• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
    my new leon washington sig haha
    That is incredibly sweet.

Comment

• Looks like Rex Ryan is becoming a more serious candidate after an interview that went well yesterday:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200..._ryan_new.html

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
        Looks like Rex Ryan is becoming a more serious candidate after an interview that went well yesterday:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200..._ryan_new.html
        Glad to hear it. After Cowher and Shanahan said no, Rex Ryan and Steve Spagnola became the best options. I'd only have two concerns with it.

1. Who would be the offensive coordinator?

2. David Harris is good, but he's no Ray Lewis, Kery Rhodes is good, but he's no Ed Reed. Calvin Pace is good but he's no Terrell Suggs. And so on. Other than Darrelle Revis and Kris Jenkins, the Jets simply don't match up talent wise with the Ravens, even the good players the Jets have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          Glad to hear it. After Cowher and Shanahan said no, Rex Ryan and Steve Spagnola became the best options. I'd only have two concerns with it.

1. Who would be the offensive coordinator?

2. David Harris is good, but he's no Ray Lewis, Kery Rhodes is good, but he's no Ed Reed. Calvin Pace is good but he's no Terrell Suggs. And so on. Other than Darrelle Revis and Kris Jenkins, the Jets simply don't match up talent wise with the Ravens, even the good players the Jets have.
          Definitely agree that those are the best two options. Your concerns are certainly concerns I would have as well.

For the first one I'd imagine we'd try and keep Schottenheimer on board, which I could be alright with. I think the playcalling was forced a little with Favre on board and could be improved without him. The main thing is continuity is nice offensively and with young quarterbacks it would be helpful for them not to have to learn a new scheme. That said, if we end up drafting a quarterback early, that is not as critical. Otherwise I honestly have no idea what direction we'd go in, I presume Ryan could choose whoever he wanted but since the Ravens haven't had much success perhaps Tannenbaum helps him pick somebody or we promote from within.

For the second one while the Ravens have some very good players they have some players that are less than stellar. They also have been quite banged up in the secondary sometimes and still have success. The thing I like about Ryan's scheme is that he puts players in positions to make plays and remains aggressive which is something we really need defensively. Really all that's critical about him is his philosophy and what the players think of him/how they play for him. He's agressive which I like and his players seem to love him and play very hard. I absolutely agree the talent level is a concern, however.

The big perk to Ryan is that we'd be getting getting a highly regarded coach whose players like him that runs a similar scheme that wouldn't require much turnover.

Comment

• Well, Ryan could certainly turn things around through the draft, and who knows, he may be able to wake the fire in some players we thought previously useless. Hell, they did it with Bart Scott, and even Fabian Washington looks half decent there.

But yeah. I hate B-Schott but if we get Ryan as our HC, I don't really care. He can phase him out in a year or two.
            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
              Well, Ryan could certainly turn things around through the draft, and who knows, he may be able to wake the fire in some players we thought previously useless. Hell, they did it with Bart Scott, and even Fabian Washington looks half decent there.

But yeah. I hate B-Schott but if we get Ryan as our HC, I don't really care. He can phase him out in a year or two.
              I agree with the firrst part but are we gonna wanna phase him out in a year or two...like people have been saying here, which i agree with, if we go with a young QB, thats not what we wanna do, we need consistency there...jsut look at alex smith, i konw he had plenty of other problems but 3 coordinators in 3 yrs ruined him
              JETS

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                Definitely agree that those are the best two options. Your concerns are certainly concerns I would have as well.

For the first one I'd imagine we'd try and keep Schottenheimer on board, which I could be alright with. I think the playcalling was forced a little with Favre on board and could be improved without him. The main thing is continuity is nice offensively and with young quarterbacks it would be helpful for them not to have to learn a new scheme. That said, if we end up drafting a quarterback early, that is not as critical. Otherwise I honestly have no idea what direction we'd go in, I presume Ryan could choose whoever he wanted but since the Ravens haven't had much success perhaps Tannenbaum helps him pick somebody or we promote from within.

For the second one while the Ravens have some very good players they have some players that are less than stellar. They also have been quite banged up in the secondary sometimes and still have success. The thing I like about Ryan's scheme is that he puts players in positions to make plays and remains aggressive which is something we really need defensively. Really all that's critical about him is his philosophy and what the players think of him/how they play for him. He's agressive which I like and his players seem to love him and play very hard. I absolutely agree the talent level is a concern, however.

The big perk to Ryan is that we'd be getting getting a highly regarded coach whose players like him that runs a similar scheme that wouldn't require much turnover.
                Just a point on your comparison between the Jets and the Ravens, I believe overall our defense is close to theirs. There is no argument that they're better all around from a talent stand point (and scheme also year in, year out) but we have players who can work effectively in any scheme. The thing that makes us roughly even is our offense is overall better than the ravens. Our wr's are pretty even (sadly) but our o-line-across the board- is better than the ravens and Jones/Washington is better than Mcgahee/McClain/Rice. Our QB play is-well-who the hell knows who are qb is now. But my point is, the Ravens are a notch above us in D and were a notch above them in offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
                  I agree with the firrst part but are we gonna wanna phase him out in a year or two...like people have been saying here, which i agree with, if we go with a young QB, thats not what we wanna do, we need consistency there...jsut look at alex smith, i konw he had plenty of other problems but 3 coordinators in 3 yrs ruined him
                  And it happened to Jason Campbell and he's looked the best he has yet. I mean, it all depends on who we bring in and all that. From the QB standpoint, if they come from a gimmick offense and never went under center or ran the option, well yeah, it might take them a while. And our new coordinator could come from within and the offense might not even really change. Or maybe Schott is good from here on out. Or maybe he leaves. Or maybe he's our new HC. Who knows. There's a lot of variables, and I'm not especially concerned with that if we can get Ryan as our coach and he gets his QB.
                  Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Originally posted by Jersey/B View Post
                    The thing that makes us roughly even is our offense is overall better than the ravens. Our wr's are pretty even (sadly) but our o-line-across the board- is better than the ravens and Jones/Washington is better than Mcgahee/McClain/Rice. Our QB play is-well-who the hell knows who are qb is now. But my point is, the Ravens are a notch above us in D and were a notch above them in offense.
                    1. The Jets and Ravens are not roughly even. I'd say the only places where the Jets have the advantage are interior offensive line and running back. And that does not make the Jets remotely even with the Ravens.

