This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
    Star Ledger saying in addition to Olivea Maurice Williams is on the Jets' radar..
    I think I'd rather the basketball player to be our RT than the actual football player...
    Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• wasn't he injury prone maurice williams?

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
        Yea seriously...it's getting old and annoying already. Vilma was a very good 4-3 LB...he was not the best, maybe not even top 5, but yes he was very good. He was atrocious however in the 3-4 and CLEARLY, EVER SO CLEARLY NOT GOING TO RESIGN WITH US AFTER THIS YEAR. As a 3-4 LB coming off an injury once considered career threatening, his value shouldn't have been greater than a 5th or 6th rounder, the fact that his value was higher was based purely on the potential that he would REEMERGE and play the way he did TWO YEARS AGO. As lovely as that sounds, and as likely as it might be that that will happen, the risk is still there and that simply even more so diminishes his value, not to mention the fact that the Jets had absolutely no leverage with their trading partner consider we'd be SCREWED IF WE KEPT HIM. I'm sick of hearing all this crap about how he'd be amazing in a 3-4 if only he had a better NT...that's absolute bull. It's impossible to tell if a simple upgrade such as that would affect his play at all, and even more so, Vilma was simply a horrible 3-4 LB...it had nothing to do with the lack of talent around him, it had to due with his inability to shed blockers and lack of size...his skill set clearly was not fit for the 3-4 and regardless of the ability of the 3-4 he WOULD HAVE FAILED. Furthermore, the need for an ILB in the draft has been the same the last two years. We still would have needed one had Vilma not been traded...why is it now all of a sudden a big deal?
        Sorry, but I don't agree. Yeah, Vilma has problems shedding blockers. But in the 3-4, occupying blockers is what the defensive line is for. The point of contention is that upgrading the NT would have affected his play. To me, 3-4 NT is the most important position position on the field in that scheme. He's the guy who essentially enables everyone else in the front seven to properly do their jobs and unlike Robertson, who could never handle the double team, I thought he would allow Vilma to be dominant again.

Now, maybe you're right and Vilma really can't succeed in the 3-4 no matter what, but you know what? I would have liked to have found that out for sure.

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
        My second point, stop complaining that we didn't get solid immediate value...first off, we did get immediate value, we got a 4th rounder (despite us possibly giving up a 4th rounder of our own I believe), but even more so, we got a 2nd/3rd rounder next year...this is exactly, if not better, value that we had projected all along...it just happens to be for next year, in fact I think we all might have been overestimated the value of Vilma so even more so it's good value.

Well, keep in mind that it was originally reported that we got a 2009 conditional 4th that would upgrade to s 2009 3rd based on playing time. A 2008 4th that can upgrade to a 2009 2nd is quite a bit better.

Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
        It's inconceivable to me that you guys are pissed that we only got a pick next year...what, is the 2nd rounder we would be getting this year going to bring us to the Super Bowl THIS year? Am I missing something, or are we not in a rebuilding mode? Since when did a rebuilding mode require you to get immediate value/picks? Is it that some of you just don't know the meaning of the word "future" when talking about rebuilding for the future?
        It probably wouldn't bring the Jets to the Superbowl, but going into this offseason, the Jets had 4 big needs, at least IMO.

DL - Addressed with Kris Jenskins
        OLB - Not addressed yet.
        LG - Addressed with Alan Faneca
        RT - Not addressed yet.

If the Jets can address the other two positions as well as get a slot receiver who could eventually replace Coles, I don't see why the Jets couldn't make their way back to the playoffs. JMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
          I could see what your saying, but i believe we should move him inside if he is able to be moved there...this is if we sign him
          Well I hope we sign him and keep Hobson. Then we'd have 2 guys who can play inside or outside at a high level. I think LB is a position where you can never have too many good players (see patriots)
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Barton and Hobson are both pretty solid....harris is very good and if we get Gholston he can be the ROLB.....wich leaves bryan thomas to come in on some pass rushing plays....if and only if we get some1 like gholston our LBs will be good

Comment

• What draft picks do we have? I know we gained a 4th and lost a 3rd and 5th, but what about rounds 6/7. Also do we have any picks from the Kendall thing? I want to make a Jets Mock.
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                Now, maybe you're right and Vilma really can't succeed in the 3-4 no matter what, but you know what? I would have liked to have found that out for sure.
                Unfortunately, he's set to be a FA after this year, so if your little experiment didn't work out, we wouldn't have been compensated at all. All in all, I think the Jets unquestionably did the right thing, and even though I know so many Jets fans were in love with Vilma, I can't see how this didn't seem like the right way to go about things.

