No announcement yet.

Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are several ways to improve. We jsut need to find out, who on the roster can cut it. Example I like Krieder, but picking up Leonard helps the running game, the passing game, and the blocking game. So which way do we go. yes, a great DLmen can improve our overall D, so Branch, if he comes out is a possability.

Comment

• If someone can, I need to find out the last time the Steelers were shut out twice in one season. I'm working on an article, and I'm having trouble finding past schedules (before 2002).

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
      Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.

Comment

• 1989 - we were shut out 3 times that year, let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDub
          1989 - we were shut out 3 times that year, let's hope that doesn't happen again.
          Thanks! :D

Xbox Live Gamertag: DocSteel92
          Rest in peace, Randy Pausch.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDub
            THav - I wish I could go back to some of my previous posts to quote now, but it's nice to see more intelligent posters comming back, as you, richdg, mr. stiller, and smooth have all recently expressed some of the same opinions that I had posted back in Aug.

Some of the problems that I saw in the preseason have really come to light as the season has progressed, most notably the lackluster performance of the O-line and a team-wide lack of motivation.

Without going into great detail, yet, the positions that I currently feel we need to see the most improvement from between now and next year are:

1. OT
            2. OLB
            3. OG
            4. ILB
            5. CB
            6. WR
            7. KR/PR
            8. RB

In the near future I will go into detail on each of these positions and the list is flexible depending on the positional play throughout the remainder of the season.

Obviously this is just my opinion and the list, as well as how to address each of the problems, is up for debate.

As for drafting someone like Dwayne Jarrett, some size at the WR pos. is certainly a need in my mind and if we were to draft him I would not have a problem with that at all (I'd actually be pretty excited). The thing is, as you, and I, have said it all depends on what the front office feels is the biggest concern, who they have ranked where on their board, and who is available when we draft.

As I have said before, it is always fun to speculate on the future moves of your favorite team, what sucks is waiting to find out what happens and how close your predictions are.
            CDub, Thank you and certainly look forward to your posts and thoughts. Seems like we have real similar thoughts on this board. Awesome to read and write but an understanding we really don't have any say so in what happens, meaning we need to be open minded. I agree on a guy like Jarrett. We have other needs, bigger needs, but IF the pick was made, I could easily buy into the reasons and be excited. I still feel like Roethlisberger can be a great QB. I'm all for the Steelers running the ball, but I don't want to purposely not give Ben great weapons. An offensive line would be imperative if Ben is to become a top 5 qb, but i think that can happen in several varieties other than drafting a OT in the 1st round.

It'd be nice to only have one weakness but that's just not us right now. It's sad that in your list of needs, the first 4 positions are basically 2 positions (O-line and LB).

I'm a big fan of best player available at a position of need in the 1st round. You have 6 other rounds and all of free agency to worry about need. I like coming out of round 1 with a stud. Not only do I not like pin-pointing someone or some position because I think you can get into trouble with reaching, but it's not our decision anyway and we don't know if the Steelers are pin-pointing on that same position.

I know sometimes the Steelers take certain players in certain rounds or vice versa, or have somewhat of a history of how a position is supposed to be played, but I don't always buy into this theory. I'm always up for making the Steelers better than ever. Whether that's getting a freak 3-4 DE that's better than our average do what it takes guy, or drafting a first round WR (like last year when many were against) to give Ben weapons upon weapons, or even drafting a lockdown corner cuz we're used to giving the WR a 10 yard cushion. However, I'm also aware a strength of our team needs to be linebackers (if we're in a 3-4) and every team in the NFL needs a strong offensive line, and currently those positions are hurting. We need lots of help.

Comment

• Depending on the coach...

If it's a college coach, who knows, we might be drafting their players..

Tressell (Ginn, Datish, Smith)
              Carr ( Long, Harris, Hall, Burgess, Branch)

Just off the top of my head.. not saying we will. But it's possible.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by richdg
                There are several ways to improve. We jsut need to find out, who on the roster can cut it. Example I like Krieder, but picking up Leonard helps the running game, the passing game, and the blocking game. So which way do we go. yes, a great DLmen can improve our overall D, so Branch, if he comes out is a possability.
                Richdg, I agree with what you've been saying as well. The only thing I'm not sure about with Leonard is if he can be a bigtime blocking FB. I know he has really improved in that area this year, but the NFL could be different. I'm not even really sure. Even Mike Alstott, one of the last bigtime FB's to come out, couldnt' really ever cut it as a pure blocking back, and his pro bowls withstanding, think his value was overrated. Now perhaps Leonard could be a great blocked AND do other things, OR maybe they're fine with taking him as a replacement to Verron that can do a lot of things. I guess it depends how he works out and what type of role they're looking for.

