Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gholston to Miami talk!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gholston to Miami talk!!

    "There is currently talk that Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston could potentially go 1st Overall to the Dolphins. Gholston had a great private workout with the Dolphins and is a Bill Parcells type of guy. Remember, when Parcells coached the Giants, he had Lawrence Taylor. He reportedly thinks that his next LT could possibly be Gholston. They still really like Chris Long, however. Overall, Gholston has really raised his stock in the last month and is looking like could be off the board within the first two picks, as St. Louis is also very high on him."

    I can't post the link since it came from another draft site and that could potentially get me banned. However it's a pretty interesting read so PM me if you want the article.

    I would love for us to land Gholston. At this point, I think he has a good lead on being my favorite choice for our number 1 pick.

  • #2
    I said he would be our pick a while back, and most people called it way too much of a reach. But look where we are now. I have cooled off on the stance since, because of all the Chris Long hype and connections that seem to be there for him, working in his favor. But I could start climbing back onto the VG 2 Miami bandagon as it gets closer to the draft.

    I hate all the Jake Long and Matt Ryan talk as well, forget about them... neither one will be our pick and I just wish people will start realizing that! It will be either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, period!

    Joey, if you could pm me that link please, that would be great, i'd love to check it out!

    Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

    Comment


    • #3
      I still like Jake Long to be the pick. Just as much as you like Gholston to be the pick. You have your argument I have mine. The caption you posted was from a Blog at draft headquarters. While listenting to 790 the ticket today it was confirmed that the Dolphins brass (Meaning everyone) have scheduled private meetings per there agents with Chris Long,Matt Ryan, and Jake Long. Now Paul Pasqualoni did have a private dinner meeting with Gholston but from what I hear he was the only one present at that meeting. If the Phins are interested in drafting him shouldnt Ireland,Sparano, and Parcells have been present at this dinner meeting. And why wouldnt they bring him in again for another private workout in front of the full brass much like the two Long's and Ryan. Gholston has even been quoted as saying he might be a better fit with his hand down in a 4-3. The knock on him is stiff hips and might not be a viable coverage guy in the 3-4. His measurables look like a 3-4 OLB but his play correlates more into a 4-3. I know he prefer's the 4-3 but I have also seen where he has stated that if he had to make the move to a 3-4 then he would do it. I actually think he would be a great fit for the Rams at #2 who run a version of a 4-3 hybrid defense.


      March 7: Ohio State

      Vernon Gholston comes off a strong Combine showing and will be a headliner for the Buckeyes’ workout in Columbus.

      Gholston’s play in 2007 didn’t warrant mention as an elite prospect, but he stunned observers at the Indianapolis workouts and got a major boost in his draft stock.

      Most teams using 4-3 defensive schemes see Gholston as an end; 3-4 teams see him as a rush linebacker. Gholston prefers to play end but must prove his athleticism and intelligence during linebacker workouts. This will be a crucial day for his draft stock, especially if he wants to stay high on 3-4 teams’ draft boards.

      "I love playing defensive end. I love getting after the quarterback and affecting the game that way."

      "I know how big the defensive line is (to teams in the NFL)," Gholston said. "If you got a front four that can control the game you're destined for championships. That was proven (in the Super Bowl). The way (the Giants) were able to take advantage of their speed and get to the quarterback (proved it)."


      This is from an article posted today from realfootball365

      "Facts and Myths about the Miami Dolphins"

      5. Miami has scheduled private meetings with all of the top candidates in the draft. MYTH. To date, Miami has scheduled private meetings with Ryan, Chris Long and Jake Long. According to their agents, no such meetings have been scheduled with McFadden, Vernon Gholston, Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.
      Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        "There is currently talk that Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston could potentially go 1st Overall to the Dolphins. Gholston had a great private workout with the Dolphins and is a Bill Parcells type of guy. Remember, when Parcells coached the Giants, he had Lawrence Taylor. He reportedly thinks that his next LT could possibly be Gholston. They still really like Chris Long, however. Overall, Gholston has really raised his stock in the last month and is looking like could be off the board within the first two picks, as St. Louis is also very high on him."

