No announcement yet.

2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jets should trade up no matter what. If they trade up then it has to be Earl Thomas, period.

If they shockingly traded down then it should be no less than top 6 in the 2nd round in order to land Morgan Burnett.

If Jets stayed put then they could go reach on DL like Joseph or Alualu.

It would be nice that Rams select Suh as the 1st overall pick and then trade with Jets for Clausen.

Comment

It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        It's interesting how adamant Tannenbaum was about being against trading up. If it stays true and we stick to our picks or even trade down, hopefully they still are able to make great selections.
        Honestly, I don't really buy it. He said he didn't want to trade up again in the Revis/Harris draft but when Harris was sitting there he had too...was reluctant to trade up to draft Shonn Greene but decided to also. I don't think they have one guy they feel they need to get like Sanchez or Revis, but if somebody falls who they really like they'll jump up. Plus I don't believe anything anybody says this time of year anyway.

Comment

Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.

Comment

I basically just want the BPA for defense or someone who falls that shouldn't. If one of the big time O-linemen fall or maybe even Taylor Mays (Who I don't love, but cmon, hes so sexy that late). I really am leaning towards an early safety because I really don't want Eric Smith to get a tremendous amount of playing time, regardless of what anyone says about safety not being an impact position in Rex's defense. But if safety can't happen, I really just want more athletes. If we get guys that can rush the passer, we wont need to send nearly as many guys, which was a bit of a problem.
            Last edited by josh07039; 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
              Cimini made a point in his most recent draft prediction of saying that DE and S aren't premium positions in Ryan's defense and it'd be unlikely to spend first round picks on those positions or trade up to get a guy at one of those positions unless value was incredible. I'm not sure what to think of that. On one hand he had some tremendous players at those positions in Baltimore, and on the other hand this defense got away with starting Mike DeVito and Eric Smith more than once or twice with no real issues. He said that NT, OLB, and CB are really the premium positions, but Jenkins was also out half the season, Lito Sheppard was starting, and Bryan Thomas had like no sacks.

It just seems that, to me, the defense is greater than the sum of its parts. There may or may not be premium positions, but it seems like this scheme got away with not having premium players just about everywhere except ILB and ended up #1 in the league. I also think that Ryan and Pettine are able to scheme to take advantage of the talents of their players instead of fitting square pegs into round holes, so if they find a guy they like at any position they'll be able to draft him and put him in a position to succeed by tweaking the defense a bit. So any position in this scheme can have an impact guy, Ed Reed being a great example of that at a supposedly non premium position. It'll be interesting to see if he's right.
              Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                Great points! It's funny but I had thought the same thing as Cimini (probably a bad thing) having never read his article, most especially about the DE position. Granted I never really think DE is terribly important in the 3-4, as far as getting star potential there anyway. But yeah. I just imagine we'll go BPA at a position of relative need, but I would be inclined to believe that DE and Safety are two positions it's a little easier to get the guy they'd want later on in the draft, opposed to something like a skill position, rush linebacker, or starting caliber CB.
                Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.

Comment

Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                  Well depending on your opinion of his talent, there could be a starting cb available in Devin Mccourty. As much as I love the idea of a Rutgers guy, Im not so sure that a cb even would make sense after signing Cromatie even though nickel will probably still be a problem. At our late pick, a guy like Mccourty could be the best value as an impact talent but i would much prefer a S or some kind of Line/pass rusher type.
                  I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                    I think McCourty could make a real impact as a 3rd corner. He'd be on the field probably about half the snaps and there are some pretty good 3 WR sets out there. Not that it matters much but we'd then have 3 high level corners and 3 high level wideouts. Rex does love his cornerbacks too...and it's a nice insurance policy to have if Cromartie doesn't work out.

I would love a rush linebacker though. Don't think defensive line, unless it's an end, makes much more sense than going with a corner like McCourty. No NT is going to see a ton of the field unless Jenks gets hurt, and I don't think a DE has good value at #29. Safety like Mays would be intriguing if value matches up...I think a DE or a S is easier to get in round 2 though. Could get a decent corner or OLB also, but I think those are more premium positions that should get the focus in round 1. That all changes if Odrick or Mays is on the board though for me.
                    Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.

Comment

• i agree. i think we should take a corner and a rush OLB with the first two picks. then we can worry about DE, OL, more secondary depth later in the draft..

also bring in a few udfa RBs and WRs
                      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                        Even though the defense improved a bit when Jenkins went out, I would still like to have a real successor/backup because without Jenkins the run d just wasnt as good. Im not saying this year, but we need to look for someone soon. When I said D-Line i just kinda meant in general, but obviously end is a much bigger need and easier to fill where we'll be picking. Im just hoping whoever we get is an athletic guy who can make plays.
                        I definitely think Jenks needs a successor. I also think that the team is gearing up for a big run this season, and blowing a first round pick on a guy who isn't going to do a ton of contributing playing behind Jenks doesn't make a ton of sense. At this very moment, I think they have to take somebody who's going to play a bunch of snaps and valuable ones at that. A defensive end, a free safety, a third corner, or a rush linebacker who can push Thomas out of snaps. There has to be some way to build and help the team this year, it just seems like the direction the team's going in now there's no way they're going to take like...Iupati to sit on the bench or Cody to sit behind Jenks. I think they want somebody who can help this year, and somebody at one of those positions could do that. Regardless of what's a premium position, I think that's what needs to be addressed this year's draft at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                          Well, I don't particularly think he's an impact corner, but what I was trying to say there was that it's harder to get a talented #1 or #2 corner later in the draft opposed to a position like DE. But since we're going for a nickel guy, and I hardly think we want to send Cromartie the wrong idea, I at least think a first round corner is ruled out, and I'd expect it to not happen until the third day.

But as for me, I think it makes most sense to go OLB in the first, but I'm just not sure the real first round talent for that position will be available with our pick (which, sadly, could mean another trade up). I just really think a first round DE is a waste and like I said a while ago (and I think someone just said), positions like the OL where we desperately need depth (and more than likely this year will find that out during the course of the season) but have all our starters in place just couldn't warrant a first round pick. And to me, a first round Safety would have too much pressure on him because with our current starters he'd be expected to start right away. I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                            I could still see RB being a pick though if things fall the right way.
                            I could see that as well, although if LW is still on the roster I don't think it would make any sense.

We'll see what happens, it's going to be an interesting draft. I wouldn't rule out another move up for Graham or Kindle depending on how far they slip and what we'd have to give up. Maybe Mays too. Despite Mike T saying he didn't want to trade up you have to think it's still an option. Kerry Rhodes was going to be a Jet this season a few days before he got moved.

Wonder if this whole Taylor thing is a big smokescreen, it'd be nice to avoid bringing him in. I think corner or safety have to be options though, otherwise they're kind of pidgeonholed into going OLB and I don't think that's the plan right now. Think they want to keep things flexible.

Comment

• is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me
                              Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

• Originally posted by katnip View Post
                                is there any rumors the Jets trading up for Spiller? My brother told me this. I would do it. Only if he fell past 15 overall. I'd like to see us keep all our high picks though (rounds 1-3) and draft key defensive players

Is Chad Jones an option any1 else would like? He's raw, but has potential to me
                                Where'd you see that? Don't think we have the ammo, I could have bought it prior to the deal for Holmes but not so sure anymore. Unless they deal Washington I think there's no way, but he seems like the type of offensive player they'd covet. Just not sure if the need for that sort of explosive player is really there anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information