Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Jets Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    Yeah, I'd go with Washington.

    As for the Favre thing, I think it sort of put us on the map. Made us relevant. It was part of an off-season committed to taking a stance in making the Jets worthy of national recognition. It brought life to the team. I think it reinvigorated the "boosters". Plus, I think everything happens for a reason and I don't know if we would have gotten Rex had that not taken place. And really, had we stuck with our QB situation as is, more than likely at some point Pennington would have been benched, so we would have seen Clemens for what he truly is (or truly is not) and then we wouldn't have this entertaining quarterback controversy that we have now, probably forcing us to trade the farm for Cutler or draft Freeman.
    I think our offense with Cutler and without Washington would still have some major holes. No real playmaker, and with all of the picks we'd have to give up I'm not sure how we'd get one. We'll see, but I'd certainly have some concerns there.

    I dunno how significant bringing attention to the team is, and to be honest I think our offseason kind of did that alone. Favre was kind of just the icing on the cake there. And the bold part is kind of why I think the whole Favre fiasco was bad for the team lol. It was fun for awhile, but in retrospect it kind of set us back a year and left us with more questions than there would have been otherwise.


    So the Broncos supposedly want two first round picks as a starting point for a Cutler deal. Maybe Tanny finds a way to get creative without giving up the house for him, but I don't think he's the final piece on this team so I struggle to give up so much. We'll see how it plays out.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by derza222 View Post

      So the Broncos supposedly want two first round picks as a starting point for a Cutler deal. Maybe Tanny finds a way to get creative without giving up the house for him, but I don't think he's the final piece on this team so I struggle to give up so much. We'll see how it plays out.

      Its all for naught, the Bears reportedly pulled the trigger on a trade. Orton and three picks is what is being reported.
      J. MESS

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
        Its all for naught, the Bears reportedly pulled the trigger on a trade. Orton and three picks is what is being reported.
        Yup, I'm pretty happy with how everything worked out. We didn't have to give up the house for Cutler, matching that deal would have really set us back in a lot of other areas if we could have done it at all, and Cutler isn't in our conference. Only downside is if this results in us moving up to get Freeman. Then I'll cry.

        Also, people may finally stop mocking Sanchez to us at #17. Not that I wouldn't want it to happen, but it's getting pretty damn boring.

        Comment


        • Maybe the Broncos will draft Freeman now. We have to hope Sanchez goes in the top ten.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

          Comment


          • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
            Maybe the Broncos will draft Freeman now. We have to hope Sanchez goes in the top ten.
            Do you guys not want Sanchez?
            J. MESS

            Comment


            • Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
              Maybe the Broncos will draft Freeman now. We have to hope Sanchez goes in the top ten.
              At this point they obviously have to be a strong candidate to draft a quarterback, maybe even move up. I think this pushes up some of the QB's in this draft, as did the Sanchez workout. So provided we don't decide we need one enough to move up, I think we'll be alright.

              At this point, unless a really nice value falls to 17, I almost think I'd most like to move down into the late first/early second this year. Think the value for what we're looking at will be better there.

              Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
              Do you guys not want Sanchez?
              Ambivalent on Sanchez, but don't want Freeman. That's really the key for me. And I don't think there's any chance we even almost have an opportunity to draft Sanchez if we sit at 17. He'll be gone top 5 IMO, 8 at the latest.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
                Do you guys not want Sanchez?
                I'd love Sanchez, but the only way Freeman is out of our grasp is if Sanchez goes early.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                Comment


                • It isn't that Favre did 'nothing for us', because it certainly brought national attention and lots of recognition to the Jets, including lots of additional revenues and such, but it did set us back on the field and didn't provide a post-season berth. It left us one year later, not knowing what we have at QB and with fewer draft picks. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the ride, it was great (except for all the bandwagoners and people asking if i just started liking the Jets because of Favre....dear lord), but as an on the field product, it set us back.

                  Sanchez and Stafford will be gone by our pick. I personally don't care if we move up for Freeman, as i don't know enough about him, but if WR is the target, depending on who's there, i would be fine moving down. Obviously need a taker, but i see a bunch of 2nd tier WRs that i would be fine with any, so may as well move down.


                  Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                  Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                  You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                    It isn't that Favre did 'nothing for us', because it certainly brought national attention and lots of recognition to the Jets, including lots of additional revenues and such, but it did set us back on the field and didn't provide a post-season berth. It left us one year later, not knowing what we have at QB and with fewer draft picks. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the ride, it was great (except for all the bandwagoners and people asking if i just started liking the Jets because of Favre....dear lord), but as an on the field product, it set us back.

                    Sanchez and Stafford will be gone by our pick. I personally don't care if we move up for Freeman, as i don't know enough about him, but if WR is the target, depending on who's there, i would be fine moving down. Obviously need a taker, but i see a bunch of 2nd tier WRs that i would be fine with any, so may as well move down.
                    I definitely agree with that.

                    Article about the trade and what it means for the draft, perhaps us moving up:

                    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi040209.htm

                    It makes some sense if we really do like him, but I do think our interest in Freeman is overstated. Or at least I hope so. I also think it's strange the article doesn't take into account that to trade up to 11 ahead of the Broncos we'd have to deal with a division rival, and I'm not sure how likely that is. At the moment I'm hoping the Jags pull a shocker and take Freeman at 8, especially if Sanchez goes top 5 one way or another. Nice for Freeman, nice for us.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jmess15 View Post
                      Do you guys not want Sanchez?
                      I want a receiver who can get some seperation and make plays down the field.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                        I want a receiver who can get some seperation and make plays down the field.
                        This is where I find myself. Worst-case I'd like a guy who can make some plays downfield (Barden?). Alternatively, I'm warming up to Chris Wells a little if he's there. Think he fits the kind of offense we're trying to run and would be a pretty nice value if available. Maclin's still a personal favorite.

                        One thing I'm trying to figure out is, thinking about the picks I don't want to happen, whether I'd prefer Pettigrew or Freeman.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          I want a receiver who can get some seperation and make plays down the field.
                          Maclin and DHB are the best bets there.

                          Sig by BoneKrusher

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                            I want a receiver who can get some seperation and make plays down the field.
                            haha, nobody wants those!!!


                            Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                            Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                            You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                              haha, nobody wants those!!!
                              Well the last time the Jets had one, his name was Santana Moss and mostly went over the middle because Paul Hackett is a turd.

                              Looking at the team, I don't see why Mark Sanchez or especially Josh Freeman would help. Strong run game (Thomas Jones), playmaker who can make plays after the pass (Leon Washington) and possession receivers who lack elite speed (Keller and Cotchery).

                              Tell me this Jets offense isn't still built for Chad Pennington. Go ahead and tell me.
                              Last edited by Crickett; 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM.

                              Comment


                              • I was reading somewhere Clowney was looking to get up to about 200 lbs. If he could get there and still retain his speed, the injury issues would probably disappear and then all we'd really be missing is a red zone threat (unless I guess you want to count Keller).
                                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information