Eagles Mock Drafts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
    Griffin is much more naturally a FS. He's only 195 pounds, but he is very capable of playing SS, which is where we would play him. Considine is better at FS, and just doesn't get it done in run support, so he would be better off at FS while Griffin plays SS.

I don't know if we really need a DE that badly at this point, we could address that next year, I think we need to address MIKE early this year because Trotter could very well be done after this season.

That is unless we take Waters in the third. If we did that I would like to see:

1. Michael Griffin
    2. Spencer/Johnson/Abiamari(unlikely he'll be there though) or Tanard Jackson
    3. Anthony Waters.
    I think DE is a priority because we have Kearse (who we can't depend on), Howard (who disappeared last year), Cole, Thomas, McDougle (hahaha), and maybe Gocong (who may be a DE and/or a SLB).

Let's assume that McDougle is gone. That leaves half a Kearse, Howard, Cole, Thomas, and maybe Gocong. Kearse, and /or Howard are probably gone next year, if not during training camp, barring an amazing comeback, so we just might need a young DE to set loose on opposing QBs. A lot actually depends on what position Gocong will play, and even IF he can play in the NFL.

I'm actually trying to stick by the Eagles philosophy, which says draft linemen and QB's in the first round. I like Griffin in the first, but you've got to remeber the 2003 draft, where no one saw them taking Shawn Andrews in the first round when their O-line was stacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Kool Aid View Post
      I think DE is a priority because we have Kearse (who we can't depend on), Howard (who disappeared last year), Cole, Thomas, McDougle (hahaha), and maybe Gocong (who may be a DE and/or a SLB).

Let's assume that McDougle is gone. That leaves half a Kearse, Howard, Cole, Thomas, and maybe Gocong. Kearse, and /or Howard are probably gone next year, if not during training camp, barring an amazing comeback, so we just might need a young DE to set loose on opposing QBs. A lot actually depends on what position Gocong will play, and even IF he can play in the NFL.

I'm actually trying to stick by the Eagles philosophy, which says draft linemen and QB's in the first round. I like Griffin in the first, but you've got to remeber the 2003 draft, where no one saw them taking Shawn Andrews in the first round when their O-line was stacked.
      Howard disappeared once Kearse was out, but while they were both starting they were dominating. Trent Cole is on the verge of becoming a good starter, so I don't know how much of an improvement we can get over him in the draft. McDougle is gone, I agree, but Gocong is going to be playing DE/LB this year so he should get some time.

O-Line is a possibility, but if we were to draft someone it would probably be an OT. I'm fine with Winston Justice at LT but we will need a good replacement for Runyan. I wouldn't mind us taking an offensive lineman if Levi Brown were to fall, and that's the only scenario where I think that would be a good option. Aaron Sears would be a slight reach there in my opinion.

Comment

O-Line is a possibility, but if we were to draft someone it would probably be an OT. I'm fine with Winston Justice at LT but we will need a good replacement for Runyan. I wouldn't mind us taking an offensive lineman if Levi Brown were to fall, and that's the only scenario where I think that would be a good option. Aaron Sears would be a slight reach there in my opinion.
        You don't like this lineup?

Winston Justice - Max Jean-Gilles - Jamaal Jackson - Shawn Andrews - Todd Herremans

I would like to see this before going OL in the 1st. MJG has a load of potential and I'd like to see how he does, I also think Herremans is a natural tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
          You don't like this lineup?

Winston Justice - Max Jean-Gilles - Jamaal Jackson - Shawn Andrews - Todd Herremans

I would like to see this before going OL in the 1st. MJG has a load of potential and I'd like to see how he does, I also think Herremans is a natural tackle.
          Good point, I do like that lineup and really hope that MJG pans out. I was just mainly going with Green Kool Aid's scenario if we were to address O-line I think we would go tackle. Only if Levi Brown were to fall would I be ok with that pick because it would be great value. That and it would allow us to have fantastic depth on our offensive line. We could start Brown at RT, keep Herremans at LG and let MJG compete with him for it. Or we could move Herremans to tackle, and let him back up Brown. I really like to have depth on the offensive line, so in that case I would be ok with it.

