Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And that last sentence is an assumption that worries me. If he can come back health after 2 hips and an elbow injury. We are hoping that his old 32 year old frame at this point can hold up and he magically be the Chris snee we know.

Those are the questions I worry about and I think management is risking it thinking that Snee can come back and be a solid player.

Comment

• Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
      And that last sentence is an assumption that worries me. If he can come back health after 2 hips and an elbow injury. We are hoping that his old 32 year old frame at this point can hold up and he magically be the Chris snee we know.

Those are the questions I worry about and I think management is risking it thinking that Snee can come back and be a solid player.
      That is why he majorly needs to drop his salary, probably in the order of Diehl last year ($1m salary), then he costs around the same as a cheaper replacement.

Comment

• Im gunna go out on a whim here and say that we will likely be targeting Jermichael Finley in FA for a cheap contract.

From what we have done recently, I believe we will take precautions and test out his body and such, but hes a guy that is very familiar with McAdoo and our players (friends w Rolle) and I think he fits what we want financially/talent-wise because we cannot afford to payday but rather take a high risk/reward guy.

Edit:

I hope we still have some money left in the bank to sign at least one of Asamoah, Saffold, or Beadles. I doubt we can afford to get Mack now. But as far as our own FA's we need Beason back badly. Also in order to afford these players I think the majority of you are right we need to let linval walk unfortunately and pray that hank develops.
        Last edited by BaLLiN; 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• here is my take on what will happen this free agency
          Snee, Baas and Kiwanuka take pay cuts
          Rolle signs 1 year extension

Nicks and Joseph leave in free agency (possible comp pick?)

Resign Beason, Tuck, S Brown, Thomas or McBride, Patterson, J Brown, Pascoe, Paysinger, Herzlich, maybe A Brown

Signings

WR James Jones (Packers)
          TE Scott Chandler (Bills)
          RB Maurice Jones Drew (Jaguars), Toby Gerhardt (Vikings) or James Starks (Packers)
          G Jon Asamoah (Chiefs) or Geoff Schwartz (Chiefs)
          C Evan Dietrich-Smith (Packers)
          CB Sam Shields (Packers), Alterraun Verner (Titans) or Captain Munnerlyn (Panthers)

Comment

• Originally posted by Big_Pete View Post
            here is my take on what will happen this free agency
            Snee, Baas and Kiwanuka take pay cuts
            Rolle signs 1 year extension

Nicks and Joseph leave in free agency (possible comp pick?)

Resign Beason, Tuck, S Brown, Thomas or McBride, Patterson, J Brown, Pascoe, Paysinger, Herzlich, maybe A Brown

Signings

WR James Jones (Packers)
            TE Scott Chandler (Bills)
            RB Maurice Jones Drew (Jaguars), Toby Gerhardt (Vikings) or James Starks (Packers)
            G Jon Asamoah (Chiefs) or Geoff Schwartz (Chiefs)
            C Evan Dietrich-Smith (Packers)
            CB Sam Shields (Packers), Alterraun Verner (Titans) or Captain Munnerlyn (Panthers)

Good lord. I would ask Baas, Snee and Kiwi to take pay cuts. Rolle extend because he is productive and a leader to 1-2 years. I would re-sign LinJo.

No Jones
            No Chandlers
            I would like Rashad Jennings if hits the market. If not, then draft an RB. None of those you have interest me.

I would focus in one of those guards.

Re-sign Beason, Thomas and McBride, Paysinger, and see what Andre Brown wants. If he is too much, let him go and hit the draft, and undrafted FAs.

Comment

• If the Giants don't sign a corner, and are able to address multiple OL positions in FA, I'd give heavy consideration to Jason Verrett at No. 12 (or on a trade down would be even better).

As for those FA backs, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to any of them. MJD will cost more than he's worth though because of his name. I'd prefer cheaper options - Starks is from upstate NY too. Gerhart's actually pretty good. Jennings is fine too. Brown was way more average than I'd like for next year though.
              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Good lord. I would ask Baas, Snee and Kiwi to take pay cuts. Rolle extend because he is productive and a leader to 1-2 years. I would re-sign LinJo.

No Jones
                No Chandlers
                I would like Rashad Jennings if hits the market. If not, then draft an RB. None of those you have interest me.

I would focus in one of those guards.

Re-sign Beason, Thomas and McBride, Paysinger, and see what Andre Brown wants. If he is too much, let him go and hit the draft, and undrafted FAs.
                This is just the feeling of the general type of thing I think the front office is thinking; as always it comes down to price.

I would like to resign Linval Joseph, but I can't see it happening. I can see a team like the Raiders opening up their wallets. If we can use that money to help bring in a corner, that is a big plus.

Interesting point on Drew-Jones, he was rated the second best blocking RB by PFF. McAdoo has already said that is our priority. Bring him in to mentor Wilson, Brown, Cox and rookie.

Jones makes sense, he isn't going to cost a lot, will provide competition for Randle and Jernigan and also help transition to what McAdoo likes to do.

The Giants don't spend big on TEs and the top TEs are getting huge money we can't afford. The Packers also didn't feature their TE that much.
                I like Finley as an option, but I suspect he will get a fair bit of attention. A solid guy like Chandler could be a good value option that gets the job done, particularly if we brought Jake Ballard back as well.

