This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by renegade View Post
    BTW guys Quintin Demps played a great game on Thursday he played 4th CB, SS and a few FS plays and he was great out there. I really like him and I have felt like the Eagles got a steal since training camp. Good kick returner and he could be the future FS of the Eagles.
    I would love for Demps to develop into a good starter for us. I had high hopes for CJ Gaddis last year... which was disappointing. The Eagles have done a fantastic job of getting the most out of mid round players. The only first round picks starting on our defense are our DT's, Bunkley and Patterson.

Comment

• Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
      Neither Plax nor Pierce were the reason the Eagles lost the last game.
      But what he is saying is that the distraction, though Pierce will still be playing, may be enough that the Giants may not have total focus on this game, which could work to the Eagles advantage. I know you were taling about playcalling as the problem, but he does have a valid point, though i don't think it will have as big of an impact as bsaza was saying.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
        Lito is so damn inconsistent. He played some good football last season (he did a good job covering TO and Randy Moss), but as usual, he follows a good season with a bad one.
        I honestly don't know what to make of him. With how Hanson has played and if Ike can come back and make an impact after he gets healthy, we may not need Lito anymore, and with his salary (though it isn't too bad), it certainly wouldn't hurt to trade him if the return is fair.

Comment

I would love for Demps to develop into a good starter for us. I had high hopes for CJ Gaddis last year... which was disappointing. The Eagles have done a fantastic job of getting the most out of mid round players. The only first round picks starting on our defense are our DT's, Bunkley and Patterson.
          Cole was a 5th?
          Abiamiri was a 2nd, though Parker (FA)is still starting, I beleive.
          Gaither was a 5th, though Ahkeem Jordan is now starting (UFA I think)
          Bradley wass a 3rd
          Gocong was a 3rd
          Asante Samuel is a FA
          Sheldon Brown was a 2nd
          Dawk was a 2nd
          Mikell was a 6th?

I'm only unsure of Cole and Mikell, though I'm pretty sure Cole was a 5th. Most of our starters are from the second round, but we have found some great players in the later rounds as well.

Comment

• Also, once again, Sheldon Brown is not given enough credit. He has been playing great CB for us and is a big reason why our Defense can stop the pass.

Comment

• Mikell was a UDFA.

Comment

• Got to thinking about our offense...
                McNabb was a 1st
                Westy was a 3rd
                Curtis was a FA
                DeSean was a 2nd
                Brown was a 2nd
                Tra was a 2nd?
                Herremans was a 6th?
                Jackson was a UFA
                Andrews was a 1st, but MJG filled in well until now (was a 4th) Nic Cole is a UFA
                Runyan was a FA

There are more first and second round starters on offense than what is on defense. What does that mean? Does it mena the tlaent evaluators for defenders are better than the ones evaluating offensive players, or does it mean the people in charge of making the picks aren't listening to the talent evaluators, or do they value offense more than defense?
                Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 12-03-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Mikell was a UDFA.
                  Still, that is further evidence the point I ask in the offense post. Why do we have such success with later round players on defnese, but not as much on offense?

Comment

• Brown was a second round pick.

Comment

Brown was a second round pick.
                      Thats right, he was the ninth pick of the second round the year we got Patterson. I'll fix that, but still what does that mean about the distance in draft rounds from offense to defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                        Thats right, he was the ninth pick of the second round the year we got Patterson. I'll fix that, but still what does that mean about the distance in draft rounds from offense to defense?
                        It means that Jim Johnson can make an elite defense without spending high picks on it.

Basically, it confirms that Jim Johnson is the ******* man.

Comment

• It also means that the Eagles do an excellent job of finding players that fit their schemes in the later rounds. Don't fail to notice these things. Gocong, Bradley, Gaither, Cole, Brown, Mikell, Demps, Akeem Jordan, Laws, and even my man Considine. Plus, they took Jake Ikegwuonu from Wisconsin this past year. He's rehabbing from ACL surgery and is on IR. He had late first round talent and could easily be a steal. That's just on the defensive side...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• But getting back to the Giants game, the absence of Plax + the issues with Piece + the media attention surrounding that is a slight distraction. The Giants are still a ridiculously good team, and they play a physical style that conflicts with the more finesse style of the Eagles offense. Couple that with Spagnolo's knowledge of the Eagles O and D, and it is a tough matchup. If you look at it, the Eagles almost beat them at home a few weeks back when they were fully focused. If they play with desperation and execute, they can win. I'm still not sure...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                              Still, that is further evidence the point I ask in the offense post. Why do we have such success with later round players on defnese, but not as much on offense?
                              Jim Johnson and the position coaches on defense deserve quite a bit of credit for what they have done, but I have always found it easier to evaluate a defensive player as a pro prospect, especially LB's. Players get overlooked all the time because they lack elite measurables, but instincts on defense are the most important factor to me. Players like Demeco Ryans I knew would be great in the NFL. Defensive players historically have the lower bust rate. The biggest busts are nearly all QB's and WR's. So while we've done a great job developing our defensive players, I feel like there is a definite edge towards drafting them already.

Comment

Jim Johnson and the position coaches on defense deserve quite a bit of credit for what they have done, but I have always found it easier to evaluate a defensive player as a pro prospect, especially LB's. Players get overlooked all the time because they lack elite measurables, but instincts on defense are the most important factor to me. Players like Demeco Ryans I knew would be great in the NFL. Defensive players historically have the lower bust rate. The biggest busts are nearly all QB's and WR's. So while we've done a great job developing our defensive players, I feel like there is a definite edge towards drafting them already.
                                True, that was something I wasn't thinking about at the time, but still, our QB and WRs (the two most dificult positions to evaluate) aren't busts. I know Reggie Brown is questionable, but you'd think that we could find some later talent on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information