Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as the QB/WR debate I kind of agree with TTGS, our QB could potentially be on the roster right now. However, barring a major change in somebody, our WR is not on the roster right now. I also agree that we may very well not actually look for a wideout.

With Holmes/Maclin I'll absolutely agree Holmes is a little bulkier and at this point more polished as a wideout. But both are very dangerous both getting downfield and after the catch, and both can make plays on punts. While Holmes may be a little more likely to break a tackle and take it to the house, Maclin is a little shiftier also. I just think they can play a similar role. That said, Fitzgerald almost won his team the game and you can't take that away from him. Take away Warner's interception and make it a field goal or even no points and, while I won't say the Cardinals win, the entire game changes. I'd prefer a Fitzgerald type still, but obviously still see the value in a Holmes type as well and figure I'll have to because Larry Fitzgerald's don't exactly grown on trees.

For the Sanchez/Maclin debate I personally would prefer Maclin. The lack of experience, while it could be overcome, worries me. He has a nice skillset but I just think Sanchez has a better chance of busting and I'd rather take my chances with the QB's we have now surrounded by what could be a very solid supporting cast. Two good possession WR's if we don't cut Coles, one if we do. A big-play threat in Maclin (in this scenario). A very talented tight end in Keller, and a guy who can make catches and perform well if called upon in Baker if we don't cut him. A very good run game with two backs that can also catch the ball well out of the backfield, and Washington who can really make things happen with the ball in his hands. Plus situational WR's like Clowney who can get deep and Stuckey who is solid in the slot. And an offensive line that can provide solid protection on top of that. It's just a nice situation for a young quarterback IMO and if our guys are relatively talented they can do something with that situation. I think we take Sanchez given the opportunity, though.

Comment

• I like Sanchez but I do belive we have a QB that can win for us on our team already. As for Maclin I do like him as well. Ofcourse I would rather get BOLDIN in FA (yes dream world).

Comment

• I agree GL. Maclin would be a much better addition to our offense than Sanchez, IMO. And i'm not saying Sanchez is bad, but I really feel that Maclin would be a huge addition in terms of production and just him being a threat.

Are there any free agent QBs that would be safe back-ups/guys to compete with Kellen and Brett (#5 not #4)? I think having Kellen, Brett, and this other QB would be fine. Let them battle it out.
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
          I agree GL. Maclin would be a much better addition to our offense than Sanchez, IMO. And i'm not saying Sanchez is bad, but I really feel that Maclin would be a huge addition in terms of production and just him being a threat.

Are there any free agent QBs that would be safe back-ups/guys to compete with Kellen and Brett (#5 not #4)? I think having Kellen, Brett, and this other QB would be fine. Let them battle it out.
          I think as far as veteran backups, we should look at Leftwhich, who on a completely irrelevent topic bares an uncanny resemblance to Keenan, from keenan and kel. He looked very good in spot duty this year when Big Ben got hurt and can make all the throws when he's given proper time in the pocket. He has always had a very long delivery, but it looked as though he shortened it up a bit this year. I think he could be a very competent starter with out run game and defense.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
            I think as far as veteran backups, we should look at Leftwhich, who on a completely irrelevent topic bares an uncanny resemblance to Keenan, from keenan and kel. He looked very good in spot duty this year when Big Ben got hurt and can make all the throws when he's given proper time in the pocket. He has always had a very long delivery, but it looked as though he shortened it up a bit this year. I think he could be a very competent starter with out run game and defense.
            I like Leftwich too. He can make all the throws and his arm is like a cannon.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• But will the Steelers let him go.
              Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

• Really, I think it's most important to solidify our defense, because then we can get a Leftwich/Flacco/Collins and make them look good. If we get a dependable option at WR in this draft and Rex can transform our D, hell, I'd say Clemens or Ratliff would be locks for looking like the Franchise.

EDIT: Oh but I'd probably say no to Leftwich. One of my biggest gripes with Favre was his immobility, and Leftwich doesn't even have the excuse of being 65.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• That's a good point. QB will be a lot less important when we have a complete team around him.

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                    Really, I think it's most important to solidify our defense, because then we can get a Leftwich/Flacco/Collins and make them look good. If we get a dependable option at WR in this draft and Rex can transform our D, hell, I'd say Clemens or Ratliff would be locks for looking like the Franchise.