Comment

Good point, I do like that lineup and really hope that MJG pans out. I was just mainly going with Green Kool Aid's scenario if we were to address O-line I think we would go tackle. Only if Levi Brown were to fall would I be ok with that pick because it would be great value. That and it would allow us to have fantastic depth on our offensive line. We could start Brown at RT, keep Herremans at LG and let MJG compete with him for it. Or we could move Herremans to tackle, and let him back up Brown. I really like to have depth on the offensive line, so in that case I would be ok with it.
            I don't think they'll go O-Line this year because we have too many on the roster already. Herremans will be the future RT. It's D-line or DB, where we need the most help. I meant that the Eagles only use first rounders on both lines, QB, or CB.

Comment

I don't think they'll go O-Line this year because we have too many on the roster already. Herremans will be the future RT. It's D-line or DB, where we need the most help. I meant that the Eagles only use first rounders on both lines, QB, or CB.

Why? Just because that is what happened since Reid got here? We also used one on Mitchell, a WR. Just because that is what happened doesn't mean those are the only positions they use a 1st rounder on.

Comment

Wait, wtf?? You were definitely just talking about going O-line in the draft. As for D-line there aren't really any players that would be good value where we pick unless someone falls.

Comment

Wait, wtf?? You were definitely just talking about going O-line in the draft. As for D-line there aren't really any players that would be good value where we pick unless someone falls.
                  I was refering to the 2004 Shawn Andrews draft as an example of when the Eagles were stacked at O-line, but still took Andrews.

And the Eagles could think that an Anthony Spencer, Quentin Moses, or Charles Johnson is worth a low first rounder. They thought that Patterson, who was a consensus 2nd-3rd rounder, was worth a low first rounder.

Comment

Andy Reid believes in controlling the trenches on both sides of the ball. In past drafts, he has invested heavily in the OLine (2006 was a key example of this). There may be 1 OLine prospect out there (likely an OT), but it is not as critical a need as the DLine. The team only has 6 draft picks. I could definitely see a bunch of UDFA's on the OLine and DLine, but that really doesn't count in most cases.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I'm not gonna go into depth on this one

R.1- Michael Griffin S Texas
                      R.2- David Harris MLB Michigan
                      R.3- Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
                      R.5- Jay Moore DE Nebraska
                      R.6- Jackie Battle RB/FB Houston
                      R.7- Jonny Harline TE B.Y.U

What do you guys think?
                      Last edited by Go_Eagles77; 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM.

Comment

What's everybody so down on Trent Cole for? Scott says he isn't a starter in the Team Draft Needs section and GKA laughs him off in this thread..... Did I miss something or wasn't this guy the most consistent pass rusher on the team?
                        I understand that due to his size he might only be a 2-down player, but that's the way a lot of DE's are anymore
                        Wish List at 19:

1. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
                        2. Chris Williams
                        3. Kenny Phillips
                        4. Devin Thomas

Comment

Whoa, wait a sec. I didn't do anything of the sort. Trent Cole is a good DE, but because of his size, and the way most teams play now, I think we will need depth, and a future starter at the other DE position.

I only say this for two reasons. One, because it is the Eagles philosophy to take linemen in the first round. Two, because Kearse is injury prone and expensive. Hugh Douglas said on WIP that he saw Kearse recently, and he looked really light because of his injury, about 220-230 lbs. He may not be ready for the season, nor would I like to depend on him.

Darren Howard all but disappeared across form Cole, and he is also expensive. I think he sticks around for a year in order to get some value for his deal. He'll need a good year to continue being on the team.

McDougle is gone. Juqua Thomas is a nice rotation guy but he's 29 and at his peak right now. Gocong is an unknown quantity. All I meant was DE depth would be good, and it matches the Eagles philosophy.

Look out for Anthony Spencer. He didn't play top-notch quality opponents at Purdue, but those numbers don't lie. Others like Charles Johnson, but I think he was successful as Quentin Moses saw mostly double teams. I still like Michael Griffin in the first, but don't be surprised if he doesn't last past the Pats.

Matter of fact, this would be a great two first rounds:

1. Michael Griffin
                          2. Quentin Moses(A) or Victor Abiamiri(B).

And Brian Leonard somehow too (why not get greedy).
                          Last edited by Green Kool Aid; 04-13-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I'd like to share my own Eagles mock. Well, this is more of what I hope happens than what I think will happen.