I'm biased, and looking way too far ahead, but if we pass on FB this year, I'm already pulling for Owen Schmitt, FB WVU, in the 08 draft (very late). No need to analyze this comment though, I'll be the first to admit it's a bit asanine.

I've stated I love Branch and the idea of a bigtime DE before, and hate when others just continue to write the same things over and over, but since you commented, lol, I'll just agree that I'd love the idea of taking a guy like him first round, then grabbing a LB in round 2, and all of a sudden the front 7 is looking better.

Teams are always finding Marcus McNeils, Nick Kaczurs, Ryan OCallaghans, I just wish the Steelers could do the same. We do have plenty of youth on the roster though. Here's hoping they give them some time!

Comment

• Offensive line is really problem, but the steelers already have alot of young talent on their bench. The bigger question than if we are going to a line men in the first round, is what are we going to do with Max Starks, personally he think he is awfull but he is awfully young. If we would give a 2-3 year incentive laden deal I think we should do it. As far as first round draft pick I think we need to take the best player on the board. As far as linemen I like and I think the Steelers would like the verstility of C/G Kyle Young or T/G Justin Blaylock.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                  Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Originally posted by THav916
                    Originally posted by richdg
                    There are several ways to improve. We jsut need to find out, who on the roster can cut it. Example I like Krieder, but picking up Leonard helps the running game, the passing game, and the blocking game. So which way do we go. yes, a great DLmen can improve our overall D, so Branch, if he comes out is a possability.
                    Richdg, I agree with what you've been saying as well. The only thing I'm not sure about with Leonard is if he can be a bigtime blocking FB. I know he has really improved in that area this year, but the NFL could be different. I'm not even really sure. Even Mike Alstott, one of the last bigtime FB's to come out, couldnt' really ever cut it as a pure blocking back, and his pro bowls withstanding, think his value was overrated. Now perhaps Leonard could be a great blocked AND do other things, OR maybe they're fine with taking him as a replacement to Verron that can do a lot of things. I guess it depends how he works out and what type of role they're looking for.
                    my opinion is Leonard is fast and strong enough to hold the block at point of attack. He's much faster than Kreider and in fact if he can block and disengage for Ray Rice as well as he has... He could do the same for Willie. I love Dan Kreider, but he's a power blocker, Leonards a finesse speed blocker, that can catch and run the ball. Giving us another target. I don't care about history as much as some, but any target helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathbyStat
                      Offensive line is really problem, but the steelers already have alot of young talent on their bench. The bigger question than if we are going to a line men in the first round, is what are we going to do with Max Starks, personally he think he is awfull but he is awfully young. If we would give a 2-3 year incentive laden deal I think we should do it. As far as first round draft pick I think we need to take the best player on the board. As far as linemen I like and I think the Steelers would like the verstility of C/G Kyle Young or T/G Justin Blaylock.
                      Young had been skipping class and was either suspended or Dismissed. Justin Blalock is ok, but after watching the Nebraska game and a few others I was unimpressed. Joe Staley is the guy i want if we want Versatility.. or Arron Sears.. both second rounders, but both hold great ability for Gaurd or Tackle.

Comment

• I like Staley, but we don't know if he is the type that will fit. he is a smaller finess OLmen, ie Simmons and Hartings. Yes, he has room to grow. Could easily add another 15-20 pounds. He plays about 295 now. In today's NFL a 300lb lineman is small. Look at our guys now. Faneca is about 305 and Smith is about 310. That will work on the left side, but the right is all about power. Most of the top T's are 315+. Ogden, Pace, Jones, McKinnie, etc...

Comment

• I just read the first 3 words and thought you meant Duce.

But really you don't want a huge guy. Look what we have with Starks. Sure he is huge and strong but he is competely immobile.

DEs are becoming smaller and faster every year. Guys like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Terrell Suggs, Derrikc Burgess and Dwight Freeney just run past all of these huge tackles. Plus with the 3-4 defense you get guys like Ware, Merriman and Porter as the edge rushers and they can usually run past tackles.

Huge tackles seem like a great thing but tackles in todays game need to be more mobile to keep up with the speed of the DEs. Some of the huge guys are great run blockers but horrible pass blockers because they can't keep up.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• ESPN is reporting that Ward had knee surgery and is out for atleast 1 week.

NFL network is reporting that Cowher said Polamalu suffered a significant knee injury in the Baltimore game.

Looks like they'll both be gone against TB this week.

Comment

• I just read on another site that Polamalu tore his ACL and MCL and is out for the rest of the year and questionable for next season.

Comment

• they just showed that Polamalu had a strained MCL and was out for 2 weeks on ESPN during MNF. I hope thats true and not the tear.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information