        I can't post the link since it came from another draft site and that could potentially get me banned. However it's a pretty interesting read so PM me if you want the article.

        I would love for us to land Gholston. At this point, I think he has a good lead on being my favorite choice for our number 1 pick.
        Joe,

        At this point, a lot of misinformation is out there. I would hope that they consider him because he is the guy who I think can make the biggest impact for them. Tuna and crew have closed lips so right now I do not believe anything...

        I have felt for a while that Gholston would move up the board post-combine and it appears that is the case. I just wish there was a way to move down a little bit and still get him. You never know. 38 days til we find out....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
          I still like Jake Long to be the pick. Just as much as you like Gholston to be the pick. You have your argument I have mine. The caption you posted was from a Blog at draft headquarters. While listenting to 790 the ticket today it was confirmed that the Dolphins brass (Meaning everyone) have scheduled private meetings per there agents with Chris Long,Matt Ryan, and Jake Long. Now Paul Pasqualoni did have a private dinner meeting with Gholston but from what I hear he was the only one present at that meeting. If the Phins are interested in drafting him shouldnt Ireland,Sparano, and Parcells have been present at this dinner meeting. And why wouldnt they bring him in again for another private workout in front of the full brass much like the two Long's and Ryan. Gholston has even been quoted as saying he might be a better fit with his hand down in a 4-3. The knock on him is stiff hips and might not be a viable coverage guy in the 3-4. His measurables look like a 3-4 OLB but his play correlates more into a 4-3. I know he prefer's the 4-3 but I have also seen where he has stated that if he had to make the move to a 3-4 then he would do it. I actually think he would be a great fit for the Rams at #2 who run a version of a 4-3 hybrid defense.


          March 7: Ohio State

          Vernon Gholston comes off a strong Combine showing and will be a headliner for the Buckeyes’ workout in Columbus.

          Gholston’s play in 2007 didn’t warrant mention as an elite prospect, but he stunned observers at the Indianapolis workouts and got a major boost in his draft stock.

          Most teams using 4-3 defensive schemes see Gholston as an end; 3-4 teams see him as a rush linebacker. Gholston prefers to play end but must prove his athleticism and intelligence during linebacker workouts. This will be a crucial day for his draft stock, especially if he wants to stay high on 3-4 teams’ draft boards.

          "I love playing defensive end. I love getting after the quarterback and affecting the game that way."

          "I know how big the defensive line is (to teams in the NFL)," Gholston said. "If you got a front four that can control the game you're destined for championships. That was proven (in the Super Bowl). The way (the Giants) were able to take advantage of their speed and get to the quarterback (proved it)."


          This is from an article posted today from realfootball365

          "Facts and Myths about the Miami Dolphins"

          5. Miami has scheduled private meetings with all of the top candidates in the draft. MYTH. To date, Miami has scheduled private meetings with Ryan, Chris Long and Jake Long. According to their agents, no such meetings have been scheduled with McFadden, Vernon Gholston, Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.
          Blue,

          Right now I think they are playing games with trying to get a buzz going for the pick. Better to show interest in some guys, even if they have no intention of making that pick to try and drum up trade value.

          My preference is for Gholston, but unlike some others on the BB, I am not drastically opposed to Jake Long. I would still prefer Gholston, but for me, the 2 Longs are a virtual tie at this point. By draft day, I might even lean towards Jake.... Hell, maybe I lean towards McFadden!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not drasitically opposed to Jake Long at all. I just don't feel he is as good a pick as Gholston or Chris Long at this point. Jake is number 3 on my board behind Vernon and Chris.

            I don't think there is a way to trade down and get Gholston, I think whoever gets him will need to stay at number 1 to nab him because I think St. Louis is taking him at number 2 no questions asked.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
              I'm not drasitically opposed to Jake Long at all. I just don't feel he is as good a pick as Gholston or Chris Long at this point. Jake is number 3 on my board behind Vernon and Chris.

