Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For BBC (And all other Jake Long to Miami supporters)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For BBC (And all other Jake Long to Miami supporters)

Just found this in Armando Salguero's blog on the Miami Herald website, titled: Dolphins in Depth

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/

It is the last entry on this page so you have to scroll down quite a bit.

Written on Friday, March 14th

Dolphins not paying great attention to Jake Long

Just got off the phone with a source who was at Jake Long's pro day today in Michigan.

For those of you excited about him being the possible first overall pick to the Dolphins ... I would chill on that idea.

The Dolphins had one representative at the workout today. The St. Louis Rams, who pick second in the draft and believe they have to find someone to replace Orlando Pace, had about a dozen pairs of eyes on Long's work.

[SATURDAY UPDATE: As has been the talk on this thread, Long will work for the Dolphins in a private screening, so to speak. So will Matt Ryan, so will Chris Long and perhaps others. That of itself is not an indication Miami will pick him.]

Long did not run Friday. He simply did position-related drills. If you're a Dolphins fan, it shouldn't matter what he did. He is not the pick.

Look, this is a good draft for offensive tackles. The Dolphins have a need in that they don't have a right tackle. If you believe they're moving Vernon Carey back to right tackle, something the Dolphins have not confirmed, they don't have a left tackle.

But the fact is they can still draft a tackle with the first pick of the second round and fill the position. The fact is they can live with Carey at LT and let the rookie play RT. The fact is this deep tackle class might offer a LT in the second round. The fact is Bill Parcells has not traditionally spent high picks on offensive linemen.

The fact is if Tony Sparano is as good a line coach as everyone says, they can find a diamond in the rough after the first pick and turn him into a diamond on the line. The fact is Jake Long, for all his gifts, is not a No. 1 overall pick type of talent.

By the way, Long is still a pretty good player. He was penalized for a holding once as a redshirt freshman and had one false start as a senior. But that didn't mean he didn't cheat a little.

“Absolutely. I’ll admit that I hold,” Long said with a laugh at the first day of the NFL scouting combine last month. “I’ll get my hands inside and hide it that I’m holding.”

The Rams will be thrilled. Your thoughts?

Doesn't sound like we are real interested, compared to some of the other prospects out there. I know this is not REAL definitive, but it is SOMETHING.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

it is an opinion piece by him but that is what he often does if you follow his writing.

I can see his points but I dont feel Chris long is near a number 1 overall talent and Jake long's talent and potential is far better still then Chris'

Comment

Originally posted by Finsfan79 View Post
      it is an opinion piece by him but that is what he often does if you follow his writing.

I can see his points but I dont feel Chris long is near a number 1 overall talent and Jake long's talent and potential is far better still then Chris'
      Is that a joke? Jake Long isn't even a complete player, he will be a RT in the NFL, probably a pretty good one, but would be a very average LT. Chris Long can play about every position on the defensive line, plus outside linebacker and play it very well, at a VERY HIGH level. He is the safest pick in the draft, if I was to go another direction I would say Gholston has far more potential than Jake too. Who's the only person Jake couldn't stop in his career? Vernon Gholston. And he will have to play against elite talent like that every week. People tend not to make a big deal about that, which is a HUGE mistake. I'm happy for him that he was able to dominate all the other average college DE's, but when he went against Gholston, an NFL calibre DE, he got abused. The pick has to be Chris Long or Gholston, anything else would be a mistake, especially Jake Long.

Comment

Thanks for the post Bow but I read that article the day It came out. I even post on Armando's blog. It was just an opinion and the dude doesnt have connections worth squat. He didnt even know that the Phins had a private workout scheduled for him until someone brought it to his attention. His so called source advised him that the Phins only had two scouts there but failed to mention that there is a private workout already scheduled for him where the entire brass will put him through there own workout. There was no need for them to be there since they already evaluted him at the combine and knew he wasnt going to be doing much. I do appreciate the headline on the blog though made out to me :-) made me feel special thanks. HAHAHAHA

Comment

People posting on his blog made him feel soooo stupid that he had to post a saturday update to his garbage opinion.

Comment

We are missing our entire left side of an offensive line. We are probably going to have two young QB's and a journeyman. I dont think there is anyway we make it out of the 1st round without taking an offensive lineman. Especially with them projecting to take QB in the 2nd round. Wether it's Jake Long or a trade down for Ryan Clady...One of them has to be the pick. Trade seeming unlikely at this point so Jake Long is still going to be my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
              And he will have to play against elite talent like that every week. People tend not to make a big deal about that, which is a HUGE mistake. I'm happy for him that he was able to dominate all the other average college DE's, but when he went against Gholston, an NFL calibre DE, he got abused. The pick has to be Chris Long or Gholston, anything else would be a mistake, especially Jake Long.
              Giving up one sack means getting abused? And by "average college DEs" you mean guys um, I don't know, Anthony Spencer? Derrick Harvey? Lawrence Jackson? Tamba Hali? Jonal Saint-Dic? Brian Robison? Tim Crowder? Because Long played against all of those mediocre DEs, and shut them all down.

Ryan Clady gave up 8-9 sacks this year, but I don't hear anyone questioning his ability to play LT. What's with the Long hate?

