This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
    4. Everyone needs to chill on Gholston. Let's see what happens. It is so early to call him a bust. We all knew that he is a good athlete and really raw.
    Effort, effort, effort. Or lack there of....that is my main beef. I understand difficulties, but he has to increase his effort level to get any kind of respect from me...he seems passive and no sense of urgency.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
    You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

• Exactly. I just don't see any fire to play the game... at all. Football is heart, not talent. To be a great player you have to have the DESIRE to be great. Gholston has the desire to get paid, which means he'll always just do enough to get a contract. Which is why I don't think he'll ever be a premiere player in this league.

Comment

• Jets sign Marcus Mason

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/jets/...ign_a_run.html

Comment

• Originally posted by MJK View Post
          Exactly. I just don't see any fire to play the game... at all. Football is heart, not talent. To be a great player you have to have the DESIRE to be great. Gholston has the desire to get paid, which means he'll always just do enough to get a contract. Which is why I don't think he'll ever be a premiere player in this league.
          How do you know he doesn't have desire? He may be working his ass off in practice and in the classrooms. I'm not saying that he is, but you can't say the guy lacks desire unless you have something tangible to back it up.

Comment

How do you know he doesn't have desire? He may be working his ass off in practice and in the classrooms. I'm not saying that he is, but you can't say the guy lacks desire unless you have something tangible to back it up.
            i see where you are coming from, but that doesn't make sense. If he was busting ass and doing those things he would be on the field more. And if he was busting ass in those things, he would bust ass on the field to continue to play. It all comes down to on the field production. He must not be doing those things because he's not on the field. OR he is doing those things, and for some reason decides not to do them on the field.....which wouldn't make sense.

No one is saying he's out of position this, or he just isn't seeing the field so he is doing below expectation, its that he isn't seeing the field because when he's on it he is a clear liability who if watched (which he is being the first round pick and many people focus on him) is not appearing as someone putting it all on the line every play. His effort is lackluster, and that is being VERY generous. Enough people have spelled it out, it isn't made up.

Is he a bust? No, because you can't conclude that yet, and it can't be determined for another 2 years, particularly because he's in a position change. However, you CAN assess a players performance as they go, and it has been, to be blunt, bad. No if ands or buts. It has been bad. He CAN turn it around, no doubt, i'm not writing him off. BUT he has to show more effort. Generally, if a guy doesn't look to be putting it all out there, he probably isn't. There are a few exceptions, but those players are only determined to be that way when they actually produce. He hasn't done that, not even close, and therefore doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I as much as anyone hope that he makes it, but he's got to show somehting soon. Check the stats, check the FILM, check the number of plays he sees the field, it isn't a fluke, they all add up to him not performing.

Bust? No. Disappointing? Extremely. Hope still remains, but he's not the same type of athlete as Woodley, at least not in my eyes, he's to stiff and beefed up. Find a niche and stickl to it. That part may have something to do with the coaching staff, i will admit that, as i am not 100% sold on them either.

You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Watching him play is tangible enough evidence. He just doesn't seem to finish plays, doesn't seem to care.

I don't see how you can watch Gholston play and disagree with the fact that he's a lazy player.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJK View Post
                Watching him play is tangible enough evidence. He just doesn't seem to finish plays, doesn't seem to care.

I don't see how you can watch Gholston play and disagree with the fact that he's a lazy player.
                he's so rarely on the field (due to the lack of desire and effort he shows to make plays when he's on it) that i can understand if he just hasn't seen him on the field to watch....

Comment

• Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                  he's so rarely on the field (due to the lack of desire and effort he shows to make plays when he's on it) that i can understand if he just hasn't seen him on the field to watch....
                  Partially It is because I really haven't seen him play much except for a few plays here and there. So because of my lack of sample size I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I have no evidence I'm just speculating. Perhaps it appears like he isn't trying to finish off plays and really he just isn't good enough yet. He doesn't have enough moves to get by lineman and he doesn't know how to cover. Obviously the guy needs to learn how to be an nfl player considering he could just bull rush or blow by everybody in college. Perhaps he doesn't have the desire. It was an issue people discussed in the draft process.

Comment

• The coaching is terrible...Mangini and Schottenheimer should be fired!
                    The play calling is awful and the gameplanning is worst

The run game is so inconsistent because the team has no identity

Gholston also doesnt get snaps bc of how far behind he was bc of OSUs trimesters...give him time but i am undoubtedly dissapointed just not calling him a bust bc he doesnt get the snaps another 1st rder gets

I'm more dissapointd in Keller a 1st rounder and he can't catch simple slants!
                    Sure hes caught TD passes but he can't change the offense and is a dissapointment.

I want Bill Cowher or Brian Billick to come in next season bc this team is not well coached at all. Mangini can do a lot with a little but can't properly use his assests. At least Billick and Cowher both give their teams running smash mouth identities and he allows emotion in the equation. Mangini supresses fire in the locker room and on the field with his 5 second rule which is good when yorue down but you need to get pumped when you play well to get on a streak and be an elite team.

NEEDS:
                    1)DE
                    2)RT
                    3)SS
                    4)WR
                    5)DT-to help Jenkins
                    6)ILB-to help Barton

FAVORITES:
                    1)Tyson Jackson
                    2)Phil Loadholt
                    3)Chip Vaughn
                    4)Tiquan Underwood
                    5)BJ Raji
                    6)Josh Maugua

watching the game: REALLY?!?!?!?!?! A TOSS ON 2nd and 2 TERRIBLE!!!!
                    Last edited by hcbrad08; 11-02-2008, 01:37 PM.
                    QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• THEY SHOULD BE FIRED...A 1 YARD PASS ON 3rd AND 12?

PHIL SIMMS: yea great call take the 3....
                      UNLESS YOU MISS IT

ANOTHER REASON THE CALL SUCKED BC IT PUT IT ON THE WIDE RIGHT HASH AND HE HAD TO KICK IT LEFT TO MAKE IT AND IT WAS A PULL....

MANGINI, SCHOTTENHEIMER SHOULD BE FIRED...forget the relationship Mangini has with Tannenbaum...Woody needs to step in and tell him either fire Mangini or turn in your papers! The playcalling is awful and unoriginal...1st down... designed screen? when the opposite side was wide open...2nd down run from shotgun when downhill TJ running was working...3rd as you saw above AWFUL...

SCHOTTENHEIMER AND MANGINI THINK THEY ARE SMARTER THAN THEY REALLY ARE!!
                      Last edited by hcbrad08; 11-02-2008, 01:38 PM.
                      QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

Comment

• ugh feeley strikes again....
                        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• I can't believe they didn't take that 4th down before.

Comment

• oh man come on barrett you have to catch that
                            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Revis is the man!

Buffalo's D is crazy fast. That was a huge win, against a very good team.

Comment

• Kris Jenkins is a monster

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information