2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats up guys?

long time no posting here.. been busy with work and what not but am getting geared up for the draft again and immediately thought to check out this forum...

while ive gotten some good info, i was wondering if anyone here wouldnt mind taking a few minutes and giving me a quick rundown on some prospects we're closely linked to / guys that you think we are most likely to target in the first 3 rounds

i appreciate it, and as always, go steelers.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Round 1 possibles-

Aaron Williams CB Texas
      Cam Heyward DE ohio State
      Phil Taylor NT Baylor
      Ras-i Dowling CB Virginia

less likely ones could be danny watkins, marcus cannon, marcus gilbert, or rahim moore

second rounders id say-

Curtis Brown
      Rahim Moore if hes there
      Lance Kendricks
      James Carpenter
      James Brewer
      Ben Ijalana

round 3-

Jerrell powe
      Allen bailey
      Davon House
      Johnny patrick
      chykie brown
      will rackley
      Greg Little
      E]

Comment

• appreciate it, are those in order of who you like the best?

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Second Annual Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Game:

Rules:
          Prior to the draft, participants must submit a mock draft of their own.

For every player participants select in their mock that the Steelers select in real life, they get one point. If they had the player in the correct round as well, they get two points.

I.E. - 2008 Draft

1. Rashard Mendenhall --> 2 points
          2. Tony Hills --> 1 point
          3. Roy Schuening --> 0 points
          4. Dennis Dixon --> 1 Point
          5. Brandon Carr --> 0 points
          6. Orlando Scandrick --> 0 Points

ALL MOCK DRAFTS MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE DRAFT!

The participant with the highest amount of points wins, and they get rep from other participants, bragging rights, and other participants must acknowledge their superior Steelers knowledge and understanding with a comment or image in their respective sigs.

Post mocks in here, I'll sort them out in word, and then tally up the scores after the draft.

Death was last year's winner!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
            Second Annual Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Game:

Rules:
            Prior to the draft, participants must submit a mock draft of their own.

For every player participants select in their mock that the Steelers select in real life, they get one point. If they had the player in the correct round as well, they get two points.

I.E. - 2008 Draft

1. Rashard Mendenhall --> 2 points
            2. Tony Hills --> 1 point
            3. Roy Schuening --> 0 points
            4. Dennis Dixon --> 1 Point
            5. Brandon Carr --> 0 points
            6. Orlando Scandrick --> 0 Points

ALL MOCK DRAFTS MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE START OF THE DRAFT!

The participant with the highest amount of points wins, and they get rep from other participants, bragging rights, and other participants must acknowledge their superior Steelers knowledge and understanding with a comment or image in their respective sigs.

Post mocks in here, I'll sort them out in word, and then tally up the scores after the draft.

Death was last year's winner!
            Looking forward to defending the title

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
            Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
              while ive gotten some good info, i was wondering if anyone here wouldnt mind taking a few minutes and giving me a quick rundown on some prospects we're closely linked to / guys that you think we are most likely to target in the first 3 rounds
              welcome back, mike. if I'm handicapping our first selection, it goes something like this:

Aaron Williams (20%)
              Brandon Harris (15%)
              Derek Sherrod (15%)
              Cam Heyward (15%)
              Phil Taylor (10%)
              Danny Watkins (5%)
              Mike Pouncey (5%)
              Rest of the field (15%)

that's my take. it's a total crapshoot this year.

I'm getting the feeling we may be orchestrating a trade-down, though - say with the Cards, Niners, or Titans for a Locker/Mallet/Dalton/Ponder. I could see Curtis Brown coming under consideration for us in that scenario.

personally, I'd be a bit underwhelmed with Williams at 1.31. in a trade-down scenario where we're adding additional choices, sure, but he's got a lower ceiling than I'd prefer out of our first rounder, and isn't exactly bust-proof either. I could get on-board with Harris/Sherrod/Heyward, and maybe even Taylor. I would have some reservation about Watkins just due to his age. Pouncey would be fine I guess.

in the 2nd round, I predict we go OL. hopefully we don't reach. Carpenter, Orlando Franklin, Ben Ijelana, Marcus Cannon, or Gilbert maybe to keep the Florida pipeline going. While I think OL is the pick, I'd prefer to carpet bomb the D, though, and am zeroing in on Jarvis Jenkins or Ras-I Dowling, both solid citizens, team leaders, and starter-caliber prospects.