I really hope we don't sign a RT. Unless he comes for cheap of course, but still, don't really want to. Best thing we can hope for in the draft though (realistically) seems like a trade down.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  Unfortunately, he's set to be a FA after this year, so if your little experiment didn't work out, we wouldn't have been compensated at all. All in all, I think the Jets unquestionably did the right thing, and even though I know so many Jets fans were in love with Vilma, I can't see how this didn't seem like the right way to go about things.

I really hope we don't sign a RT. Unless he comes for cheap of course, but still, don't really want to. Best thing we can hope for in the draft though (realistically) seems like a trade down.
                  Perfect post.
                  Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvot9 View Post
                    Perfect post.
                    I agree 100% about the Vilma part because even if he played well in the 3-4 he still would have left next year as a FA.

However I would like to see if they can bring in a veteran RT in addition to taking one in the middle rounds..
                    J. MESS

Comment

• It's official now that Michael Turner is a Falcon. The Jets will have to decide between McFadden and Gholston, we can't go wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gang Green View Post
                        It's official now that Michael Turner is a Falcon. The Jets will have to decide between McFadden and Gholston, we can't go wrong.
                        I hope you're right, because I look at Miami, St. Louis and Oakland and wonder if they're going to draft Gholston. At least we know the worst case scenario of

Miami. Chris Long
                        St. Louis. Vernon Gholston
                        Atlanta. Glenn Dorsey/Darren McFadden
                        Oakland. Darren McFadden/Glenn Dorsey
                        Kansas City. Jake Long
                        New York Jets. Oh noes!!!!

can't happen

Comment

• Originally posted by Gang Green View Post
                          It's official now that Michael Turner is a Falcon. The Jets will have to decide between McFadden and Gholston, we can't go wrong.
                          I don't think there was ever a question that the Falcons wouldn't take McFadden, considering the character concerns. I think that if they stay in that spot, it will definitely be between who is available of Jake Long, Ryan, and Dorsey. But if you're insinuating that McFadden and/or Gholston are near locks to be there at our pick, I think that's far from the case. Our biggest threats for taking Gholston are the Rams and Raiders. As far as McFadden goes (though I'm not all too sure they would take him anyway if available), he could easily go to the Raiders as well. Or, the Cowboys or some other team could just as easily trade up to the Chiefs' or Raiders' spot to snag him. I will say there's a better chance of us getting McFadden opposed to Gholston, but all reality, I don't necessarily think that benefits us a whole lot for the future.

The things we really would have to pray for would be the Dolphins taking Ryan or trading out so someone can grab McFadden, and/or the Raiders taking McFadden or falling in love with Dorsey and/or Ellis. One thing going in our favor is that Gholston's Pro Day is early, so maybe he might not be as fresh in the mind, while if people such as Matt Ryan, Dorsey, and Sedrick Ellis impress later on, that could be enough to move them up.
                          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274297

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D :D :D

Comment

• Haha, what idiots. He isn't worth a pack of used footballs. Anyway, this is how it could play out.

Miami-Chris Long
                              St. Louis- Jake Long
                              Atlanta- Matt Ryan
                              Oakland-Glen Dorsey
                              KC- Gholston?
                              Jets- Mcfadden

Comment

• drob traded to the bengals for 4th and 5th round pick...it's about time..now the jenkins trade looks even more like a steal...so long, useless..thanks for the memories...another herm/bradway trainwreck gone.
                                "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information