2. What does it matter if the Jets are better offensively if we're hiring the Ravens DEFENSIVE coordinator?

Comment

And it happened to Jason Campbell and he's looked the best he has yet. I mean, it all depends on who we bring in and all that. From the QB standpoint, if they come from a gimmick offense and never went under center or ran the option, well yeah, it might take them a while. And our new coordinator could come from within and the offense might not even really change. Or maybe Schott is good from here on out. Or maybe he leaves. Or maybe he's our new HC. Who knows. There's a lot of variables, and I'm not especially concerned with that if we can get Ryan as our coach and he gets his QB.
                      ok well campbells one thing, and if were gonna bring in a QB guru like zorn down the road then yeah forget that..but i dotn think its the change in scheme thats helped him as much as it is zorn, and at times he looked uncomfortbale this year, and didnt lead them anywhere, also portis was a large part of his success this year, if you look at his statsa nd just how he played he was so much better early on when clinton portis was the top RB in the league, adn then when he got hit with injuries, campbell couldnt really handle the load (first 8 weeks which is when portis was healthy he had 8 tds to 0 ints, and then the next 8 weeks he had 5 tds to 6 ints

and as for your schott point i was addressing what you said aabout phasing him out in a year or two under, not keeping him or upgrading him
                      JETS

Comment

• I've been hoping until now that they were going to get Rex Ryan or Steve Spagnola. But now that Jon Gruden is on the market, he is instantly the #1 FA agent coach on the market and the Jets need to at least try to get him (and then make Bill Callahan the OC).

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          I've been hoping until now that they were going to get Rex Ryan or Steve Spagnola. But now that Jon Gruden is on the market, he is instantly the #1 FA agent coach on the market and the Jets need to at least try to get him (and then make Bill Callahan the OC).
                          There are two major perks to Gruden. First, he's going to hold his players accountable and show some emotion unlike Mangini, and I think we really do want a change there. Second, he'll probably do a lot to help out with an uncertain quarterback situation. I still like Ryan a lot and if we bring in Gruden we'll need to bring in someone as a DC to fix the defense (Romeo? perhaps somebody from the Ravens). Plus with Gruden we probably stick with the 3-4. We could do a lot worse, though.

Also, if Schottenheimer leaves (even if he doesn't) I'd like Callahan to be the OC.

EDIT: PLUS Gruden could mean more likely we go WR
                          Last edited by derza222; 01-16-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Considering that we'd need to have a QB to run the WCO, the players would also have to learn that system, and our guys don't particularly seem to take to that sort of coach all too well, I'd rather not. I do like Gruden though and we could definitely do worse (well, B-Schott is probably the only worse option out there right now). I'm also not particularly a fan of using recycled head coaches nor am I a fan of offensive minded ones, but that's just me.

Oh and some good news, looks like Garrett is going to the Rams, so that'd probably leave our only contender as the Chiefs, who hopefully will go after B-Schott.

And just because Gruden is an offensive mind doesn't mean he's more likely to go offense. If anything, it means he's less likely. Usually they tend to do that, especially with an arrogant coach like Gruden. He'll bring in offensive guys in later rounds and randomly through free agency.
                            Last edited by thetedginnshow; 01-16-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

And just because Gruden is an offensive mind doesn't mean he's more likely to go offense. If anything, it means he's less likely. Usually they tend to do that, especially with an arrogant coach like Gruden. He'll bring in offensive guys in later rounds and randomly through free agency.
                              If Tampa has been any indication, this isn't true, and I don't really know why you would this it is.

2 58 Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State

2 35 Arron Sears G Tennessee

2006 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              1 23 Davin Joseph G Oklahoma
                              2 59 Jeremy Trueblood T Boston College
                              3 90 Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame

2005 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              1 5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
                              2 36 Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
                              3 71 Alex Smith TE Stanford
                              3 91 Chris Colmer T North Carolina State
                              4 107 Dan Buenning G Wisconsin

2004 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              1 15 Michael Clayton WR Louisiana State

2003 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              2 64 Dewayne White DE Louisville
                              3 97 Chris Simms QB Texas
                              4 130 Lance Nimmo T West Virginia
                              4 133 Austin King C Northwestern
                              5 168 Sean Mahan G Notre Dame

2002 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              3 86 Marquise Walker WR Michigan
                              4 119 Travis Stephens RB Tennessee

So, while Gruden was in Tampa Bay, they drafted offensive with at least one of their top two picks every single year. They didn't do a very good job drafting, but they did go after offensive players.

Comment

• Well I was specifically talking about the first round, but you make a decent point. I guess I was looking more at his successes though, which didn't particularly come from that area. But of course, what's always carried him was defense, which hasn't even ever been in his control, and that's why I don't particularly care for him for the spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information