Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saints Offseason Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Saints Offseason Thread

    Post all Free Agent Signings,Rumors, Releases, & Re-Signings here!

    The Saints might not be able to afford cornerback Nate Clements or linebacker Adalius Thomas, two of the premier defensive free agents. But they said they will explore the possibilities. Other options they will likely pursue include linebacker Donnie Edwards and cornerback Nick Harper.
    Source: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...l=1&thispage=2
    Last edited by diabsoule; 03-06-2007, 11:53 PM.



    Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

  • #2
    Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

    I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

    Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.
    Last edited by UtepMiner; 02-25-2007, 07:54 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Auron View Post
      Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

      I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

      Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.
      I agree with you, man. I'd rather us go after a young, promising guy in FA or draft a few good guys.

      Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

      Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

      Comment


      • #4
        Fletcher stays hurt.

        Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Acreboy View Post
          Fletcher stays hurt.

          Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.
          I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

          http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

          I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.
          Last edited by UtepMiner; 02-25-2007, 10:40 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Auron View Post
            I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

            http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

            I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.
            That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

            Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

            Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
              That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

              I know I'm not in the majority here, but I don't know if we need to go after Donnie Edwards. He's no spring chicken, and I feel like we can always draft a better replacement for Mark Simoneau in the Draft.

              Sig by jkpigskin

              SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

              WHO DAT? TWO DAT!


              Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

              Comment


              • #8
                I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress). With his 40 time and his hands being as good as they are he might be considered if there is no defensive player worth the pick

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UtepMiner View Post
                  I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

                  http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

                  I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.
                  The Redskins have a deal with everyone once FA starts...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeangeloHall4President View Post
                    I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress).
                    I can almost agree with that. I'd like to see us taking the best LB/DB/DT available in the 1st round, but if we could get a steal in a WR or TE that would be good too.



                    Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

                      Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.
                      The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

                      Sig by jkpigskin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                        Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

                        Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.
                        Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

                        “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

                          Danny Clark's sure didn't.
                          The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

                          Sig by jkpigskin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                            Danny Clark's sure didn't.
                            Well for some reason the staff was reluctant to give him major playing time, probably because he was never fully up to date on the Defensive calls until after training camp. I'd still like to see him re-signed (for cheap)he was good in goal line situations and would be an excellent back up.

                            With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Auron View Post
                              With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.
                              Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.
                              The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

                              Sig by jkpigskin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information