Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Draft: What positions are we drafting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know specifics are kind of hard right now but lets say we end up in the bottom half of the draft again is there a chance that bsed on his production that Limas Sweed will be there after 20 or as of now is he a top 15? I love his size its something that would compliment Pennington well, but it seems like a dream I think he went back to be the number 1 reciever in the country. Who else do you guys like?
    QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

I personaly have a man crush on Jonathen Stewart. Ever since he came out of highschool. Thomas jones is getting kinda old, leon might never be a fulltime starter, and theres not much depth behind that.

Comment

to me, guys we may think are top 5 prospects right now are going to be 3rd rounders by the draft. i wont even begin to guess at individual players.

Comment

I think stuff like this is largely dependent on where we end up drafting and stuff like that, but at the same time I think you guys have hit on the main weaknesses on this team which will be probable positions that will be drafted.

Between the Oline and Dline I think is by far the weakest parts of our team. I would be shocked if the the majority of our early round picks don't weight more than 300lbs. DE, NT (maybe), RT, OG are all major areas of concern.

DE- Assuming Coleman wins the starting RDE spot (more than likely) then we will be starting 2 players who were prototypical 3-4 DEs 5-10 years ago. This meant being 6'3-6'5 285-295 lbs. Unfortunately todays prototypical 3-4 DE is much larger, 6'5-6'6 295-320 lbs, in order to effectively play against the larger Offensive linemen. I would say this is our biggest weakness, due to not commanding double teams at all, and not actively getting penetration. Though Coleman will be a big upgrade over Kimo so that will help. Looking at the model the pats have made, which we will likely follow, DE is a strong priority in the drafts (Seymour and Warren High first round picks). Dline is the most imortant part of a 3-4

NT- Robertson played well down the stretch this season, and if he has a strong season we could count this as a non-need. Though he is Very undersized for a 3-4 NT ( would prolly need another10-20 lbs to be a great size) Mangini has said he believes Robertson can reinvent the position, which could be the case. Having a smaller sized NT would make him less powerful against say the run but he would likely be able to get penetration better and could cause havok in pass rush situations. We'll see, but this could be a decently high priority(2-4 round pick), but it could also be a non-factor.

Oline- We need a RT and 2 OGs of better quality to be honest. I say that tentatively though since we will be returning all 5 starters from last season except perhaps Kendal(looking more likely that we will be missing him), but even so if we give moore and clement another year in the system they could suprise, so we'll see. I see whoever on the line has the weakest season could be looking for someother place to play and we could go after someone either in draft or FA. I cannot see us taking another first round Olineman with so many other areas that we need to improve, unless of course there is TREMENDOUS value where we are picking. I'd say more than likely a mid round pick will be used and/or a decent FA signing.

WR- Would be nice, but far from a necessity. J-Cotch is turning into a stud opposite Coles and will likely be able to take up the #1 spot when he hangs 'em up. We could go after an OK FA or use a midround pick for value on one, but I can't see us using a top pick on a skill position with so much of a need for meat on this team.

TE- If we are going after a skill position I think this is it. Baker is good, but not great. If value is there this could be a possibility next year, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Overall I would say that our biggest needs and the most important positions for our overall game would be the lines. I would in fact be in shock if our first and probably second round pick next year didn't weigh 300+ pounds. We need to adapt to todays NFL, and our lineman really are undersized. I can see Mangini wanting to use an undersized NT to get pressure, but I think that would be infinitely easier with big powerful ends. Not to say we are or should be like the pats, but mangini did work overthere so it would be safe to say they could share some ideals. In Bellichecks years there all 3 Dlineman were high first round picks. This shows the importance of the position and how much easier it makes it for the LB corp. OLBs need to get pressure, but if the Oline is concerned with protecting from the dline, then blitzing OLBs will def wreck more havok.

Comment

cotchery isnt a number one though. people mistake great number 2s for #1s all the time. he would struggle in the #1 role.

Comment

Pellot-Rosa got cut....
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by ncstateviking View Post
                cotchery isnt a number one though. people mistake great number 2s for #1s all the time. he would struggle in the #1 role.
                i would agree with that statement. he might develop ala Reggie Wayne, but i don't think so. he's a very good #2, but i don't see him as a #1 anytime soon if ever

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

anyway hear any news on thomas jones' injury?? apparantly its an ankle or calf. From what i have heard it didn't sound too serious, in that he walked off on his own power and was able to put weight on it as well as move it around. He was also not carted immediately to the locker room,which is always promising.
                  In other news, i heard that the jets and revis began talking again; they said they saw one of his agents, other than the one usually mentioned, exiting the jets facility. They were also reportedly meant to have a meeting yesterday. So hopefully, things will be heating up and we can get this guy into training camp quickly.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                    anyway hear any news on thomas jones' injury?? apparantly its an ankle or calf. From what i have heard it didn't sound too serious, in that he walked off on his own power and was able to put weight on it as well as move it around. He was also not carted immediately to the locker room,which is always promising.
                    In other news, i heard that the jets and revis began talking again; they said they saw one of his agents, other than the one usually mentioned, exiting the jets facility. They were also reportedly meant to have a meeting yesterday. So hopefully, things will be heating up and we can get this guy into training camp quickly.
                    I wouldn't be to worried about Jones' injury. especially this early in TC.

The Revis talks couldn't make me any happier. hopefully they go a little smoother this time around.

You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

it's too early to do, naw, I'm just kidding. But what I would like to see the Jets draft is

A. A big 3-4 run stuffing NT who is more than a workout warrior with a funny name.
                      B. At least one guard, possibly two.
                      C. A right tackle (if Bender doesn't look like he is starting material).

And now that I've said that, I'm sure they won't draft any of those day one next year.

Comment

I can see Adarius Bowman as a Jet.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

I think it's safe to say our biggest needs are as follows:

LG
                          NT
                          RT
                          OLB

If all of these positions can somehow upgrade by the regular season, we'll continue to be a good team. If we have to wait until next year to address them, we're in trouble.

Comment

we need to take a quality TE too...
                            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

i think there are a few positions that are more important than upgrading TE at this point. it would be nice if Baker had a good year.....

Comment

it would cause i like him... i heard sean ryan is having a great camp

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information