EDIT: Oh but I'd probably say no to Leftwich. One of my biggest gripes with Favre was his immobility, and Leftwich doesn't even have the excuse of being 65.
                    I think this is the way to go.

Also with GL's Boldin comment, I don't think a Boldin is what we need. First of all he'll cost way more than we can afford, but he's basically a rich man's Cotchery. I think if we target a wideout it has to be a guy that's going to add some diversity to the offense. If you look at the Cards, Boldin and Fitz compliment each other really well. I don't think a Boldin and a poor man's Boldin compliment each other well enough to really impact the offense that much. I love Boldin, just not what we need IMO. Obviously I'd take him in the right scenario (not unlike Crabtree/Nicks) but Boldin's going to cost a helluva lot more than anybody at 17 would.

Comment

• as for QBs...other than leftwich who i would be all for bringinig in if brett goes and we dont think well get/want sanchez

warner?, david carr, ryan fitzpatrick, jeff garcia?, kyle boller, rex grossman, jp losman....

i definitely think we should bring one in to compete in camp like somebody just said and i said a few days ago...i would be ok bringing in leftwich, grossman, losman, or even boller, just to compete...and i bet at least a few of those guys would accept an offer from us at a little lower than what they want because thye know they would have a legit starting chance
                      JETS

Comment

• Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                        That's a good point. QB will be a lot less important when we have a complete team around him.
                        Keep something else in mind. Clemens has really only had one real opportunity behind the swiss cheese that was the Jets offensive line in 2007. Why wouldn't and why shouldn't he get another one? We're talking about the Jets signing Byron Leftwich, well, how well did he do during his first starting gig?

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          Keep something else in mind. Clemens has really only had one real opportunity behind the swiss cheese that was the Jets offensive line in 2007. Why wouldn't and why shouldn't he get another one? We're talking about the Jets signing Byron Leftwich, well, how well did he do during his first starting gig?
                          There is a reason the Jets signed Favre instead of giving Clemens a shot last year. The Jets have the pieces in place to make a run for the superbowl now. It's unfortunate we are missing arguably the biggest piece...

Not saying Clemens can't be the future, or that it is fair to completely evaluate his play on the team he played on, but I'm definitely skeptical.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                            There is a reason the Jets signed Favre instead of giving Clemens a shot last year. The Jets have the pieces in place to make a run for the superbowl now. It's unfortunate we are missing arguably the biggest piece...

Not saying Clemens can't be the future, or that it is fair to completely evaluate his play on the team he played on, but I'm definitely skeptical.
                            Yes, there is a reason the Jets signed Favre instead of giving Clemens a shot last year, but Byron Leftwich isn't a future hall of fame QB coming off of a career year. Nor is anyone else.

Not to mention how far in the future are we talking? And considering all of the Mark Sanchez talk, it doesn't seem like many of the fanbase think he's the future either. If Pennington can turn it around like he did, why can't Clemens?
                            Last edited by Crickett; 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                              Oh, I agree 100% that Clemens deserves another shot, a real shot. He performed admirably under the crappy circumstances that were the 2007 NY Jets. I love his arm, his scrambling ability and the fact that he had a penchant for late combacks/heroics.

I question his ability to make reads and his decision making, but i honestly don't think it could be any worse than what favre did this year with his 22 ints.

I personally feel that clemens could have won every game that favre did this year, except for the 2nd new england game and possibly the titans game, but i also feel he would have won a couple down the stretch. The titans game is iffy for me because i feel as though the gameplan was amazing, but favre did execute the short passing game to perfection.

I am fully behind an open competition between CLemens and Ratliff, and will supoort whomever wins.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                I think this is the way to go.

Also with GL's Boldin comment, I don't think a Boldin is what we need. First of all he'll cost way more than we can afford, but he's basically a rich man's Cotchery. I think if we target a wideout it has to be a guy that's going to add some diversity to the offense. If you look at the Cards, Boldin and Fitz compliment each other really well. I don't think a Boldin and a poor man's Boldin compliment each other well enough to really impact the offense that much. I love Boldin, just not what we need IMO. Obviously I'd take him in the right scenario (not unlike Crabtree/Nicks) but Boldin's going to cost a helluva lot more than anybody at 17 would.

I agree that Boldin and Cotch are similar WRs but Boldin at 1 and Cotch at 2 would still be a very good reciving core either way. Its not going to happen anyway hes worth to much. What other WRs are FAs this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information