This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    I think Stallworth is a bit overrated, and especially for whatever he'll be asking. I don't know, I'm not a big fan. I still think we need bigger receivers, either physical enough or able to out-jump DBs enough to be dependable options in a more intermediate passing game. Bryant Johnson would not be a bad idea in my mind. I'm not sure what's happening with Crayton, but I don't think he'd be bad either. And of course, the draft is loaded with bigger receivers, so even if we took a guy in the 4th, 5th, even 6th round, I think we could potentially get a steal provided he has the potential.
    I'd like to see the Jets take a chance on Bryant Johnson. I like BroadwayJoe thinks he never got a fair shake after being permanently demoted to slot receiver in only his second season after the Cards drafted Fitz third overall. At worst he's a good slot receiver. At best, maybe he can establish himself like other former Cardinals draft picks did after they left (Kyle Vanden Bosch and Thomas Jones).

Not such a big fan of Crayton who when it mattered most began to have a horrid case of the dropsies.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
      In general, especially during the 2006 draft, while many of this did not agree on anything really lol, there were a LOT more people active on the Jets forum throughout the season. Once FA and the draft is in full swing though, I think it will get a more lively in these areas.

I don't know if you remember any of these guys or if they were before you were here but there was MyLostIntention, JetsFan3, Frogstomp, WildDude, just off the top of my head, all contributed a lot.

However, we have gained a lot of really strong posters as well.
      Haha, ya i remember people not really agreeing on anything in the 2006 draft, but i didn't start posting till a little more than a year ago, but was viewing for about 2. I remember all of them cept for mylostintention, but we have a solid group of fans posting, but more is always welcome. Especially since a lot of us tend to agree on most of the same things, we don't have too much diversity...I mean hell, i could start playing devils advocate to just disagree with everyone, but yaa i don't see it happening.

Has anyone seen enough of the 49ers to give any info about isaac sopoaga?? From what i've seen, he seems at most a backup, but he is beastly strong and solid measurables. Not sure if he could be anything more than a backup or a pouha, just wondering what you've seen.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Any news on Vilma? Whats the plan with him? I figure, if he's really going to be traded, the rumors would start swirling right about now.

Vernon Gholston just makes too much sense for you guys. Im waiting until the combine to see how i feel about Ellis, but as of right now, I don't see him fitting your 2 gap scheme.

Even if he does, it would waste his talents. Gholston is the best 3-4 front 7 player in this draft, and he'll look real good in Jet green. It just makes too much sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Any news on Vilma? Whats the plan with him? I figure, if he's really going to be traded, the rumors would start swirling right about now.

Vernon Gholston just makes too much sense for you guys. Im waiting until the combine to see how i feel about Ellis, but as of right now, I don't see him fitting your 2 gap scheme.

Even if he does, it would waste his talents. Gholston is the best 3-4 front 7 player in this draft, and he'll look real good in Jet green. It just makes too much sense.
          I'd really really like to see Vilma as a Jet next year. As for Gholston, the question we have is no if the Jets would draft him, but will he be there at #6. Well, okay there is still a question if they'll draft him, but that would be a "We want Sapp!!!!" kinda deal IMO.

Comment

Any news on Vilma? Whats the plan with him? I figure, if he's really going to be traded, the rumors would start swirling right about now.

I have not heard anything reliable about Vilma at all. I am really interested to see what the Jets do in FA. I still think Vilma can be effective. However, his stock right now is probably at an all time low. If traded, I don't see him getting much more then a mid / late 2nd. I very well could be wrong though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
              I'd really really like to see Vilma as a Jet next year. As for Gholston, the question we have is no if the Jets would draft him, but will he be there at #6. Well, okay there is still a question if they'll draft him, but that would be a "We want Sapp!!!!" kinda deal IMO.
              This might sound crazy, but if he has a sick combine, I can see him having a Mario Williams type of rise in stock and go #1 overall to Miami. He's either going #1 overall, or he'll fall to you guys at #6.

I don't think Chris Long is the guaranteed #1 if the Phins stand pat like everyone says he will be. He's not big enough to play DE, he's a little too big to play OLB in the 3-4, and even if he does slim down, I think Gholston will make a more dominant 3-4 OLB than Long will. To me Long has LE in the 4-3 written all over him at the NFL level.

So I wouldn't put it past Parcells to get Gholston over Long. I wouldn't count that possibility out.

Comment

I have not heard anything reliable about Vilma at all. I am really interested to see what the Jets do in FA. I still think Vilma can be effective. However, his stock right now is probably at an all time low. If traded, I don't see him getting much more then a mid / late 2nd. I very well could be wrong though.
                Vilma is one of my favorite players, but he just has no business playing in this scheme. He's just too small. You guys don't even run a 4-2 nickel that could use him effectively. He just doesn't fit. Harris is a future stud, he'll make the absence of Vilma hurt a little less.