Comment

I cant even tell you where all this Long hate comes from. He ranks as the #2 rated player in this draft on many boards either behind the likes of Darren McFadden or Chris Long but yet everyone says how slow he will be or how he is type casted as a RT. Now dont get me wrong if we didnt have just one offensive tackle on the roster I would be all for getting C. Long or Gholston. But the fact is we need to protect the QB and we need to grab the best offensive lineman on the board. Jake Long can easily be justified as being the #1 pick much like everyone easily justifies him going #2 to the Rams.
                Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
                  I cant even tell you where all this Long hate comes from. He ranks as the #2 rated player in this draft on many boards either behind the likes of Darren McFadden or Chris Long but yet everyone says how slow he will be or how he is type casted as a RT. Now dont get me wrong if we didnt have just one offensive tackle on the roster I would be all for getting C. Long or Gholston. But the fact is we need to protect the QB and we need to grab the best offensive lineman on the board. Jake Long can easily be justified as being the #1 pick much like everyone easily justifies him going #2 to the Rams.
                  Yes Long had a better college career then Clady. No questions asked. Long was a stud in college. However, the players are picked in the draft based on their upside for the future just as much as for their play in college. Jake Long is a stud but does he have as much of a ceiling as Clady? I have my doubts. Also while Long did protect against some very solid DE in his days at UM, I also don't think he ever had to go against a Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Osi Umenyora or Jerad Allen. Those are the type of guys that Jake will face at the next level. Who knows how he handles that.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jake will be a solid starting LT in the NFL. But with the number 1 pick, I don't want a solid starting LT. I want a Walter Jones. And while I would be ok with a Flozell Adams type, a guy who makes a few Pro Bowls and is good thru his entire career, I'm not sure Jake can even reach that level at LT. I see him having a Matt Light type of career, and Matt Light is not a number 1 type of pick in anyway shape or form in my eyes. He's solid and dependable but he has his lapses and struggles at times. That's what I think we'll see out of Jake Long at LT.

With Clady, I see differently. He's not a sure bet to have a solid career like Jake is. He could end up being a big bust because he does need some work. But I think he has the potential to be a Flozell Adams or Bryant McKinnie. He can turn into one of the leagues best OT and make a few Pro Bowls. He's my favorite OT in this draft and I think he has much better upside and a much better return on our investment. I'd be ok with either of those guys in the 3-8 range tho and we really can't go wrong either way, but I'm not sure I like either of them enough to take them number 1 overall.

With all that said, I wouldn't take Jake Long at number 1 overall, but it's definately not the worst pick we could make.

Comment

joey I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree :)

Personally most folks on here know by now that I have wanted for a few years now to see that oline built up. I feel it is one of the fundamental flaws of the team that it has been continously dressed over.

Now I will concede even though this opinion piece doesnt really talk much of it that traditionally parcells takes defense first.

If you look at his draft history he will rarely take the offensive player in the first round, he would rather take the defense.

Imo Chris long is another Matt Roth a nice player for the 4-3 system but in the 3-4 system he would be out of place. He will need to fit himself to the system (aka dropping the weight which helps him get the leverage) and then you need to "project him" to that position as he is not a 3-4 standup and coverage able OLB in college.

If we are assuming we dont trade down the pick has 2 players it must be Gholston or Jake Long.

in my eyes Jake Long is the pick that is smarter in this instance. I feel he is a legit number 1 left tackle that could be an anchor for the next decade for us. Our next richmond Webb

Comment

it should be noted as well that every superbowl this franchise has been to has had a HoF Olineman upon the line.

It is not merely a coincidence

Comment

Originally posted by Finsfan79 View Post
                        it should be noted as well that every superbowl this franchise has been to has had a HoF Olineman upon the line.

It is not merely a coincidence
                        Yes, but I sincerely doubt Jake Long will be a HOFer. That is the point here, most think he is NOT worth the top pick in this draft, solely because he will never be an ELITE NFL Left Tacle. This guy is no Richmond Webb, and to even put him in the same company is disgraceful. He will not be our pick, just forget about it, Parcells is smarter than that.

Comment

I think I will let the scouts and GM's for the fins decide whom is best for there. There are plenty out there that feel he is worth the top pick and is an elite talent.

Comment

Here's a fun fact. Since 1970, there has only been 1 OL drafted number 1 overall (Orlando Pace). There has only been 2 OL drafted number overall in the modern era starting in 1936.

On the flip side, there have been 6 DEs drafted number 1 overall since 1970.

Quaterback is far and away the most often drafted position at number 1 overall but DE is tied with RB for the 2nd most drafted position.

The only position that gets drafted less at number 1 overall then OL is DB.

It's pretty clear that history shows OT does not hold good value at the top of drafts. Pass rushers on the other hand have more value then just about every other spot on the field.

Given Parcells history of taking OL later in drafts, his history of taking Defense early and often and the history of the NFL for valuing Pass Rushers over OTs, I think it's pretty safe to say that Jake Long will not be the number 1 pick.

Not to mention, Jake Long is not the best player in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                              Here's a fun fact. Since 1970, there has only been 1 OL drafted number 1 overall (Orlando Pace). There has only been 2 OL drafted number overall in the modern era starting in 1936.

On the flip side, there have been 6 DEs drafted number 1 overall since 1970.

Quaterback is far and away the most often drafted position at number 1 overall but DE is tied with RB for the 2nd most drafted position.

The only position that gets drafted less at number 1 overall then OL is DB.

It's pretty clear that history shows OT does not hold good value at the top of drafts. Pass rushers on the other hand have more value then just about every other spot on the field.

Given Parcells history of taking OL later in drafts, his history of taking Defense early and often and the history of the NFL for valuing Pass Rushers over OTs, I think it's pretty safe to say that Jake Long will not be the number 1 pick.

Not to mention, Jake Long is not the best player in this draft.
                              Thank you. Finally... some good info there for all these Jake Long lovers. He wont be the pick, get over it already guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information