Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Howard back in the lineup, it just seems more complete, and you don't even need to look at production, you just know it will be better.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

with the lineup finally coming together and back on track, lets just hope that bullpen can hold up for us.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
        I like what we have gotten out of Ruiz, and think that Jaramillo has the capability to be a good catcher for the Phils. Anyone know how long the contract for Barajas was? If it was short, it would make a little more sense that a long one, considering what we have at catcher throughout the organization.

I believe it was a short-term deal, one or two years.

I too am impressed with Carlos Ruiz. He has blossomed as a legitimate threat batting and has done a good job behind the plate. Jaramillo just needs to slightly improve his hitting to a .255ish clip and then we'll see him in the Majors in no time. He's really the only player in AAA (sans maybe Happ and Segovia) that is a legitimate prospect. All the Drabeks, Carrascos, Cardenas, D'Arby Meyers, Golsons, etc. are down in A ball.
        Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

The Phillies are woefully bankrupt in terms of AAA talent. They have a bunch of A/AA prospects, but these guys need to develop. If there is a rash of injuries, they don't have much ammo to make a big trade, and there is no one really in the minors who can step in and play. This is a big problem, but given the homegrown talent (Howard, Utley, Rollins, Burrell, Victorino, Bourn, Ruiz, Hamels, Myers, Geary, and Madsen), I guess it's still okay for them to have a bit of a gap.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I do have high hopes for Scott Mathiesen, though. If you recall, he was another solid prospect who had Tommy John surgery last year. He should be back throwing next season, but he could step in. Baseball America is touting Mathiesen as a potential closer of the future if the team decides to switch Myers back to starting.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Any update from the local Philly media about Myers' condition? Shoulder strain and unreleased MRI results are not really enough to satisfy me right now.

Comment

As long as we can keep most of our roster together, I think the Phils are legitimate contenders for the next few years, especially if we can get some of these A and AA prospects up in the majors.
                Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

The Phillies' farm system is pretty dry right now. Most of the top prospects of the past few years are up in the majors right now. Howard, Rollins, Utley, Ruiz, Hamels, Myers, Madsen, Geary, Bourn, Burrell, and Victorino are home-grown. That's incredible. Right now, there are no real helpers on the horizon. Carlos Carrasco is doing well in AA, but he needs a full year there. When he rehabs from Tommy John surgery, Scott Mathiesen could be a solid starter or bullpen arm. Baseball America projects Mathiesen as a potential closer of the future.

Comment

The Phillies farm system is one of the worst in the league don't quote me on this but I think at the beginning of may, they only had like 1 HR in the whole system, its probably not that bad but it was pretty sad

sig by Jackalope

RIP VT Students 4/16/07

Vote McCain '08

Comment

I like the idea of Maths in the 'pen as a closer, hard thrower with some filthy breaking pitches. It'd work.

The farm system is incredibly dry. Carrasco is doing well but is going through some inconsistency woes though he's VERY young so he has all the time in the world (not really) to make it through the Minors. Drabek is the same (only at Lakewood, instead of high-A Clearwater) but I think we can wait on him as well. After those two, there's no real top prospects to be considered.

Greg Golson (1st overall in 2004) is a great athlete who possesses good power and excellent speed but he strikes out way too much and I believe he only has around 15 walks as of now in Clearwater. He'll be in AA-Reading by the end of the season, but he's got to cut down the Ks. He's still young enough (21) for the light to turn on.

Mike Costanzo (2nd Rounder in 2005) has a good amount of power to him (I believe 10 HRs in AA) but he is worse than Golson when it comes to not getting K'ed. He also makes way too many errors and I believe the organization gave up on him in terms of being the 3B of the Future. Excellent power, but he's like Russell Branyan in AA right now. K or HR.

JA Happ, Zack Segovia and Matt Maloney are probably #4-#5 guys at best.
                      Is that a rash?

Comment

Originally posted by jonbrodo17 View Post
                        The Phillies farm system is one of the worst in the league don't quote me on this but I think at the beginning of may, they only had like 1 HR in the whole system, its probably not that bad but it was pretty sad
                        They have absolutely no hitting above High-A ball. Their guys in AA and AAA are overmatched and only have jobs because no one else is ready to push them. I think the highest rated hitter in the system above A-ball is Jason Jamarillo, who is a AA catcher (I think). There are some good young players in A-ball, but they have to take time to develop.

Comment

Golsen is a bust IMO. He's had 3 years to prove something, and he can't make it to AA. The guy has all-world tools, but he has no idea how to use them. I'd love to get rid of him in some sort of deal, just so I don't have to keep hearing about him.

Comment

Part of the problem with the farm system is that the Phils were signing lots of FA's in the last few years, so they lost out on first round and sandwich picks. They missed out on being able to replace their prospects via the draft. Right now, last year's draft is looking pretty decent. Drabek has potential and pedigree, but Cardenas is doing fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                              Part of the problem with the farm system is that the Phils were signing lots of FA's in the last few years, so they lost out on first round and sandwich picks. They missed out on being able to replace their prospects via the draft. Right now, last year's draft is looking pretty decent. Drabek has potential and pedigree, but Cardenas is doing fantastic.
                              Good points there and I completely forgot about Adrien Cardenas! He's obviously not going to be the 2B for the future as of right now, I do think he can be a 3B though but apparently the org. doesn't think so or they wouldn't have explicitly mentioned that they needed a 3B.

I still hold out hope for Golson, I met him at a Lakewood game last year and he's a good guy. He really needs to develop an eye though at 21, it's probably a pipe dream.

I think Costanzo was a bigger bust personally. Also Jaramillo is in AAA.
                              Is that a rash?

Comment

Cardenas will probably win Minor League ROY. He is a future stud, but he doesn't have the range to play SS in the majors (and replace Jimmy), and they're also thinking he doesn't have the range to really play 3B. He's kind of a solid 2B type in the mold of Utley, but he's 19.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information