This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
    A second rounder for Jenkins would bother me because I think there are a lot of needs that the Jets are in prime position in the second round to fill. RT, DL, LG, slot WR, OLB. To me, what would be ideal is the Jets 1st for Jenkins and the Panthers 1st.
    But we would most likely be getting an extra 3rd from vilma and then who knows what we would get if we trade drob.

yes we need a LG, RT and OLB, but NT is our most important need. We've all been saying that we need a true NT and it's our biggest need and if we can get one now than i wouldn't mind at all giving up our second, but would be happier giving up our 3rd.

For all we know our slot WR could be stuckey and the NT we would be getting would take care of a gaping hole on our dline. We would still need a good DE, but we could get one with our 3rd possibly.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
      But we would most likely be getting an extra 3rd from vilma and then who knows what we would get if we trade drob.

yes we need a LG, RT and OLB, but NT is our most important need. We've all been saying that we need a true NT and it's our biggest need and if we can get one now than i wouldn't mind at all giving up our second, but would be happier giving up our 3rd.

For all we know our slot WR could be stuckey and the NT we would be getting would take care of a gaping hole on our dline. We would still need a good DE, but we could get one with our 3rd possibly.

Trading a second for Kris Jenkins and getting less for Vilma? Really? You'd be okay with that? He's not as good in the 3-4, but it seems like people are leaning towards the view that because he got hurt, that he's worthless. He's still a good player and IMO, someone the Jets should keep if all they're getting in offers are third round draft picks.

My take is that if the Jets get anything for Robertson, they're ahead of the game. With the salary he's got, I'm surprised he hasn't already been cut.

Stuckey could be the slot guy, but if the Jets don't get someone at WR either through free agency or the draft, chances are he will be, even if he should not be. If you know what I mean.

Comment

• Reportedly the Jets will be getting a conditional pick for Vilma. Here's hoping it could potentially be a 1st!
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
          Reportedly the Jets will be getting a conditional pick for Vilma. Here's hoping it could potentially be a 1st!
          I would bet good money it would probably turn out to be next years 2nd, but a first would be nice. We'd have a good draft next year with this conditional pick and the 4th rounder from the skins.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Same ole Jets. Gave away one of the best players in the league. I'm wearing my Vilma jersies all next week.

Comment

• http://www.jetscentral.com/?p=1058

According to John Clayton of ESPN, the Jets are sending a third and fifth-round draft pick to the Carolina Panthers for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.
              OH YEAH
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...k-engelberger/

But one name that can be removed from the target list is Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

The Broncos were linked to the talented but enigmatic two- time Pro Bowl selection nearly from the time Rogers was put on the trade market, but the team no longer is in the picture.
                If this means getting rid of Robertson, coupled with acquiring Jenkins, good things are on the horizon for the Jets. Yeah, we might be getting screwed over in the Vilma deal, but something had to happen and it's unlikely we would have gotten better. If the rest of this stuff happens for us and we happen to get Faneca as well, regardless of the price, this would be a pretty damn successful free agency/trading period.

Comment

He was a probowl alternate once, has played terribly the last two years and coming knee surgery. There are multiple teams interested in him and if the most we can get is a 3rd than that's what we're going to have to get.

If we keep him; he struggles again in our defense, he leaves through free agency and we get nothing. Bare in mind that the compensatory picks aren't 100% and theres a chance we could get nothing if we land some free agents of our own that year.

If we land a pick from vilma that we can swing for jenkins or rogers than i am 100% absolutely fine with it. I could care less if it was a 4th round pick as long as it turns out to be vilma for rogers or jenkins straight up.

Thats a great point. As much as we all think he is worth more, he is not going to resign him next year, so we may as well take what the market offers now. Granted had he not gottne hurt we may have gotten a little more, but we should take what we can.
                  J. MESS

Comment

• Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
                    Thats a great point. As much as we all think he is worth more, he is not going to resign him next year, so we may as well take what the market offers now. Granted had he not gottne hurt we may have gotten a little more, but we should take what we can.
                    Oh, if he hadn't gotten hurt i think it would have been a 2nd guaranteed, but any player coming off IR never has there value that high, it's just bad for us.