              I don't think there is a way to trade down and get Gholston, I think whoever gets him will need to stay at number 1 to nab him because I think St. Louis is taking him at number 2 no questions asked.
              Joe,

              No offense meant by what I said.. Just pointed out that you and some others are more opposed to J. Long than most. We all want the same thing which is success for this team..... I totally agree about Gholston, not totally sure about C Long for me.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
                Joe,

                No offense meant by what I said.. Just pointed out that you and some others are more opposed to J. Long than most. We all want the same thing which is success for this team..... I totally agree about Gholston, not totally sure about C Long for me.....
                I'm not totally opposed to Jake Long as a possible pick. Just not at number 1. IMO, he just is not worth that at all and I would much rather have Gholston or Chris Long, who are far less likely to be busts I feel.

                If the situation arose that we traded with Atlanta to #3, and they happened to take Gholston by surprise, then St. Louis took Chris, I wouldn't mind taking Jake at all.

                For the record, this is how my list goes as for my order of who I like with the #1 pick:

                1) Vernon Gholston
                2) Chris Long
                3) Jake Long
                4) Sedrick Ellis
                5) Darren McFadden

                Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am not apposed to Gholston either and I am not going to differ with anyone's opinion on him because you may be spot on with him. I like Jake Long not because I am an overall huge fan of him but that he fits such a glaring hole on this team. As the #2 rated player on most expert and scout player rankings and our desperate need for an offensive lineman I see him making the most sense at this time. With only one viable starter in Carey we are going to need to draft more then one lineman. I dont see us having the luxary in waiting until the second round and hope that Baker,Collins, or Nicks are the answer. Just my opinion though of course.

                  Jake Long would give us a solid young offensive line and a leader in the trenches to bookend with Carey. I would be down on him if the scouts gave me a reason to be down on him but I have heard nothing but rave reviews about him. If it's justifiable by many for the Rams to take him at #2 then is it really a stretch to predict him going one more slot ahead???? I love the potential of both Chris Long and Vernon Gholston but I think at this time we really need to focus on protecting our QB's with the best offensive lineman we can get our hands on.

                  We cant afford to grab a project in the second round and hope he pans out. We need a sure thing to plug in from day one. We all are assuming that Taylor is going to be dealt but he is still currently on the roster, so if that is the case then Porter plays on the other side. We also have some youth projects already on the roster to back them up. It really isnt necessarliy a position of need as is getting more ILB for the 3-4then OLB. I could live with Porter and Taylor for another year and draft one next year.

                  We could even trade Taylor at the deadline if a player like Quentin Moses surprises behind Taylor. Looking over many rosters and it will be hard for anyone to find a 3-4 OLB that has been taken really high. Most sucessfull 3-4 OLB's in the NFL have been taken in the later rounds because they are labeled tweeners. They play DE in college but are too small to handle it in the pros but makes them very valuable on the outside. Look at how succesfull teams like the Steelers and Patriots have been without drafting a 3-4 OLB in the upper rounds. Okay I am done ranting hope you guys atleast enjoy the blog fodder wether good or bad.
                  Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 03-19-2008, 07:46 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    BBC, I don't think many on here differ on how we view Chris, Jake or Vernon as players. I'm sure we would everyone here would love to have any of them.

                    Where we differ is on what direction the team should take. You want Jake because he fills the biggest need. I want Vernon or Chris because I think they are the best player. I would mind having Jake but I don't think he's the best player in the draft. I think Vernon and Chris are the 2 best. When picking number 1 give me the best overall talent. We need as much of it as we can get. And it's not like we don't need help at every position on the field.

