This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
    Why do you assume Reid didn't learn his lesson?

Westbrook had 240 carries and 77 receptions in 2006, he produced 1916 yards from scrimmage and 11 touchdowns. In 2007, 278 carries and 90 receptions, 2104 yfs and 12 touchdowns.

Staley was a good back in his prime, I liked him too, but Westbrook is a much better back now.
    The real question is: How often does Reid shove Westbrook down a defense's throat when McNabb is healthy and under center? Ask any Eagles fan, theyll tell you not as much as he should.

No doubt Westbrook is better, Im just talking about Reid's tenior as a whole. He's a great HC, but his one weakness is his refusal to run more than he does.

Comment

• I did check your stat though, and you're right BBD:

Only 36% of the Eagles' offensive plays last year were runs, which ranks 29th in the league.

It should be noted that the Eagles run a lot more RB screens than most other teams, in fact they are tied with the Redskins for most in the league with 40 (Westbrook 33).

Is it just me, or is the RB screen pass a staple in every NFC East offense?
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I did check your stat though, and you're right BBD:

Only 36% of the Eagles' offensive plays last year were runs, which ranks 29th in the league.

It should be noted that the Eagles run a lot more RB screens than most other teams, in fact they are tied with the Redskins for most in the league with 40 (Westbrook 33).

Is it just me, or is the RB screen pass a staple in every NFC East offense?
        noooo, we (the Giants) are probably the worst screen pass team in the league. im actually quite disappointed in that, we need to improve on that.

i love the screen pass. Its not a run though, contrary to what some believe. A run play takes a lot more energy away from the dline and the LBs than a screen pass. Thats why a short pass is not equivalent to a run, even though the yardage might indicate that it is.

Comment

• The Eagles use the screen as a "run". Reid says that any RB screen counts as a run play on his "balance" chart. I don't have stats, but the Eagles usually have success on their screens, especially with Westbrook.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• I agree that the run game is a more effective way to grind than the short pass. However, Reid's philosophy values both equally.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Also interesting is that, in terms of percentage of passing plays when ahead in the second half, the Eagles were first last year with 59%. Giving further credence to BBD's point.

Although I would add that I'd like to pound the ball with Buckhalter more than Westbrook in those type of situations, to preserve Westbrook some.
              Last edited by Geo; 08-26-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• The team already said that it would be lessening Westbrook's touches this year using Buck and Booker. Booker can approximate much of what Westbrook does, and we all agree that Buck can pound the ball well between the tackles. Buck's being 2 years removed from his third major knee surgery helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  noooo, we (the Giants) are probably the worst screen pass team in the league. im actually quite disappointed in that, we need to improve on that.
                  Jacobs would probably just drop a good amount of them anyways, his hands aren't that great. Bradshaw coming in might tip off the opposing defense.

(btw, the Giants offense was most effective - by a large margin - on three wide receiver sets. Good thing they drafted Steve Smith, now hope Manningham can step in when Toomer steps out.)

Much thanks to Pro Football Prospects 2008 for all this btw.

Comment

Jacobs would probably just drop a good amount of them anyways, his hands aren't that great. Bradshaw coming in might tip off the opposing defense.

(btw, the Giants offense was most effective - by a large margin - on three wide receiver sets. Good thing they drafted Steve Smith, now hope Manningham can step in when Toomer steps out.)

Much thanks to Pro Football Prospects 2008 for all this btw.
                    The Giants offense is based on a 3 WR set. The TE is really just a blocker in our scheme, thats why Shockey never put up the numbers he wanted. Thats also why Eli struggled prior to Steve Smith emerging as our #3 WR. For an offense built on a 3 WR set, we only had 2 WRs worth caring for, and one of them (Burress) not being the best route runner in the world.

Once we got a credible slot WR in there Eli finally "turned the corner" (i hate that term, bc its far from the truth).

I actually like what im seeing from Hixon, and think that he can be Toomer's replacement. Eli and him have chemistry too.

but anyway, this is the Eagles discussion, lets not sidetrack.

Many don't know Stewart Bradley's name outside of the Philly faithful, but Im tellin ya, this guy could be a pro bowler this year. Bradley is a beast.

Comment

• Yeah BBD Bradley looks good. He's a perfect MLB in our scheme, akin to Jeremiah Trotter. Plays great downhill. Gaither has progressed well in his first two years and if he and Bradley can be as good as advertised, the Eagles could have a nice set of LBs if Gocong can also progress. I still think Gocong is a better 3-4 OLB.