I'm really excited about the jenkins trade though; if he can stay healthy and learn quick he could make quite the difference. It makes me wonder what happens to drob now?? I don't see us keeping an eleven million dollar short defensive end. I really only see us getting a 3rd for him; i know he's young and could be good, but he's got a monster contract and just getting that away from us would be great.

I would like to know if we're getting faneca or not, because it will definately let us know where we will be going with our second pick. It would seem we'd go RT, but if we land a RT in free agency than I'm sure we're just going to go BPA, which could end up being RT anyways.

Comment

• I want Faneca!!!
                      Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

I'm really excited about the jenkins trade though; if he can stay healthy and learn quick he could make quite the difference. It makes me wonder what happens to drob now?? I don't see us keeping an eleven million dollar short defensive end. I really only see us getting a 3rd for him; i know he's young and could be good, but he's got a monster contract and just getting that away from us would be great.
                        If I wasn't so depressed over Vilma getting traded, I'd be excited about the Jenkins trade too. All of this time I've been advocating a trade for Shaun Rogers, it never even occured to me that Jenkins was even on the market. To me, I look at Kris Jenkins as providing the same upgrade that a motivated Shaun Rogers would give the Jets defense.

if he can stay healthy.

Originally posted by DI View Post
                        I would like to know if we're getting faneca or not, because it will definately let us know where we will be going with our second pick. It would seem we'd go RT, but if we land a RT in free agency than I'm sure we're just going to go BPA, which could end up being RT anyways.
                        If the Jets sign Faneca, I'm not sure they'd make a third big free agent splash. The Jets have their second and their fourth to address right tackle. Hopefully they will with one of those picks. Because Anthony Clement sucks.

Comment

• I have a huge question...are these official or just being reported as very likely to happen soon? Like Jenkins IS a Jet and Villma IS a Saint? Also, I read somewhere that it was a conditional 4th rounder...that can't be true though, it's just a conditional pick in general, meaning it could be anywhere from the first round to 7th round right?

Anyways, my thoughts on the trades. Overall, I see it as a huge success.

Vilma Trade

Yes, Vilma WAS a tremendous player, and yes, he WAS the heart and soul of our defense...but what has he done for us lately? As good as someone is, two bad years plus season ending knee surgery can severely hurt your value. The fact is, as good of a player as he was, he had no business in our 3-4 and was so obviously not in our future plans. Had we decided to keep him and "see hot it played out" we would have found we wasted a draft pick on him, as he would most certainly leave the following year via free agency (ala Shawn Marion with the Suns). Therefore the fact that we got anything in return was a plus. Could we have perhaps gotten better value for him? Yea I think so, I think there was a chance we could have gotten a late second this year or a good player in return...but I think the value we got was fine. I think it being a conditional pick in next years draft was brilliant thinking on our staff's part. If he does poorly and we get a mediocre pick in return, well then we can at least say good riddance, at least we got rid of him for something in that case. If he performs well however (something he wouldn't do in a 3-4, regardless of how well he bounces back) then we can get a potential top pick. I'd say a 2nd guaranteed with a chance at even a first, and considering the projected talent in next year's draft, I'd actually prefer to get a pick in next year's draft than this years, especially considering the pick next year has a chance at being a better pick than anyone we'd be getting this year. The Jets had no real leverage in the trade as it would do us more harm by simply keeping him on the team, overall I think the trade was very solid. It's disappointing to see Vilma go, but it's a good move. Is ILB a big need now? No, absolutely not. It wasn't a big need when he was out with surgery, why would it be now. Yes, we probably should pick at least one up, but it's not mandatory to invest a lot of money in one, I don't see the need for an ILB being any different now as oppose to 8 months ago.

