't miss guy.........

Comment

But wasn't it originially stated by Ireland that he was really high on Beck before the draft last year and that one year didn't really change that? I doubt that he's the one who wants Ryan. And I also read that the coaches were taking a long hard look at Flacco during the Senior Bowl and seemed to be very interested. I could see him being our pick at 33 more than I could see Ryan at # 1 Overall.

Comment

Wow. I would be surprised if yall keep the first pick at all. For several reasons.

1) Your front seven is good, but old. I think Parcells is always looking for a playmaker in the front seven.

2) I am not sold yall need a quarterback. I didnt think Beck looked horrible.

3) With Ronnie Brown (and Lorenzo Booker, who I have not given up on, yet) DMAC is not a need.

4) Again, your front sevens old. I would bet Parcells will be looking to find 3-4players, just like he did here in Dallas.

I would bet Parcells has yall competitive in no time. But not with one blue-chip prospect. I think he will do it with several players he obtains from the pick.
            Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL; 02-21-2008, 12:47 AM.
            I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
              Wow. I would be surprised if yall keep the first pick at all. For several reasons.

1) Your front seven is good, but old. I think Parcells is always looking for a playmaker in the front seven.

2) I am not sold yall need a quarterback. I didnt think Beck looked horrible.

3) With Ronnie Brown (and Lorenzo Booker, who I have not given up on, yet) DMAC is not a need.

4) Again, your front sevens old. I would bet Parcells will be looking to find 3-4players, just like he did here in Dallas.

I would bet Parcells has yall competitive in no time. But not with one blue-chip prospect. I think he will do it with several players he obtains from the pick.
              I sure hope you're right!

But if we must stay, the pick has to be Gholston.

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                I agree with everything you said up until Matt Ryan being option number 1. Most people think Ryan could be Parcell's next Bledsoe, but I have no reason to believe Flacco couldn't be, and for a much cheaper price in the 2nd round. He has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and looked pretty accurate at the Senior Bowl. They only question is the competition, but the guy just seems like a competitor to me, bottom line.

Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year and completely throwing away a 2nd round pick. I just don't think it would be the most productive thing to do as a team when we have so many other glaring deficiencies on this roster. We need to trade down, but if we don't, we need to take the BPA on either the offensive or defensive lines, which are the most glaring needs on this team right now. And since I agree so much with you about Jake Long not being far and away the best at his position, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston need to be the pick at number 1, that's the way I see it.
                I agree with everything you said in this post. There is no reason for Parcells to reach for a QB here. With Beck in the fold he needs to wait for the later rounds maybe even in the early third and see if Joe Flacco falls to them. If he doesnt it's no big deal because we could always take a flyer on Erick Ainge in the 4th or 5th. I do beleive that this regime will draft here QB but i dont beleive it will be Matt Ryan with the 1st pick. Pick up a veteran like Todd Collins and have them all compete in camp and may the best QB win.

Comment

Parcells and Ireland have there eyes on Joe Flacco. He seems like the prototypical guy that these guys like. No pressure for him to come in right away and shine like it would be with the #1 pick of the draft.

Comment

I can see none of you have kept this thread open, but I see a trade happening, and wanted to get your reaction to it.

I can see Dallas' two first round picks, Bobby Carpenter, and probably other players for #1. It makes sense for these reason:

1) Parcells will run a 3-4, sooner or later. He needs players.
                    2) Carpenter fits the bill as either a 3-4 or 4-3 player.
                    3) Carpenter is still very young and has talent.
                    4) Dallas just signed Zach Thomas and Drafted Anthony Spencer last year. Carpenter is expendable.
                    5) Parcells drafted Carpenter, and he is a "Parcells" guy.
                    6) Without paying #1 pick money, you could spend the money in free agency, making the team more competitive now.
                    7) This seems to me to be a good draft to have later first round picks.
                    8) Jerry loves Arkansas.
                    9) No one player in the draft will make yall much better than you already are.

Yall would have three of the first 32 picks after the trade. That is rebuilding, right there...

It makes sense to me. Yea, we might have have to throw in a few other players. Not sure who that would consist of, but we have the talent to trade some of them.

Any feedback yall can give would be appreciated...
                    I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

I'm buying Matt Ryan right now if we stay at one.

As for the trade, I see both 1s and Barber being in it if it happens. I'd like to have Carpenter in the trade as well, but his value isn't going to make up for Barber's.