Comment

• back to the Westbrook thing, Westy gets his touches. Last year he had 278 carries and 90 receptions and If memory serves me right, I think Westbrook missed 1 game completely and at least half of another. He had the ball 368 times last season, LT had the ball 375 times so there is not that big of a difference. Westbrook would have most likely surpassed that number had he played all 16 games. I like Westy the way he is, 15-20 carries a game and 3-7 receptions a game. Westy isn't very durable so, I like the fact that Andy keeps his workload down. I think a misconception about the Eagles is that the Eagles pass way too much. Literally that is true, but alot of the passing is used as the running game with short/screen patterns and forcing WRs to get YAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Many don't know Stewart Bradley's name outside of the Philly faithful, but Im tellin ya, this guy could be a pro bowler this year. Bradley is a beast.
                          I'm not sure if he is a Pro-Bowler this year, and I am one of Bradley biggest backers. I've been on this kid like you wouldn't beleive since we drafted him. I think he can play like a Pro-Bowl MIKE this year, but in most cases, you need some sort of cred built up before fans really begin to care about voting you in. There are the rare cases like we have had recently with Merriman, Tatupu, Texans MIKE (freakin names), and Patrick Willis that are Pro-Bowl LBs their first year in the league, but that really doesn't happen a lot. (Bradley would basically be a rookie, first year starting out as a starter.) I definitely think he has the potential to be great. I do like What Gerris Wilkinson does for the Giants though, I liked him when he entered the league, though, ignoring homerism, I like Bradley more.
                          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• My final 53 man roster predicition:

Offense:

QB: McNabb, Kolb, Feeley
                            RB: Westy, Bucky, Booker
                            FB: Davis
                            WR: Curtis, Brown, Jackson, Avant, Baskett
                            TE: Smith, Celek, Schoebel
                            LT: Thomas, Dunlap
                            LG: Herremans, Young
                            C: Jackson, Cole
                            RG: Andrews, MJG
                            RT: Runyan, Justice

Total: 25

Defense:

LDE: Abiamiri, Parker, Clemons
                            RDE: Cole, Howard, McDougle
                            DT: Bunkley, Patterson, Laws, Klecko
                            WLB: Gaither, Jordan
                            MLB: Bradley, Mays
                            SLB: Gocong, Boiman
                            CB: Samuel, Brown, Sheppard, Hanson
                            FS: Dawkins, Reed, Demps
                            SS: Mikell, Considine

Total: 25

Special Teams:
                            K: Akers
                            P: Rocca
                            LS: Dorenbos

Total: 53
                            Young guys IRed or put on the practice squad:
                            RB/FB Tony Hunt
                            OL: Mike McGlynn
                            RDE: Bryan Smith
                            SLB: Andy Studebaker
                            S: Marcus Paschal (eligibility: ?)
                            CB: Nick Graham (eligibilty: ?)
                            There are others, those are just some of the fringe guys that I thought I'd bring up.

Some things I could see going the other way:

Greg Lewis may make the team as a 6th WR, but that would put one of the Free Safeties out, IMO. Most likely Reed. Either that or Reed is moved to SS and Considine is cut. Reed is versatile enough to play either S, IMO.

McGlynn getting the spot over Scott Young

Studebaker getting the backup SLB over Boiman

Bryan Smith making the roster and putting either McDougle or Howard out of a job.

Abiamiri beign put on IR from his wrist and Smith making it as a RDE, putting Howard or McDougle at LDE.

Tony Hunt winning the FB position.

Wilson wins the third TE position.

Graham makes the team as the 5th CB, putting in a similar situation if GLew makes the team. Either Reed or Considine would go.

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                              Texans MIKE (freakin names),
                              DeMeco Ryans.

Comment

• Thank you, I had it when I was writing it, but lost it, and figured there was little point in trying to get it back. Perhaps I have some unknown concussion that caused damage to my brain that I never knew about, or there is just domehting worng in my head, but names can be killers for me sometimes, and it makes it seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, which really ticks me off. I rmemeber everything else very well, especially numnbers. Who knows, maybe I'm just dumb, haha.

Holy crap, maybe I'm dyslexic too. That paragraph is pretty butchered.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information