Jenkins Trade

Huge trade for us. As I've mentioned already, NT is the most important position on the defense and in itself will lead to greater pass rushing success and lead to a thriving defense in general. As I've also mentioned, Jenkins is far and away better than any NT prospect in the entire draft let alone in the 3rd and 5th rounds and yes, NT was a huge position of need. I don't get why people disagree with that statement. It was a borderline first round need, we had no NT on our current roster. Dewayne is not a 3-4 NT and Pouha is absolutely not starting material. Jenkins, a 3 time pro-bowler, is an ideal NT and will thrive in such a defense, bolstering our pathetic run defense and aiding our equally pathetic pass rush. The value for Jenkins was superb in my opinion. I also don't get why age is an issue...he's 28, his injury concerns are in the past and he's in top shape again and has played the last two full seasons. I honestly don't understand anyone hating on this trade...
                          Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                            I have a huge question...are these official or just being reported as very likely to happen soon? Like Jenkins IS a Jet and Villma IS a Saint? Also, I read somewhere that it was a conditional 4th rounder...that can't be true though, it's just a conditional pick in general, meaning it could be anywhere from the first round to 7th round right?
                            ESPN is reporting it as a conditional third-fourth rounder or the equivalent value of a 2008 day two pick. The Jets didn't trade Jonathan Vilma. They gave him away.

Comment

• I thought a third at worst, but looks like I was wrong. I guess that is better then getting nothing for him next year. I can't believe the Lions wouldent give more then that.

Comment

• Alright guys, it seems the boys are wheelin and dealin for the first time in a while. First move I want to comment on is Vilma. It sucks to see him go becuase you saw the next coming of Ray Lewis when he was in the 3-4, but it was either get something while we can or let him rot. It was a tough decision and while people may not agree with it, whats done is done. We may have gotten **** but you know what, its better then nothing.

Kris Jenkins. My oh my. Didn't really see this coming and im glad because I thought we were going to be getting a slug like Shaun Rogers. Im glad we did this. As Nvot stated, it is the most coveted position in the 3-4. It is the road grader and clogger. Essentially he is goin to do something Dewayne couldn't at that is free our LB's to fly everywhere. Remember that 20 tackle game by David Harris?? Imagine that except wtih 10 more tackles. Highly unlikely but what the hell, why not?? Our third round pick may make its way back to the gang with a possible Dewayne move which I feel is on the way. Even though we may only get a fourth or a later day pick, its something. I can see us possibly goin through with Jacksonville or Denver. Im thinking we are goin to get the trade out of Jacksonville because Donnie Henderson is down there and Stroud is on the block. More things keep leading me on to that trade rather then Denver.

As for the upcoming weekend and week. Hopefully Faneca is packin his bag and headin East. I can see San Francisco dishing out a boatload of money for him which I feel is goin to be our competitors. Im not really afraid of St. Louis because I just dont see that organization trying to throw around a ton of money. So if all goes well we get a a pro-bowl caliber player for a solid 3-5 years. Im not complaining. As for Asante, not worth paying $95m. Thats a ton of money and it would reek havoc on our cap. We can't make that move. As for other players I can see us goin after: Randall ***, Calvin Pace, Lance Briggs. We are in desperate need of a #2 corner. Randall *** has played under Mangini and is a solid upgrade. Hopefully he wont fall out of place like Dyson. Calvin Pace or Lance Briggs would be another solid signing becuase both are solid LB's. After we just lost Vilma and Hobson gettin traded, I won't be surprised if we pursue one of these guys. Calvin Pace has played in the 3-4 and could definately help us (and probably start) after a season with 98 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Lance Briggs is less likely then Calvin Pace but I feel he could do a solid job in the middle with his Athleticism and we can probably get him at a solid price. But, who knows what could happen there.

I now want to conclude with the draft, its looking more and more like we are going to need either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. From the get go, I wanted these guys. It really helps out that we got Kris Jenkins so the Sedrick Ellis moves aren't threatening me anymore. If Run DMC is on the board, I wouldn't mind that either. He may not be an elite back, but he is goin to screw with defenses and could put TJ back into a dual back system which would certainly change things for him. As for the second round pick, I wouldn't be shocked if we draft James Hardy. We need an end-zone big man that can post up and do damage. If he isn't there, Carl Nicks or Adarius Bowman. If we don't draft either Long or Gholston, then dont be surprised if we take Cliff Avril, Tommy Blake, or Darrell Robertson. I would go deeper into the draft but I already typed a monologue.
                                Last edited by Young Nasty Man; 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM.

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information