                    Not to mention there are solid OTs later in the draft but outside of Gholston and C Long all you have is Groves and Avril and that's about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
                      Looking over many rosters and it will be hard for anyone to find a 3-4 OLB that has been taken really high.
                      The 3 best, Merriman, Ware and Kameron Wimbley were all top 15 picks. The really good 3-4 OLB do get taken at fairly high slots because they have such a unique skill set that it is hard to find. You can get a bunch of average ones in the late rounds but to find a real stud 3-4 OLB you have to draft one high because the good players at that position are a premium and get taken early.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                        The 3 best, Merriman, Ware and Kameron Wimbley were all top 15 picks. The really good 3-4 OLB do get taken at fairly high slots because they have such a unique skill set that it is hard to find. You can get a bunch of average ones in the late rounds but to find a real stud 3-4 OLB you have to draft one high because the good players at that position are a premium and get taken early.
                        I was going more towards top 5 but those guys that you mentioned are bad assesss.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey Joey I am also starting to waver on the idea of taking a QB high with that second round pick. With everything that I am hearing about Beck I think we really need to give him a shot. Have McCown and him battle it out. Maybe take a late round flyer at QB like Erick Ainge to be a 3rd stringer.

                          OT Jake Long
                          OG Branden Alberts
                          ILB Curtis Lofton
                          TE John Carlson

                          This is looking like what I want with our top 4 picks barring no trades. Reminds me of the 1990 draft we when took Webb and Sims.

                          LT Jake Long LG Branden Alberts C Samson Satele RG Justin Smiley RT Vernon Carey

                          That line would be sooooo sick!
                          Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Personally, I hope it happens.

                            I've expressed my view previously that I want Gholston to go to Miami and Long to go to the Rams.

                            I think both players would have the most success in those respective systems (a hybrid 3-4 in Miami and a traditional 4-3 in St. Louis).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
                              Hey Joey I am also starting to waver on the idea of taking a QB high with that second round pick. With everything that I am hearing about Beck I think we really need to give him a shot. Have McCown and him battle it out. Maybe take a late round flyer at QB like Erick Ainge to be a 3rd stringer.

                              OT Jake Long
                              OG Branden Alberts
                              ILB Curtis Lofton
                              TE John Carlson

                              This is looking like what I want with our top 4 picks barring no trades. Reminds me of the 1990 draft we when took Webb and Sims.

                              LT Jake Long LG Branden Alberts C Samson Satele RG Justin Smiley RT Vernon Carey

                              That line would be sooooo sick!

                              I've love to get 2 OL out of our top 4 picks. But with that said, I don't think there's any way we leave round 2 without a QB. Beck will be given a shot but it's been reported a bunch of times that McCown isn't given a shot to start. He is strictly a backup. Supposed we are looking at both Henne and Flacco in round 2. That's what I'm hearing.

                              Anyway, I agree I'd rather wait to see which QB falls to our low round 2 pick as I think it's safe to say Henne will likely be around then and there's still a chance Flacco falls althought that's doubtful. Henne is definately 3rd on my list of QBs in the draft behind Flacco and Brohm. I'm not a Matt Ryan fan at all. I think he's the 4th QB in the draft.

                              Anyways I'd be thrilled if we went like this:

                              1-Vernon Gholston, OLB
                              2a- Sam Baker, LT (really think he could be a Marcus McNeill but I'm not sure Tuna like him)
                              2b- Chad Henne, QB
                              3- Eric Young, LG

                              Leaving our OL:
                              LT- Sam Baker
                              LG- Eric Young
                              C- Samson Satele
                              RG- Justin Smiley
                              RT- Vernon Carey

                              Very solid young OL for us and we still get what is IMO the drafts best player and our defense rock for the next 15 years. Plus a QB to battle it out with Beck. Between Beck and Henne, one is bound to work out and settle the position for a bunch of years.

                              Then in round 4 we can look at CB. And with our last 4 picks I'd go with another 2 more OTs, a NT, and a developmental WR.

                              Problem with your picks are that Branden Albert is a lock 1st rounder and will never drop to number 32 overall. And Curtis Lofton is 6 foot even. I'll check the records but in his entire career in the NFL, Parcells has never ever drafted a LB that short. He'll be looking at Erin Henderson, Jonathan Goff and maybe a Tavares Gooden if the other guys are gone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information