I just think, as long as you guys are a 3-4 team and Mangini is coach, it just won't work with Vilma. Youre better off cutting your loses and getting as much as you can out of him. I love the guy, and would hate to see him leave the NY market, but it has to be done if Mangini is your guy long term.

Comment

This might sound crazy, but if he has a sick combine, I can see him having a Mario Williams type of rise in stock and go #1 overall to Miami. He's either going #1 overall, or he'll fall to you guys at #6.

I don't think Chris Long is the guaranteed #1 if the Phins stand pat like everyone says he will be. He's not big enough to play DE, he's a little too big to play OLB in the 3-4, and even if he does slim down, I think Gholston will make a more dominant 3-4 OLB than Long will. To me Long has LE in the 4-3 written all over him at the NFL level.

So I wouldn't put it past Parcells to get Gholston over Long. I wouldn't count that possibility out.

The team I'm actually most worried about selecting Gholston is St. Louis.

Defensive tackle isn't as big of a need.
                  I don't think Adam Carriker can move back outside.
                  And if Orlando Pace comes back, either Jake Long is stuck at guard or on the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    The team I'm actually most worried about selecting Gholston is St. Louis.

Defensive tackle isn't as big of a need.
                    I don't think Adam Carriker can move back outside.
                    And if Orlando Pace comes back, either Jake Long is stuck at guard or on the bench.
                    St. Louis is a hot mess on defense, horrible direction with their drafting. They draft Carriker, a 3-4 DE to play NT in a 4-3 Cover 2. Now they still need interior help. They might draft Dorsey and have Carriker and Dorsey as penetrating UTs in a front with no true NT (alot of Tampa 2 teams do this).

I don't see Gholston on that team. He's not worth that kind of investment in a Tampa 2, where you just have your DEs shoot up the field anyway. They have Little for that, they need interior push.

Comment

St. Louis is a hot mess on defense, horrible direction with their drafting. They draft Carriker, a 3-4 DE to play NT in a 4-3 Cover 2. Now they still need interior help. They might draft Dorsey and have Carriker and Dorsey as penetrating UTs in a front with no true NT (alot of Tampa 2 teams do this).

I don't see Gholston on that team. He's not worth that kind of investment in a Tampa 2, where you just have your DEs shoot up the field anyway. They have Little for that, they need interior push.
                      What value do put on Vilma as of right now?

Comment

What value do put on Vilma as of right now?
                        Id say at worst a late 2nd round pick. Maybe someone gives up a 1st for him, he's still young and we all know what he's worth in a 4-3 scheme.

The thing is the injury hurt his stock a little bit. But he's better than any 4-3 ILB in the draft when healthy, so that should help his stock out. Maybe a late 1st can be had for him.

Either way, its better than nothing.

Comment

• I agree that his value is probably higher than a lot of people are agreeing with, but that's just because i've worked in a PT clinic and ortho lab for a couple years. I've seen my fair share of bone chip removals as well as their rehabs and it's no where near the dangers of microfracture and he should come back the same if not stronger. Barring freak accident of course.

I am hoping that Chris Long puts up good enough numbers to kind of force parcells hand to take him. He already has everything going for him except for the elite measurables, which if he puts up the correct agility and cone drills as well as the 40 he could make it very hard for the fins to not select him.

Edit: I agree that it makes too much sense for the jets. He has the potential to be an elite 34 OLB, which just so happens to be one of the biggest things the jets need. It's hard to script it any better, however you're right, if he blows up at the combine he could very well go #1 overall.
                          Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 02-19-2008, 10:18 PM.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

For the Jets sake, I hope you're right.

Comment

• Like some people have mentioned elsewhere, it's not really for certain that the Dolphins will run the 3-4 (unless word of that just came out). So if they in fact run the 4-3, there's a strong possibility they'll be taking one of the two top DTs, or possibly even Jake Long when it comes down to it. It's funny though with the Rams because I was thinking that they could conjure up memories of Merlin Olsen by taking one of the stud DTs, but then I reminded myself of Deacon Jones and got all worried again. I really think Carriker makes more sense on the outside rather than the inside, so I'd think that they should take Dorsey or Ellis, but who knows. I still doubt that Gholston will be there for our pick, but I'm still giving it hope for fear of what the Jets would draft instead.
                              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Gholston would be the perfect pick. This is how I hope the draft works out.

Miami - Chris Long
                                St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey
                                Oakland - Sedrick Ellis (so we're not tempted)
                                Atlanta - Matt Ryan
                                Kansas City - Jake Long
                                Jets - Vernon Gholston

That'd be so nice for us.
                                Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information