That is correct comahan
                      I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                      <3 dg

Comment

Jake long please

I think Chris long is very over-rated on these forums

Comment

I can see none of you have kept this thread open, but I see a trade happening, and wanted to get your reaction to it.

I can see Dallas' two first round picks, Bobby Carpenter, and probably other players for #1. It makes sense for these reason:

4) Dallas just signed Zach Thomas and Drafted Anthony Spencer last year. Carpenter is expendable.
                          6) Without paying #1 pick money, you could spend the money in free agency, making the team more competitive now.
                          8) Jerry loves Arkansas.

Yall would have three of the first 32 picks after the trade. That is rebuilding, right there...

It makes sense to me. Yea, we might have have to throw in a few other players. Not sure who that would consist of, but we have the talent to trade some of them.

2 1st and spears makes more sense for us personally if barber was not part of it. He fits our needs and you all couldeasily fill in for his loss.

Comment

8) Jerry loves Arkansas.

Outside of the obvious Miami gets more picks and Carpenter is a Parcells guy, that list is 199 percetn from teh Dallas point of view and why it makes sense for them. Not really necessary on a Dolphins board.

Anyway tho, I doubt this trade gets made with just two 1sts, and a couple of players. They would have to be pretty high level players. If you were to take a 500 discount (equal to a 2 RD pick) from the TVC, the Cowboys would still need to give up 3 1sts and a later pick jus to get it close.

They aren't gonna do that so giving up both 1sts, a guy worth something (ex. Barber, Canty, Spencer) and another later pick (4th RD?) is round about where the deal should fall.

Giving up a package of both 1sts, Spears and Carpenter isn't gonna get it done at this point I wouldn't think. Spears and Parcells have a vad relationship and Carpenter isn't worth a damn thing right now even if he is a Parcells guy (BTW. half the league are Parcells guys so who cares). He's been a bust and not worth more then a low round pick at this point.

A deal of both 1sts, Barber and a 4th would be perfect.

A deal of both 1sts, Spears and Carpenter is leaning way heavily towards the Cowboys.

Wonder if they meet somewhere in the middle?

Maybe both 1sts, a 3rd and Doug Free?

Comment

I want to stay at number one, or number 3 if we make a trade with ATL because of Ryan, and take Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. That is my favorite option right now.

Option number 2 for me would be Trade #1 to Dallas for #22, #28, Marion Barber, and Bobby Carpenter. I think that would work. I really only would want that if we signed Calvin Pace, because I want Chris Long or Vernon Gholston pretty badly at this point. Pace would ease me on both of them a little and would make a trade ok in my mind. Unless we traded Taylor after signing Pace, then I would still want CL or VG.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this thing plays out.

Comment

Cmon guys lets get real here. I know there is some real deep infatuation with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston but if Calvin Pace signs for 20 Mil plus guaranteed then we need to start looking elsewhere in the draft. We will be loaded at the 3-4 OLB position even with a trade of Jason Taylor. Another thing is Chris Long will not be a 3-4 DE either as he is vastly undersized for that in the pros. Bill just signed a guy in Randy Starks who played 3-4 end for Maryland who is freakin 6'3 312 pounds.

OLB Calvin Pace
                                OLB Joey Porter
                                OLB Reggie Torbor
                                OLB Matt Roth
                                OLB Abraham Wright
                                OLB Jason Taylor (Possible trade bait)

And please stop with the talk of Long playing ILB or Pace playing ILB. You dont pay all this money to have these guys play ILB. You pay them to get to the QB. Releasing Porter seems like a stretch after giving him 20 million in guarantees. I dont think Huizenga wants to admit just yet that he just wasted all that money. Torbor was an undersized DE at Auburn so he may be a nice role player off the bench. The guy too look out for is Matt Roth. At 6'3 270 and experience playing both LB and DE in college is a natural fit at the 3-4. Let alone a nice project player in Wright. The pick is going to come down too QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long. I dont think anybody is going to trade up. But if Atlanta is dead set on Ryan then we have them by the ballz now because Chris Long is no longer a lock to us. If we can squeeze them then the draft will fall like this

1. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan

2. St. Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Miami - OT Jake Long

or

1. Miami- OT Jake Long or QB Matt Ryan

2. St.Louis- DE Chris Long

3. Atlanta- QB Matt Ryan or OT Jake Long
                                Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information