I'm really not studied up on the mid-rounds at all, but will say I'd like us to select Tyler Sash somewhere - as early as the 3rd round. he's not the ballhawk his stats would lead you to believe - a lot of his INTs were on poorly thrown passes - but he'd be a quality spot-starter for when #43 is out, and an asset on special teams. and, very little ramp-up time relative to other DBs, as he's played in some similar schemes at Iowa.

Comment

• What do you guys thinks of Sherrod?

I'm not really a big fan

Watched him yesterday in the Gator Bowl VS Michigan

Seemed very average, didn't sustain blocks, wasn't nasty, didn't seem like he wanted to hit anyone and was beaten a few times against a Michigan defense that wasn't very good.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• not crazy about him at all.
                  E]

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                    What do you guys thinks of Sherrod?

I'm not really a big fan
                    I'd be pretty ok with it if he's their guy. caveat: I'm not a big scout dude, I don't watch tape. I listen to as many sources as I can and call on youtube a bit, so my impression is way far from complete. that said, he appears to have a pretty good first step and react out of his stance. seems like he's just big enough to engulf smaller rushers, and just quick enough to seal off the edge. doesn't get walked back into the pocket. in short, he seems to do everything pretty well. he's not a dominator, but there's not some major flaw in his game that's going to keep him off the field. no major injury history, and he's faced elite competition throughout his career.

I think the general consensus is he's a steady prospect who will probably be a quality starter but not a star. unlike so many OT prospects, he won't need moved inside. in a stronger draft, he's a classic 2nd rounder - in this draft, he's fringe first. I could see him going in the low 20s, and I could see him going in the mid-40s, possibly to us via trade-down. TBH, he kind of reminds me of Marvel. and, if that's what we were getting, cool.

Comment

• 1st pick (whether trade up or trade down) top 10 Big Board:

1. Mike Pouncey G Florida
                      2. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
                      3. Gabe Carimi T Wisconsin
                      4. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
                      5. Danny Watkins G Baylor
                      6. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
                      7. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
                      8. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
                      9. Brandon Harris CB Miami FL
                      10. Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State

If the Steelers drafted any of these players, I would be on board with their decision all the way. However, could not find more than 10 names I'd feel good walking away with as our first pick this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitt View Post
                        1st pick (whether trade up or trade down) top 10 Big Board:

1. Mike Pouncey G Florida
                        2. Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State
                        3. Gabe Carimi T Wisconsin
                        4. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
                        5. Danny Watkins G Baylor
                        6. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
                        7. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
                        8. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
                        9. Brandon Harris CB Miami FL
                        10. Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State

If the Steelers drafted any of these players, I would be on board with their decision all the way. However, could not find more than 10 names I'd feel good walking away with as our first pick this year.
                        mine would go

Mike Pouncey
                        Cam Heyward
                        Aaron Williams
                        Gabe Carimi
                        Ras-i dowling
                        Phil Taylor
                        Brandon Harris
                        Jimmy Smith...i know i know karacter konsernz
                        Curtis Brown
                        Rahim Moore
                        E]

Comment

• I wouldn't mind Smith, but just keeping hearing how he's souring up draft boards, so I didn't include him. Curtis Brown I wouldn't feel good about being our first pick. Second pick, yeah. If that makes sense.

Comment

• i think brown will be a better corner than williams....williams though i think would be good at either CB or FS with us at least...if that makes sense.

plus you said whether we trade up or down....this would be a down, as would moore, and harris
                            E]

Comment

• Yeah but we wouldn't be trading down too far, so I still wouldn't feel good about Brown being our top prospect out of this draft. I'd like Brown if he were paired with another, similar to the Timmons/Woodley situation;

1. Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
                              2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Aaron Williams CB/S Texas
                              2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

1. Rahim Moore FS UCLA
                              2. Curtis Brown CB Texas

But this to me does not look good;

1. Curtis Brown CB Texas

And by "1." and "2." I'm referring to picks, not rounds.

Comment

• I firmly believe Aaron Williams can stay at CB for the Steelers. I feel the same way about Malcolm Jenkins as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information