Comment

• Well Big pete, youre very optimistic w many aspect, we cannot get a comp pick this year for any FA signed this year.

However I feel like we will be getting a comp pick in the 6th because the UFA's we signed had less production/salary than the players we let sign with other teams.

so...

Free Agency Predictions:

We have ~18.5 mil right now, I agree with the consensus that we ask Snee, Baas, Kiwi to take paycuts and extend Rolle to space out his cap number too. I didnt really crunch numbers, but I think we would have somewhere upwards of 24ish mil.

Retained FA's
                  Terrell Thomas 2 yr contract ~3 mil
                  Jon Beason 3 year contract ~9 mil
                  Aaron Ross 1 yr contract ~1 mil
                  Josh Brown 4 yr contract ~4.5 mil
                  Stevie Brown 1 yr contract ~1.5 mil
                  Andre Brown 2 yr contract ~ 4 mil

So estimating about 10 million for resigning, probably about 5.5 million for rookies. Thats 15.5 million right there. Leaves us with about 8.5 million to play with.

Free agents we target:
                  Jon Asamoah 5 yrs 16 mil
                  Jermichael Finley 2 yrs 3 mil
                  Eric Dietrich-Smith 5 yrs 13 mil
                  Malcolm Jenkins 2 yrs 4 mil

NFL Draft

1(trade back, there is a ton of value in this draft where we have need at OL, WR, CB, LB, RB get a mid/late 2nd) Bradley Roby CB Ohio St.
                  I just see this kid as an upper echelon athlete equipped to play cornerback so naturally. I know there are concerns about his technique, but playing the position you get beat from time to time, especially when you are trying to be a hero.

2. Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio St.
                  I absolutely love this guy and feel like hes perfect for our linebacking core of lighter, more active rather than stout players. Good leader as well.

2. Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama
                  Obviously question marks here, thats exactly why I feel he will be available still. Someone mentioned he is similar to Cordy Glenn, I see it and I believe he would be a good fit at guard for us or RT if we choose to ax beatty at LT for Pugh

3. Charles Sims RB West Virginia
                  Him and marion grice are the best receiving backs in this draft I feel (Dri Archer has speed but I feel like these two are the best at using route running to create separation). Sims reminds me a lot of Forte, but less strong.

Comment

• All that is well and good. But Eli is basically on a 2 year contract. Everyone is on a 2 year contract or less. So can play hypothetically 4-5 years but would it be on our team?

If we fail as a team the franchise could realistically fire TC and decide to let Elis contract expire. We very well could rip this whole offense and team apart.

Comment

All that is well and good. But Eli is basically on a 2 year contract. Everyone is on a 2 year contract or less. So can play hypothetically 4-5 years but would it be on our team?

If we fail as a team the franchise could realistically fire TC and decide to let Elis contract expire. We very well could rip this whole offense and team apart.
                      Definitely makes more sense to unload him while we can still get something for him. I know it's not going to happen but we should definitely be exploring trading him next offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
                        Definitely makes more sense to unload him while we can still get something for him. I know it's not going to happen but we should definitely be exploring trading him next offseason.

If that happens then you get rid of Coughlin so the new coach can pick his QB. Also, the offense probably gets gutted too.

Comment

If that happens then you get rid of Coughlin so the new coach can pick his QB. Also, the offense probably gets gutted too.
                          I'm not so sure. I like Nassib and I think one of the reasons McAdoo was hired over Sully was because of him. Nassib ran a west coast O at Syracuse, he'll be familiar with the terminology. And I think he compares favorably to Rodgers. Another year of learning behind Eli will be huge. I'm excited to see what we have developing there.

Comment

I'm not so sure. I like Nassib and I think one of the reasons McAdoo was hired over Sully was because of him. Nassib ran a west coast O at Syracuse, he'll be familiar with the terminology. And I think he compares favorably to Rodgers. Another year of learning behind Eli will be huge. I'm excited to see what we have developing there.
                            My suspicions were along these lines as well.

I really think the front office expect Nassib to be the future starter.

Comment

Well the thing about this that would be interesting to see if that he can beat out Eli . Its a clean slate for all QBs. If he can't beat Eli then show the staff he can be good. If the new HC doesn't like Nassib then that's something to see.

Comment

Well the thing about this that would be interesting to see if that he can beat out Eli . Its a clean slate for all QBs. If he can't beat Eli then show the staff he can be good. If the new HC doesn't like Nassib then that's something to see.
                                For me the question is not whether Nassib can beat out Eli.

The question is more about value and return on investment. Eli is 33 and has a relatively limited window of opportunity. He hasn't played well in a year and a half and has a very large salary cap number.

Can Eli, with this team, regain the kind of form that won him a pair of superbowl MVPs? Eli is very good, I just don't think he is the kind of guy who can carry a team by himself.

If there are any doubts about Eli's ability to get this offense sizzling, then it is reasonable to consider trade options and gain some return on investment which can be reinvested into the team. This would be dependent if it was considered that Nassb and Freeman can do an adequate job.

I know people talk about Coughlin hanging it up soon, but he will coach as long as he can, there is no reason to plan rosters around that possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information