*I guarantee we will find a way to get another mid-round pick

Round One - Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh, CB/S

I'd love to get Revis. We'd probably have to trade up to get him now as he's, according to Scott Wright, the best CB in the draft right now. He's got the size and physicalness to be a safety and the speed and athleticism to be a cornerback. Having the option of putting him at either CB or S would be a big plus because both William James and Sean Considine have many question marks.

Round Two - Buster Davis, Florida State, LB

I was very surprised to see Scott Wright not put Davis in the first three rounds of his most recent mock. He has plenty of strengths and it seems that his only weakness is his height. His strengths according to Scott Wright: very instinctive and is always around the action...big hitter and solid tackler... good pass rusher blitzer... versatile and can play either ILB or OLB... strong with a sturdy frame... moves well with sideline-to-sideline range... has a lot of experience... has a high football IQ and is like an extra coach on the field... was very productive... an excellent leader with great intangibles... has a lot of special teams talent. Seems that he would fit the Eagles perfectly.

Round Three - Michael Bush, RB, Louisville

*Round Four - Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton

Round Five - Allen Barbe, OT, Missouri Southern St.

Round Six - Yamon Figurs, WR, Kansas St.

Round Seven - Jay Alford, DT, Penn State

Players that could possibly be traded on draft day:

William Thomas, OT
                            Greg Lewis, WR
                            Ryan Moats, RB
                            Jerome McDougle, DE
                            Dhani Jones, LB
                            Matt McCoy, LB

Comment

I hope they make a couple of trades including our #1 for a #2 and a #3.
                              Other possible moves - Tra Thomas for a #4
                              Greg Lewis for a #5

2 Jason Hill - WR
                              2a Tim Crowder - DE
                              3 Sabby Piscatelli - S
                              3a Fred Bennett - CB
                              4 Zak DeOssie - LB
                              5 Chris Henry - RB
                              5a Alan Whitworth - TE
                              6 Jeff Rowe - QB
                              7 Jeremy Clark - DT

Comment

Well I am back. With the recent news out there this is how I would like the draft to work out.
                                1. Michael Griffin, S. We all know that Safety is our biggest need now that we have aquired Takeo Spikes. Griffin is capable of playing either Safety spot, and would fit our Defense well at either. By week 5 or 6, he may be our starting SS to take over for Considine. He will team up with Dawkins and we will once again have a formittable secondary.
                                2. Brian Leonard, FB/RB. It seems as though some people are beginning to favor Leonard now that we have filled some of our other needs. But he will be a dynamic force in our offense that will help make it one of the best in the league.
                                3. Anthony Waters, MLB. It seems that Gaither will stay at WILL, but if he does move to MIKE, Waters is capable of playing WILL as well. Before his injury he was expected to be in the running for the first LB taken in this year's draft. If he is fully recovered from his injury, which it seems as though he is, we would be getting a major steal here. He is equally good against the run and pass, which would help our defense a lot in the future. Waters will most likely sit for a year or two until Trotter retires. But when he takes over, I would love to have our LBs have him in the middle.
                                5. Mike Walker, WR. I know I have been adament about not wanting a WR, but I don't see very many real needs. He is a potential sleeper who could make an impact for our team. If he is anywhere close to a steal, the Eagles may have one of the best overall receiving corps in the league in a few years. Brown, Curtis, Baskett, Avant, and Walker is a very good and very deep set of WRs.
                                6. Courtney Brown, CB. Another sleeper pick who could go anywhere from the sixth round to undrafted. There has been a lot of news about him in the past month and I like what he brings to the table. If he is a possible pick, our FO will be asking Gocong about him, since they played two years together at Cal Poly. There are other options that we could go with at CB here, but I like Brown right now.
                                7. Gabe Hall, OT. A big, quick OT that would help make our O-line even more deep and talented. It seems pretty obvious that our FO drafts at least one linemen every year, and with the new acquisition at DT, O-line seems more likely to me.

I don't have us taking any DEs or TEs because next year's draft class is very deep in both of these positions. It seems as though LJ will be back, because we have enough cap space that we could sign him, but that remains to be seen. This year's draft class is very deep at DE, so it is still a possibility. It is very possible that we draft one or both of these positions in this upcoming draft.
                                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information